Best Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aaron W, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I'm heading to Vegas in a few weeks for a work conference. I'm planning on seeing a Cirque du Soleil show while I'm there, but unsure which of the seven to see. I'll only have enough time to see one, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from others who have experienced any of the Cirque shows currently playing in Vegas. Right now I'm leaning toward Mystère as it sounds like the most classic type of Cirque du Soleil performance and I've never actually been to any of their shows before.
  2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Not a big Cirque du Soleil fan, but we really loved the Beatles' one ("Love", if it's still there). To be honest, I hated "Zumanity" (I have tremendous respect for the performers & their incredible talents), but that show just wasn't my cup of tea, I guess.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I've seen several Cirque shows, tho none of the ones currently in Vegas. Mystère does indeed sound like the most typical, and would give you a good sense of what Cirque is all about. Zarkana also. (For me, if I ever do get to Vegas I'd see O, just because it's unique and won't ever show anywhere else.)

But another good strategy is to go see the film Cirque du Soliel: Worlds Away, if you can (it opened before Christmas, might still be playing near you). It's basically a "best of Vegas Cirque shows" strung together with an overarching plot (sort of. as much as any Cirque show has a plot). If there are any scenes/routines in the movie that particularly strike you, that's your live show to go see.
  4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Check which night you're free; some shows might be dark on certain days of the week.

Of the shows I've seen:

Mystere is probably the oldest Cirque show in Vegas. Yes, it's a very good intro for a Cirque first-timer. And yes, Aaron, you're right in that it's slanted towards Cirque's actual circusy/acrobatic/street-performerish roots. I'd give it 4 stars out of 5. Tickets are cheap relative to the other Cirque shows too.

Of all the Cirque shows, I enjoyed O the best (5 out of 5) because it still has those original circusy/acrobatic roots, with the added dimension of the water tank.

I also enjoyed Zumanity (4 out of 5) although this would be better enjoyed with a free-wheeling, open-minded date (they have special sofas/loveseats made for 2). None of the acts struck me as risque except for the flying harness/trapeze common to all Cirque shows which, here, they turned into a simulated asphyxiation routine.

Beatles Love (3 out of 5) - saw this one over the holiday break recently; more stage performance than circus/acrobatic act. If you are a huge Beatles fan though, then this might be worth it.

KA (3 out of 5) - a lot of people I've talked to really liked the 360-degree rotating stage, but for the price, I felt there wasn't enough action for the buck. I found the slow parts, common to all Cirque shows, especially interminable here. Also, I sat in the front row and saw up close all the tiny safety wires/mechanisms that sprout out of nowhere - poles, the stage, the costumes - so that spoiled a bit of the skill/thrill element for me.

If you also have time and $$$, try Absinthe, which is not Cirque du Soleil and which I also saw over the holiday break recently. It's everything Zumanity ought to be but isn't. Zumanity tries a bit too hard to be indirectly suggestive with their S&M acts, while Absinthe manages to pack in a very overt and raunchy slapstick comedy routine with a surprisingly good amount of plain old circusy/acrobatic routines. A much better bang for the buck.
  5. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

When I was there I saw 3... Mystere, Zumanity, and Zarkana.
    I'd recommend Mystere for sure. Zumanity was also great... Zarkana was my least fav ever, even including the 2 I've seen outside of Vegas.
    I've also heard nothing but great things about "O".

I looooooooooooooooooooove Cirque so much though!! Have tickets for Amaluna coming up in a few months. :)
  6. genegri

genegri Active Member

My family spent a few days in Vegas this holiday season and watch 4 shows, 2 of them were Cirque:

Mystere - Original Cirque show. Good if you are into acrobatics. My in-laws thought it was the best.

Love - If you like the Beatles, you will like Love.

I also second the suggestion of Worlds Away if you can find it in a local theater.

The other two we watched were:

Le Reve - Similar to a Cirque show, and I lurved it the most of the bunch. Fantastic visual. Be sure to sit as far back as you can.

Jubiliee - the topless version. DH and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't invite the in-laws though. :cool::p
  7. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I loved Ka more than the touring show I saw, I thought the story elements were better. The rotating stage is awesome.
  8. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

O is my favorite Cirque show and my favorite live performance of any type, ever. There's amazing circus and gymnastics, a jaw-dropping and fascinating set, and great audience interaction. I was in the front row and got splashed by the divers and picked on by a clown. :lol: Wheeeeeee :rollin:.

I hate Las Vegas, but the next time there and have any free time, I'd see O again. I'd do a trip to Vegas to see a Cirque marathon, actually.
  9. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I've only seen Mystere, and loved it! It was amazing how they were able to draw your attention in so thoroughly that you had no idea what was going to spring up next on the other side of the stage! Really enjoyed it!
  10. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I've seen most of the Vegas shows -except Zarkana, which just opened, and Criss Angel which doesn't interest me (It's officially a Cirque show, but it really isn't).

My faves were KA and Love- very different from each other, but equally good. Love is dancier and less acrobatic, but has great music and staging. KA has some amazing effects (try to sit close to the stage in the centre- things will happen right above your head). I liked the "quieter moments". I would rate both 5/5.

Neither will ever travel outside Vegas- the staging is too expensive and complicated.

Next would be "O", which is also excellent and likewise will never travel. I'd rate it 4.5/5

Mystere was fine- and it improved when they added a couple of acts (I saw it twice and enjoyed it more the second time) -more circusy than the others- 4/5.

Zumanity- not so much for me- I think it was trying too hard to be risque and not quite making it. 2/5 (I would avoid this if you are going with your parents or (grown up) kids.

I would second "La Reve"- it's not a cirque show but it could be.
  11. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Well my top three prospects were Mystère, Love, and O, but it turns out there aren't any performances for Love on the evening I'm free and there aren't any available seats together for O (I'm going with a coworker/friend). So we opted to buy tickets to Mystère. I'd definitely like to see the other two if I'm back in Vegas sometime soon, but it sounds like Mystère is a great show. Thanks all! :40beers:
  12. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Nice, good intro for the first timer and hopefully it'll leave you wanting more. Enjoy! :)
  13. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

O was fabulous -- it was worth every penny and I'd see it again. Like someone else posted, we chose it mostly because we could not see it anywhere else.
  14. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it but I've heard great things about La Reve. It was produced by one of the original Cirque producers (the one who made Alegria and Quidam) and it seems to show. I love the older shows better than the new ones because the concepts are tighter.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I've seen O, Ka, Mystere, and Love.

Of those four, Love was my favorite. I'm in the minority, but I preferred Ka to O. They're all good though and I'm sure you'll absolutely adore whichever you choose.
  16. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Enjoy, Aaron!