Best and Worst Presents You've Received?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Feb 14, 2012.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

What are the best, or the worst, presents you've ever received? Due to the date, you can focus on Valentines days if you want, but feel free to also include birthday, holiday, random gifts, etc...

My husband, before we got married, gave me a first-aid kit. :lol: I suppose that was the "worst". It's certainly the funniest.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

When my sister and I were kids, my uncle gave us underwear for Christmas. That was probably the worst. :lol:

Another Christmas, my other uncle gave us these watch-rings that were too big and clunky to even wear. Both my uncles were terrible gift-givers, when they even remembered to give us gifts.

Best . . . I don't know, I've gotten a lot of good presents. I'd have to take some time and make a pretty long list! My most recent favorite present was a rock that my little goddaughter gave me. I've told the story elsewhere on the board, I think. It was a "pretty rock," in her words (gray with white stripes), and she really wanted to keep it for herself, but she made the sacrifice and gave it to me, which made it special. :)

3. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

My sister gave me a card promising me to take me out to the Dakota jazz club. 3 years later and she still hasn't gotten around to it soooo...at least it was a nice card, I guess.

My favorite "worst gift" that wasn't for me was the shop vac my dad gave my mom for mother's day one year. He wanted that shop vac so much for himself he bought it as a gift for her.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I probably would have made an arrangement after that gift - you buy me what you really want, and I'll buy you what I really want. :lol:

5. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

My husband once bought me a sweater, size M kids. It fit me ok at the time, but 3 kids/c-sections later...not as good. To this day he STILL whines that I never wear that damn sweater! Not only was this 10 years ago, but COME ON!!!!

6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

A yearly calendar for the current year at Christmas time, when there would only be a week left of use of it. And it was a freebie from Paralyzed vets as well.

7. Nan

Nan Just me

8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My grandmother once got me size xxxl sweatpants for Christmas. I wore a small. She included a note that she didn't want them to be "too small" for me now that I was "at the age where you gain weight". I was 20.

When I was 15, in band and taking piano lessons, she got me a used "magical musical thing" toy.

And I have vivid memories of getting one of those freebie paper coloring books with four pictures for my 6th birthday from her. My brother, at the same time, was given cash and two new books and some records. For my birthday. On my 18th birthday, I got $5 from her and my brother got $20. He was kind of embarrassed about it by then.

9. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

My Grandma and her friends always gave me soap, toothpaste, cheap chocolate, whenever the occasion required a gift. Yeah, those were the worst :D

Never been much of a material person (mom is the type that only shows love with things instead of actions, so I went the other way), so I can't really remember a present, from anyone, that I loved... it was just... things.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

My sister got a highly unusual gift for her baby shower. Her husband's older aunt proudly proclaimed, "I wanted to get something for the mother because they're often forgotten in all the attention of the baby." Then asked my sister to open the gift first since she (the aunt) had to leave the shower early.

My sister opened the wrapped present to reveal an economy sized box of feminine napkins!

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think my favorite bad gift was a set of tools - hammer, two screwdrivers, and a pair of plyers - with floral print handles. Who says tools can't be pretty?

12. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

The best gift I've ever recieved was a beagle puppy. She's 10 years old now.

The worst gift I can ever get is clothes of any kind. They are put in the salvation army box within the month. I pick out my own clothes.

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

For our university newspaper Christmas party everyone was supposed to bring a gift and then we numbered the gifts and picked numbers. My gift turned out to be a piece of tree bark that the gift giver literally picked up from the ground on the way into the party as he had forgotten the gift exchange. The editor gave him hell for it but I didn't care.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

One time my aunt gave me a gift certificate that was a week away from expiring and it was for a steakhouse. I'm a vegetarian.

Best gift was the car my parents got me for graduation. I still drive it and I'm hoping as long I take good care of it I'll still get a few more years out of it. Toyotas FTW :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

The first Christmas we were together, Sweets gave me a knife. Seven years later, I might appreciate a functional present, but on that day I felt like stabbing Sweets with it.

One year, my mom - notoriously hard to buy for - asked me to get her a scale for Mother's Day because her old one had broken. I had a really, really hard time with that one. In the end, I did it, but bought the nicest scale I could find. She was overjoyed. :lol: It has since become a fond memory, and I try to aspire to be more like my mom in that way.

16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I can't narrow down the best gift I've ever received, because I've been very fortunate over the years (Although, my grandma did buy my brother and I a puppy 13 years ago!).

The worst, however, was a set of towels from my other grandmother. They were pink and flowered. I was 11 years old. Sigh.

17. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Well, actually....from what I hear about what happens immediately after the baby is born....your sister probably needed them....(those who have given birth feel free to correct me)

18. PDilemma

My brother bought a girlfriend a bagel toaster for Valentine's Day once and didn't understand why she was not thrilled about it. Exact quote when he asked me why this didn't go over well, "She likes bagels".

My husband bought me floor mats for my car for a b-day gift the first year we were dating. His sister had tried to talk him out of it to no avail. He has done better since then. He still buys things for my car, but he does not give them to me as gifts.

19. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

My sister's boyfriend (years ago) was debating as to what to get her for Valentine's Day.

A Coffee Maker, or Roses. He actually got it right and gave her 2 dozen long stem roses!

Best "gift" to me was the gift of time together.

My brother and his wife were financially struggling at Christmas, and their girls were older so, they got them each one larger usefull gift (Drawing table for one, musical instrument for the other), but no other physical gifts were exchanged. We go three family games to play, and made a real gingerbread house (which their dog Bear had for a snack :lol: ). It was the best Christmas ever and that ended up being our tradition from then on. We do a potluck and just give each other the gift of spending time together.

20. Michalle

Michalle New Member

This is mind-blowing. I think my jaw actually dropped.

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

We give a lot of stupid gifts in my family that are just a waste of money. Although I don't anymore; I'm done with gift giving. We (brother and sister) are all almost 50 freaking years old. How many 50 year olds still give gifts to their siblings? My mom stopped w/her siblings when they were 30. Don't think my dad/siblings ever gave gifts as adults. I wish we would stop with the damn stupid waste of money gifts already. If I want something, I'll go buy it. And I don't want some random piece of crap cluttering up my already limited space. :p

That said ... the worst gift was a half used bottle of vitamins (yes, half used!) from my mom for Christmas. She said maybe they would make me a nicer/happier person. :huh:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  22. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Dude. WTF.

23. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

The first year my parents were married my Dad gave my Mom a toilet seat cover for Valentine's Day. His reasoning was that she had complained about the seat being cold at one point. They're still going strong 38 years later but my mom still brings it up before gift-giving holidays.

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Is she a step-grandmother?

25. PDilemma

Nope. This was my father's mother. She played favorites with her grandkids until the day she died. My brother was the oldest and the only grandson who "could carry on the family name" and thus the favorite. He always got presents on my birthday until he was around 30. By then, it was always cash and he used it to buy me something extra because he felt horrible about it. My mom recently told me that when I was a baby, this grandmother actually refused to hold me because it would upset my brother (it would not have...he was nearly six when I was born and understood).

We moved to a different state when I was two, and she decided that I was not really her grandchild because I was not raised there. She usually called me "the Nebraska child". I was the only one of her 14 grandchildren she never made a quilt for, the only one whose H.S. graduation she missed, and a host of other things like that. Out of 14, I was absolutely ranked number 14.

My grandpa, who died when I was 19, tried to make up the difference, giving me cash and candy and cutting flowers from his garden for me when we visited. And my mother's parents were the greatest grandparents ever.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That breaks my heart, PDilemma! She doesn't sound like she was a very nice person, at least not to you! You were just a child. Thank goodness you had a loving grandfather and another set of grandparents.

I remember the worst gift I ever got. When I was about 10 or so my parents and my aunt and uncle decided to draw names among the children. The idea was that instead of buying so many gifts for the kids each kid could get 1 nice gift. It was supposed to be understood that even though the kids were drawing the names, the parents would be buying. I was 10 and the oldest, so all the other children were 8 and younger, down to about 5. My aunt forced her two kids to work around the house and earn money to buy the gift. She paid them about $1 to do things and therefore they had to buy something for less than $5. Then she forced them to buy their gift from the flower shop she ran with her mom. I was drawn by one of them and received a very small teddy bear with a pencil. It was leftover from Valentines day the year before and had hearts on it including a heart eraser on the pencil. As a boy, I was just thrilled. :rolleyes: My mom was so mad, after we left she took us to the store and bought me a gift and got one for my brother too, have to be fair!

27. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Best gift: Surprise tickets to the US Nationals Ladies long program back in 2002 from my boyfriend at the time (now husband). He couldn't stand figure skating before we went, but knew I was dying to go. I do think seeing figure skating live made him appreciate it more.

Worst gift: Golfing clubs from my brother. I don't play golf so it was clearly a gift for himself. :lol:

28. Myskate

Myskate New Member

Worst gift: While dating, my husband bought me a trailer hitch for my car because he needed to tow a trailer and had a company car that he couldn't alter.

The best gift: A trip to Tahiti from the same man. After 15 years he had learned alot.

29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Best gift - my Dad and his wife (it was more from her because as much as I love him he is not that thoughtful) gave me a genuine aboriginal painting as a housewarming gift for my new unit. The amount of thought that had gone into it, including how she got it framed (simple black frame) and the actual colour of the painting because she knew that I had red furniture (it was in brown tones) was probably the most thoughtful thing someone has even done. It looks fantastic in my living area. Even my mum liked it.

Worst gift - not so much myself but my mum. She had brought herself a lovely modern sofa with an aztec type designed fabric. My Nanna decided to knit her a cushion to go with it in apricot colours (the kind you get at a craft fair with flower patterns knitted in). In fact my Nanna knitted cushions for all the family and it kind of became a bit of a family joke. I am not sure if I still have mine tucked away in the cupboard somewhere.

30. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

The first gift my husband gave me when we were dating was a fancy Christmas card, that when opened revealed a spot for a lottery ticket (that was back when lotteries were newly legal), and a very big deal. It was a card his mother bought for the ticket, so he reused it for me.

Thirty-three years later, he bought me my entire Amazon wish list for Christmas.

He's a keeper.