Best BEATLES Album evah... ???

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Zokko!, Sep 20, 2012.

Favourite BEATLES Album?

1. A Hard Days Night

9.1%
  2. Rubber Soul

18.2%
  3. Revolver

20.0%
  4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band

14.5%
  5. "White Album"

12.7%
  6. Abbey Road

18.2%
  7. Other ... please state!

7.3%
  1. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I assume this has been asked before?! Anyway, tell me all about your favourite Album of the Fab Four ... to me it's "Revolver" ... and I think "Sgt. Pepper" is way overrated ... :shuffle:

2. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Revolver or Rubber Soul. It's a toss-up for me.

3. Marilou

Marilou New Member

That is just too hard! Every one of their albums had something that made it special and unique. I chose The White Album, because even after all these years, when I listen to it, I hear something I didn't hear before.

And this thread is very timely.....I just got tickets to see Paul McCartney in November :D

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Funny. I'm the 3rd person of 3 posters to think 'Revolver' was their best!

And yes, I thought that 'Sgt. Pepper' was overrated. But Rolling Stone magazine always rates it as the #1 rock/pop album of all time.

BTW, I also like the OTT 'White Album'. I remember reading that George Martin (sp?) their manager, wanted to trim the album down to 14- 16 songs, but the Beatles said 'no'.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Hard Day's Night for the individual tracks, and either Revolver or Rubber Soul for the album as a whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't think Sgt. Pepper was over-rated in 1967, and it's still a great concept album ... but I don't think it stands the test of time quite as well as some other works.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

For me it's Rubber Soul. Funny, because I never owned a copy. A girl next door to me in my freshman dorm had it, and I borrowed it--for a loooong time. :) But I did return it.

7. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Rubber Soul. For me it's all downhill after that.

8. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Rubber Soul for me too. It was the first Beatles Album to show their growth and sophistication (although there were signs of it in "Help"). And I think it's the first one to use the sitar in a song (Norwegian Wood).

But I love them all.

9. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I went with other - "The Beatles Again" album.

Songs include:

(Side One)
    Can't Buy Me Love
    I Should Have Known Better
    Paperback Writer
    Rain
    Lady Madonna
    Revolution

(Side Two)
    Hey Jude
    Old Brown Shoe
    Don't Let Me Down
    Ballad of John & Yoko

10. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

It's hard to choose--it's always between Abbey Road and Revolver with me. But Abbey Road is my fave. :)

11. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

For me, it's Yesterday and Today

Consistantly great. A transitional LP from teeny bopper pop to psychedelica.

Got a good reason for taking the easy way out...indeed

Side one

1."Drive My Car" – 2:30
    2."I'm Only Sleeping" – 3:01
    3."Nowhere Man" – 2:45
    4."Doctor Robert" – 2:15
    5."Yesterday" – 2:08
    6."Act Naturally" (Morrison–Russell) – 2:33

Side two

7."And Your Bird Can Sing" – 2:01
    8."If I Needed Someone" (George Harrison) – 2:24
    9."We Can Work It Out" – 2:15
    10."What Goes On" (Lennon–McCartney–Richard Starkey) – 2:51
    11."Day Tripper" – 2:50

12. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

This was a hard one, Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White Album are all up there as my favorites, but I think I was just a bit more obsessed with Rubber Soul when I was 16 than I was with the other two.

All great albums though... :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Remember, the UK LPs and the US LPs had different song line-ups on them until St. Pepper. My own favorite is Revolver. "Tomorrow Never Knows" was so innovative for its time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  14. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Well, I consider the UK releases to be the "real" albums... :shuffle: But that's probably due to the fact that I wasn't alive when the Beatles were in their heyday in the US.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I chose the White Album as my favorite. But, there were songs on all albums that I love. I still remember being 10 years old and hearing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" for the first time. I remember The Ed Sullivan Show and girls swooning.

16. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

As Mona Lisa Vito would say - "It's impossible to answer. Nobody could answer that question!"

Well, except some of you did. ;)

But anyway, I can't choose one. I just can't. They are all so totally brilliant. I love their early albums like the album KHenry14 listed, Please Please Me, With the Beatles, Beatles for Sale - all the earliest Capitol records. They hold such memories for me, like standing on the front porch air guitaring with a tennis racket with 3 of my friends playing the other Beatles, singing at the top of our lungs. I still have these albums and I still play them over and over. I love Magical Mystery Tour because it has Penny Lane on it. White Album holds a fascination for me because of the Charles Manson connection. :yikes: Rubber Soul and Revolver are both to die for. Sorry, I am just so passionate about their music :eek: - they burst onto the scene during my most impressionable years.

I can list a few that would NOT be my favorites: Let It Be, Abbey Road, and Sgt. Pepper.

17. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I voted for Revolver. I'm surprised so many people did because it didn't have as many single hits as some of the others, but it was when they were first starting to experiment and getting into some interesting sounds.

I also still like Magical Mystery Tour. I never saw the movie, it didn't sound too good, but I liked songs like Blue Jay Way (I could feel the fog) and I Am the Walrus was just strange. The whole thing reminded me of people at a pot party who had had some wine or beer. Very late sixties.

18. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I also really like that album. "Your Mother Should Know" is one of my favorite Beatles songs.

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If I can pick only one, it's "Sgt. Pepper".

20. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

None of them....not a fan of the Beatles at all. :saint:

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. grimey

grimey bird is the word

Ug, this is so hard. Do I have to choose just one? :drama:

Of the list I chose "A Hard Day's Night". I grew up loving that album and the movie. While all my friends were obsessing over New Kids on the Block, I was in love with The Beatles. My mom had taped all the albums so I could listen to them on my Walkman and "A Hard Day's Night" was easily the one I played the most.

I still love "Let it Be" even though most of the Beatles themselves loathed that album because of all the tension and pre-breakup things going on. I even liked the documentary.

22. Reuven

Magical Mystery Tour also has “Flying," the only instrumental The Beatles ever did. And Abbey Road has Ringo’s only solo contained in “The End."

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I thought Ringo was solo on "Honey Don't"?

24. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone clearly can't be part of my group of friends. When we argue about the greatest album of all time, it basically always comes down to Abbey Road vs. Zeppelin IV. I am on the side of Abbey Road.

25. Reuven

Whoops! I meant drum solo. He usually had one solo vocal piece per album.