Best chance of retaining their Olympic title in 2018: Hanyu or Sotnikova?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Best chance of retaining their Olympic title: Hanyu or Sotnikova?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2014.
  1. Yuzuru Hanyu

172 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. Adelina Sotnikova

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Don't know

9 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. kristykremes

kristykremes New Member

Sotnikova's technical skills are not as hot as you seem to think they are. While appropriate PCS would have already dropped her to bronze, even with the same TES, I am also sure had the Olympics been held anywhere else her TES would have been beaten by Kim easily in the short program, and by all of Kim, Kostner, and Mao Asada in the LP. That for the performance of her life, and a technical level of skating she has never come close to before, and might never again.

Her consistency is very poor, she has a bad flutz, she is prone to <, and like Slutskaya she tends to be sloppy in her execution. Big jumps and fast spins, tries to do hard steps and footwork, but sloppily done in many ways still. In Sochi her GOE were jacked up all over the place (while others were purposely held back), and her flutz in both programs and underrotated triple toe in the LP were simply ignored. Even some of the technical levels called of the spins and footwork sequences were questionable, both for her and her main competition.

2. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I was also thinking that in some ways she reminds me of Slutskaya, in being athletic and not not quite polished, giving a sloppy look to her skating sometimes. In spite of all that, Slutskaya's competitive career was a very long one. It was partly the Slutskaya comparison that made me think Sotnikova may also be able to compete at a high level for at least 4 more years. I suspect that may have a lot to do with what other earning opportunities she has and whether she begins to be regularly beaten by Lipnitskaya and/or other Russian youngsters.

3. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

This is by far the dumbest thing I've read in FSU in a long time. Why would "Korea" (are you referring to the entire country or...?) give a flying hoot if Hanyu, or any other Japanese skater wins in Korea especially when there's most likely not going to be a top Korean skater in the competition? It makes no sense that they will try to bribe the judges or whoever NOT to give a Japanese skater the gold just because it's going to be in Korea. I am assuming by your username you are Japanese??

4. shirokjj

shirokjj New Member

Actually I'm not, my username is based on a fansite for a k-pop star since you're so curious, hence the letters KJJ :) Are you seriously asking me why Koreans wouldn't want someone that's Japanese winning in Korea? Go to any naver or nate articles about anything/anyone Japanese and you'll see how much harsh the comments are. The hate between these two countries are deeply rooted and though I wasn't completely serious about the bribery, if you think Korea don't care about the Japanese winning on their soil then you are seriously naive.

5. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I'm aware of it, that's why I assumed you were Japanese. Anyway, my point is that "Korea" is not going to give two shits if a Japanese skater wins, or any competition for that matter where a Korean isn't favored for gold.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Whether the Koreans care if Hanyu wins or not (which I don't think they do, I think they would far rather Hanyu win the mens gold than ever in a million years see Sotnikova win the womens for instance) is irrelevant. He is likely to be so far superior to anyone else by 2018 there is nothing anyone can do to stop him, barring a bad skate like he had in Sochi in the free skate and a really good one by someone else.

7. sylvestercat

sylvestercat Member

Cant believe some people really voted for Sotnikova to defend as more likely or even "don't know", LOL! I am not an Adelina hater, I like her overall, and even if I didn't agree with her Sochi win I was super upset to see how poorly she was treated by everyone and still is today (and probably always will be unfortunately). However she has way too many things against her to ever dream of winning the 2018 Olympic gold. It would be a 2nd Miracle on Ice if it somehow happened.

8. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

Maybe a Hanyu 2.0 will rise out of the junior ranks. challenge Hanyu 1.0 closer to 2018.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

While that could happen, and it is impossible project 4 years down the road, I think it more unlikely than likely. The way mens skating typically is someone who is going to win the 2018 Games would atleast have to be a top junior today. Considering I wouldn't project any of the current junior crop winning in 2018 (I wouldn't have projected Hanyu the worlds top junior in 2010 winning this year either, but could have more easily imagined it then the current crop), nor any of the other current top senior men, Hanyu's odds are good unless he a)loses motivation, b)becomes inconsistent, c)declines in his skills, d)gets injured. It would almost be unheard of for someone who isn't even a top junior yet today, to win in 2018. That kind of thing has never happened in mens skating.

Either way what is extremely clear is his chances gulf Sotnikova's, which is all this poll is asking.

10. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would say neither of them has much chance of repeating.

11. sylvestercat

sylvestercat Member

Hanyu has a big chance to repeat. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise, and I cant stand his skating and his bloated PCS which are practically Chan-like in inflation.

12. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Sotnikova wont be defending her Olympic title unless she pulls a Tonya Harding and clubs everyone in sight, including at her own Nationals to even make the team. She will also need an elaborate disguise to even get into and be able to navigate the country safely.

Hanyu has a decent shot, probably 60%, to defend his title.

This is an embarrassing poll to make. It is like asking who is a better jumper, Midori Ito or Carolina Zhang.

justiceforfs likes this.
  13. HVS

HVS Member

I say Yuna's chance is much higher than Adelina at this point, all she need is change her mind ;)

justiceforfs likes this.
  14. sylvestercat

sylvestercat Member

A 4 triple Yu Na would be scored above a 7 triple Sotnikova at those Games. I would be willing to bet money on that. Not that Sotnikova would be the one to beat for the gold there (if she is somehow even there as the #3 Russian), so Yu Na would probably need to do more than 4 triples to win.

15. newyearsmovie

newyearsmovie Member

Sotnikova could do a program with 4 different quadruple jumps, and she still would not defend her Olympic title in 2018 in Korea.

16. RobAlly

RobAlly Member

If Yuna were to consider a comeback, perhaps the question posed could then be 'best chance for re-GAIN ing their Olympic title

justiceforfs likes this.
  17. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

Adelina skated at The Ice 2014 in Japan this week, and it was maybe the worst show performance I've ever seen. Such a pity. Her chances are only looking good right now if you mean retirement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRGEXc-jAwI

justiceforfs likes this.
  18. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Sotnikova doesn't even have a chance of winning a GP title outside of Russia. Let's be realistic here.

justiceforfs likes this.
  19. rickmercer

rickmercer Member

ROTFL at someone even suggesting Sotnikova defending her so called Olympmic title.

20. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

To be fair, I think we discovered this year that all Olympic titles are pretty worthless.

I mean there is wuzrobbed, and then there is farcical. The Olympics clearly proved to be a farce.

girlscouse62 and justiceforfs like this.
  21. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

LOL

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

GP rosters are pretty weak. I don't see how she has no chance at all outside of Russia to win a GP if she skates two clean programs and others are either so so or make a few mistakes.

23. volturemean

volturemean New Member

As if Sotnikova will be skating clean programs. Even the competition of her life in Sochi was not a clean long program, despite being scored as if it were.

justiceforfs likes this.
  24. satine94

satine94 awaiting the scores

25. sotnikovaspiral

sotnikovaspiral New Member

Sotnikova is by far the more likely although I think both will. Sotnikova is likely to win all the worlds and Olympics until she retires.

26. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

With her inconsistency, I doubt that even Sonitkova could see herself in Russian team by the time it's 2018 (70% I don't see her in Russian Nationak team in 2018). I don't think she will have much chances once Tarasova finds a new favourite. Radionova is on the way.

27. justiceforfs

justiceforfs New Member

This is a shameful question for Hanyou and his fans. He deserved OG.

28. sotnikovaspiral

No he didn't. Chan with 3 minor mistakes in the LP should have beaten Hanyu with 3 huge mistakes to the point of passing him. Chan didn't even win the LP.

Sotnikova was robbed of the 20-25 point win margin she and the whole world thinks she deserved.

29. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

^ that must be some good sh!t. ;)

30. sotnikovaspiral

Hanyu fell twice, and had a 3rd triple totally discounted. 3 huge mistakes. Chan had three step outs or 2nd foot down. 3 smaller mistakes. What is confusing.