Best Adult skating programs

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Eladola, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

What are some of the better Skating programs for Adults worldwide ?

You know, If someone in their 20's onwards wants to learn the basics and maybe more,
    And wants to make a few months of an adventure out of it, With cool teachers and stuff,
    As opposed to just go out in their hometown and learn off of youtube or something...

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Taking basic skills group lessons at your local rink is usually the way to go in the US -and then move onto private lessons if you decide you like it enough and want to skate more. Not sure if that's an option in your area, or if you're asking about a summer camp. There was a thread about that years ago, but maybe some of the adult skaters in Europe could help you with specific details in case that was what you were looking for?

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/adult-summer-camps-across-europe.72642/

J-Ro likes this.
  3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Just get started with group lessons. That is how most people begin. If you are lucky a local rink with adult specific classes for adult beginners. Learn to skate is pretty much the same for everyone.

J-Ro likes this.
  4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I agree. Take a learn-to-skate class. Why is that better than video? Because a video only provides 1/2 of what you need. The video may tell you how to do it right, but it cannot tell you when you aren't doing it right; only an instructor can tell you that. And just because it *feels* like you're doing it right does not mean you are. If I had a dollar for every time I *thought* I was in the correct body position ("deep knee bend" or "right shoulder back") and wasn't, I'd be a millionaire!

J-Ro likes this.
  5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

There are a number of skating camps for adults, but you aren't going to get much out of them if you don't already know how to skate.

Start with group lessons, move on to privates as you get to freestyle. If you feel like adult classes are too slow, take the classes with the kids.

I wouldn't try to learn anything on youtube.

J-Ro likes this.
  6. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

THIS.

Please, please spare yourself the agony and don't attempt to learn by video. Videos can help as a supplement but keep in mind that figure skating is way more exacting than Zumba.

Doubletoe and Skatingisfun1 like this.