Belbin & White's Relationship Hits People

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sk9tingfan, May 18, 2010.

1. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Yay!! Charlie finally cut his hair. I love it! Hope he keeps it that way.

This is a great point because when the press/USFS started force feeding the Tanith and Evan relationship to us, that's when I feel that B/A's career started to stagnate. They were never the same after all of that. It was more about Tanith and Evan at that point than Tanith and Ben. Guess it really doesn't matter if B/A are retiring.
  2. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

I really hope this doesn't happen, especially for Ben and Meryl's sake. Unlike Evan at the time, USFS does not need to promote davis/white or belbin/agosto, and I suspect doesn't feel they need to play up Charlie dating woman in quite the same was as they might have felt for Evan, particularly given the fact that he was the men's champion...

There is little to no point in USFS promoting ice dancers who are dating partners other than their own- takes away from the romantic stories the dancers often try to portray and just makes things complicated and "drama"-filled. I think both couples have the personalities, resumes and skating skills to stand on their own two feet w/o this story.

I hope that Tanith and Charlie quietly enjoy each others company and don't play up this story themselves or through their managers. It would be a shame to see this take away from either partnership and their successes as a team...and they can certainly be happy and affectionate without the spotlight on their relationship.
  3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You mean for everyone? I'm sure there are tons of people who will disagree with you on that note.

Being 25, I swear I'm seeing many people of my age group getting married and having kids already. Most of them started that relationship in their early 20s if not earlier. Of course I also have many friends who are older than me and are still single or dating around. Point being is that I don't think we can use terms like "most" and "always."

As annoying as I find it myself, if people are interested, and if Evan/Charlie have no real problems with it, then I don't see the problem. Plus it's not as if Tanith and Evan making their relationship public was really the problem with the stagnation with B/A.
  4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying that USFS were promoting or forcefeeding this or any relationship to the public?

It may have been listed in the athlete bios that USFS provides to the press, but it's not as though they put any information in there that doesn't come straight from the athletes themselves.

And there's plenty of other information in the bios as well.

It's up to the press to choose which details about skaters' personal lives, gleaned from the bios or from interviews with the more prominent athletes, they want to highlight. The skaters and the federation can make information available but they can't control what the press chooses to repeat over and over and what they ignore.

I have no doubt that the TV networks choose to highlight romantic relationships between skaters for a variety of reasons. Primarily because it's human interest that casual viewers can easily connect with. TV coverage of skating has historically tended to emphasize the soap opera more than the technique.

Making the homophobic portion of the viewership more comfortable with men's skating may also be another motivation for networks to highlight heterosexual relationships.

The opportunity to mention and show extra footage of skaters in other events, and thus to get casual viewers interested in tuning into those other events, was probably another motivation for showing and talking about Tanith when Evan was competing and vice versa.

All that can happen at the TV producers' initiative based only on a passing mention by the skaters and the federation.

So unless you have some behind-the-scenes knowledge of how USFigureSkating communicates with the press, I'd put the overemphasis on interskater relationships squarely in the lap of the media and the media alone.
  5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Being 21, and having just graduated college two weeks ago, I have many friends getting married right now. I have many friends who are living with significant others right now. I wouldn't get married right now, I barely feel like an adult. But I don't think there is anything wrong with a 22 year old and a 25 year old living together. They didn't sign a pact in blood, here. If it doesn't work, one of them will move out. I can't imagine what people who don't think a 22 year old should live with his girlfriend would think about the kids right out of college getting married.

These are personal choices. You don't get to make them for someone else.
  6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yup. It really depends on the person. I'm 26 and it definitely seems like a bunch of my friends are getting married, while others aren't anywhere close. Since none of us know Charlie or Tanith, it's impossible to say whether it's too soon for them or not.

And in my hippie social circle, being married is starting to be optional. My boss is in his mid-30s and has been faithful to the same woman for more than 10 years, moving across the country together several times. She's even taken his name (mostly because she thinks her own last name is lame :lol: ) but they aren't married. They don't see the need to be.
  7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

waking up in the morning next to someone comment really is not too much TMI. In fact I see it as a comment/assessment of how much they enjoy each other's company.

Now if we had details on how often they have sex, the number of orgasms, etc., or that someone farts during it - That is TMI
  8. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

9. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:rofl:

I wonder why people are so concerned about what Charlie's mom must think, what about Tanith's mom? :saint::shuffle:
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Is it sad that I laughed when I read "or that someone farts during it"? :slinkaway
  11. Valentina

Valentina New Member

nope...its sad if happens to you :lol:

Thsi theread is it so crazy :lol:

We should open one theread just for jeremy's mouth? :swoon:
  12. jlai

jlai Title-less

From his mouth to God's ears!
  13. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Quite the roller coaster of a thread, with an occasional trip to the gutter for your mind included. :lol:
  14. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Or better yet from his mouth to my mouth. <3;):smokin::cheer2::swoon::p
  15. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Yes, I am one who disagrees with the conservative, old fashioned viewpoint. What better way to get to know if you're compatible with someone than to live with them? From my experience, you don't really know anyone until you've lived with them. I could never imagine settling down with one person for the rest of my life under marriage/union ceremony having never lived with him. Then again, I don't plan to or want to get married, so different strokes for different folks.
  16. Valentina

Valentina New Member

:respec:
  17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I wish you had made these comments to Tanith several years ago. If she knew that the real problem with her career was too much publicity about her relationship, she wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of changing coaches, improving her posture, carriage, toe point and free leg positions, working so hard on her basics and the compulsories and adopting a more mature expression. ;)
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  18. discoduck

discoduck Bringing Albinoni Back

I think my favorite thing about this thread so far is the Jeremy/Massimo rumor. They would make an adorable couple. :)
  19. figure85

figure85 New Member

This is a roller coaster of a thread. I don't care if they are dating, living together or what b/c it doesn't really affect me. Not that interested in people's views on living with someone before or after marriage. Don't care about Jeremy's mouth. All I care about is the skating.

HSGP21 I do think you have a valid point in your comments. I'm not sure if it was more them or the media but the point is that it did seem as though it was more about Evan & Tanith and not about Tanith & Ben.

It's a simple fact that knowing that Charlie is dating Tanith it might be hard to believe any on ice love story he's trying to portray with Meryl. Their connection to one another is something I think they needed to improve on anyway. Virtue and Moir have an amazing connection on the ice even though he's dating another skater. But the emphasis isn't on his off ice relationship so it's easy to buy that he's madly in love with Tessa on the ice.

I could be wrong. I always felt that Meryl was more expressive. Maybe now that Charlie is in love he'll do a better job of expressing it on the ice. I know he's in love with Tanith but after knowing Meryl his whole life I'm sure he loves her as well and can express that love (even though it's not romantic love) better on the ice.
  20. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Charlie and Meryl's connection on the ice..I don't see it much either, but I think that Meryl is very reserved, and I don't see that in Charlie. Meryl's expression seems dramatic, but it still doesn't move me. I think they are fabulous skaters and the fast, dramatic pieces are perfect for them because it disguises this weakness. I just feel that they hold back, not in their skating because they give that their all, but in their emotions. I don't know, I'm expressing myself badly. I could never believe that they are in a relationship with each other, whereas I could with Scott and Tessa.

Maybe it is Charlie, and maybe this relationship will help. But I think it would be great for Meryl if she also had a relationship as well.
  21. figure85

figure85 New Member

You hit the nail on the head bbken

"I just feel that they hold back, not in their skating because they give that their all, but in their emotions."

Each season they seem to improve one aspect of thier skating or another. They have the speed, the power. They were lacking in the emotions dept. for sure. I guess when skating you are trying to evoke a feeling in the audience. I feel their power and speed but I don't feel real passion between them.

Meryl seems like a reserved person in real life and her expression on the ice is dramatic. But for me it's really up to male skater to convince the audience of passion in a romantic number. Tessa expresses her self similiar to Meryl (IMO). It's Scott who sells the passion by the way he looks at her. Charlie could step it up in the passion dept. I think. Maybe being in love he'll be better at it now? Only time will tell.
  22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

If every dance team's expression were alike, though, the whole thing would get boring. Sure Scott and Tessa do a great job on that, and it would be nice if Charlie and Meryl could work on their connection and expressiveness. But I still don't want them to become a carbon copy of Scott and Tessa in that respect.
  23. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I don't think thta a btter conection betwen them and better body and facial expression would make them a carbon copy of Tessa and Scott. This would only make them better skaters, I mnet, with the complete thing.
  24. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

What if Charlie and Tanith become dance partners?
  25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Please don't even think of that! :p
  26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think they start try do this at SOI :D
  27. Sandy

Sandy New Member

I hope they do not become dance partners!!!!
  28. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I doubt of that :rolleyes:
  29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Why?
  30. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I really don't know where you all see the passion in Tessa and Scott. Sometimes I seriously feel like punching them for that delighted looks on their faces, full of innocence and sweetness, like the whole freakin world was so perfect and all about butterflies and rainbows :rolleyes: They surely have a great connection, but passion?
    on the other hand, I agree Meryl and Charlie still need to learn how to express real emotions on ice. Their energy and power is wonderful, but still it would be nice to see some more emotions shown by them in the slower parts of their dances.

about Tanith and Charlie becoming an ice dance team - I think Meryl and Charlie are a wonderful match, not sure if Tanith would be able to handle Charlie's wildness the way Meryl does :p And Meryl's expression is still better than Tanith's IMO. Plus, D/W look awesome together - I love it when partners in teams differ in appearance, B/A had that trump as well. I hate it when teams consist of people who look alike (Dubreil/Lauzon - gosh, they were like siblings, I couldn't believe they were a couple :p).
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  31. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

32. acraven

acraven Active Member

I think Tanith is far too tall to skate with Charlie in eligible competition under COP. They wouldn't be able to do the lifts that are necessary to be competitive.
  33. Valentina

Valentina New Member

God I sooo gare with you about V/M..I always wnated to say that.
  34. pani

pani Well-Known Member

AT SOI look, like Charlie and ben have the same height
  35. pani

pani Well-Known Member

36. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think that was acraven's point exactly.
  37. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Oooooh...not a fan?
  38. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

39. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Well, for COP, Ben is a bit short for Tanith, hence the back problems.
  40. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But Charlie is bigger, then Ben ;)