Ben Gazzara Dies at 81

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

2. Civic

Civic New Member

He was a fine actor and a nice looking man back in the day. I remember him more from the television work he did during the 1970s than from his films. RIP

3. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

He had a good role in Anatomy of a Murder with James Stewart and Lee Remick.

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

That's the role that always comes to mind when I think of him.

RIP Mr. Gazzara.

5. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

OMG, I just pulled his autobiography off the shelf today. :wideeyes:

A truly brilliant actor :( I raise a glass to him........

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I can remember seeing An Early Frost on TV in my (very much) younger years. Funny how for some reason I remember that movie, but I had wanted to see it because I had had a "close encounter" with an audio book of Aidan Quinn reading "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and he was in the movie (playng Gazzara's son who had AIDS). I wanted to "put a face to the voice" as it were.

7. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I always remember Ben for his portrayal of the eville business mogul in the crappy Road House He oozed malevolence...and i mean that in a good way!

8. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Well... that's 2 films of his I've seen. I hated that movie... it started out with a great premise, but then it just got way too violent for my taste - when the one guy ripped the other guy's throat out, that was a bit too much for me. My ex, whose VHS copy was my intro to this film when we watched it one night, used to joke with me when I wanted to watch a movie, but coudn't decide: "we can always watch Road House!"

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Aside from his theatre and film roles, I grew up watching him on "Run For Your Life".
    RIP, to a fine actor, and real "presence"