Belbin Agosto Moldavian Dance

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by arakwafan2006, Jul 27, 2010.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I felt her costume was too big. It was gigantic!!!
  3. pumba

pumba New Member

I absolutely loved their OD. The costumes were gorgeous. They both looked great.
  4. drfj

drfj Member

Moldavian dance is nothing to do with Hungary.That is not a hungarian dance!!!!
  5. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

"Moldavian theme considering that neither Tanith or Ben are from hungary."
    Why from Hungary? Republic of Moldova is a country between Romania and Ukraine.
  6. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The national language is Moldovan, a dialect of Roumanian; the country is far more culturally Roumanian than anything else.
  7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Every time someone refers to it as a Moldavian dance, I can't help but :rofl:. It's supposed to be Moldovan; Moldavia was a fictional country on Dynasty - some of you may recall it from this scene?
  8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

You learn something new every day - thanks! I see the Romanian name is Moldova, though, and I'm inclined to think that Moldovan would have probably been the more correct name to use?

I still can't help but associate it with Dynasty, though... :D
  10. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

11. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  12. ana

ana New Member

13. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I also loved their OD!

:swoon:

Very fun to watch!
  14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I hated this OD. I thought they got buried in the costuming, and when you had more original ODs like D/W and S/B, it didn't help them at all.
  15. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

"Buried in the costuming" is such an apt phrase, especially when applied to Ben Agosto.

How many loose, floppy, shirts and gigantic jackets did we have to see on that gorgeous body? Way too many. That's how many.
    UMBS Go Blue, PeterG, alilou and 5 others like this.
  16. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the dance but I also felt they were overwhelmed by their costumes.

However accurate and appropriate the costumes were to the dance, they made these athletes - two of the lankiest in the sport - look as though they were blanketed in fabric.
  17. shah

shah Well-Known Member

don't forget about Tanith's red boots! these boots were made for rocking! :p
  18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Horrible outfits. The dance could have been helped if the outfits weren't so distracting to start with. I'm still disappointed they retired on the note they did. :(

Also lol @ video
  19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

In general, Tanith & Ben's Olympic costume choices for all three segments were horrendous. Whoever may be their costume advisor (Linichuk?) did them a huge disfavor. With friends like that, who needs enemies? How a great beauty like Tanith and the concept of "tackiness" can be united is a sacrilege...or a sabotage.

The G-P series versions of their costumes in all segments were tamer and more elegant, generally speaking.

p.s. Tanith and Ben must have shared costume designer with their rinkmates Domnina/Shabalin, who "took the Olympic cake" for tackiest of the lot. It just made me sick to see Tanith/Ben stoop to that level. They used to have totally gorgeous costumes...the Waltz OD of 2003 Worlds comes to mind.
  20. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

:huh:...actually Tanith's mum was the designer, while Oksana and Max's costume were designed in Russia. Same coach but different designers and, luckily for Oksana and Max, different Olympic placement!
    Of course with a healthy Maxim, their spot would have been on top of the podium! :p
  21. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:wideeyes::eek:Are you saying Tanith's Mum designed the costumes for all three of their programs ? If this is true, she must have been trying to make them look like the rest of Linichuk's couples... I can believe the OD costumes since they were pretty much a take on standard folk dance costumes ..just way overdone.( and overdoing it is a common failure of inexperienced designers.) The FD look was such typical Linichuk cheese..if Mum is responsible ,she must have consumed a whole jug of kool aid.
  22. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Did you guys notice that the costume's in the link were very similar to the ones that B&A wore? I am sure they deliberately did this to remain authentic ( unlike their training mates.) I usually HATE their costumes but I think that the Moldovian look was both authentic and appropiate.
  23. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Tanith's mom did most of her costumes but ,as far as i remember, it was mentioned in one of B/A interviews before Olympics that the costumes for US Nationals and OG were done in New York.Anyway it was authentic but way overdone .The costumes didn't bother me as much as the choreo because it reminds me of their 2005 FD and not because of Ben's vest and boots :p
  24. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Tanith and Ben went to diferent costume designer, from NY I gues., Her mom did the 2 first verson. In fact there is a video thta show off her mom and her design, she had a great idea for the FD dress. I don't remember how it was but it was beatifull. It a shame that they do'nt chosed thta one.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

So we can't blame mom for the horrendous Olympics versions of the costumes. Mom has taste; her design for the very first version of Tanith's FD dress was simple and gorgeous. "Mother Knows Best"! :saint:
  26. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:D Ah-h-h-h ..I'm so relieved to know that Tanith's Mum didn't drink all that Kool aid after all ! I was afraid she'd been recruited into the cult...

I'm back to my original stance of putting the blame squarely on Linichuk's camp. Wherever the costumes were made ( NY, Russia) they had that Linchuk look...just too much. At times too much skin , too much fabric, too much detail , and often all at the same time.
  27. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Hated this dance, Tanith's poufy hair, the headband, the red boots, the weird arm movements, the floppy costumes... This dance IMO is what kicked them off the podium. If Tanith had worn her Let's Get Loud dress, shown off her amazing body, and used something, anything but Moldovian, they would have medaled. The Russians with their fake tan outfits were more ridiculous, but they get +1 for being Russian and that was the tiebreaker.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:D Funny... the red boots were the one detail I liked..( I was very drawn to Hungarian and Roumanian folk dance as a kid. Partly because of the music , partly because I really wanted a pair of those red boots !)..The earliest version of the costumes were really OK , though the program itself didn't do too much for me, but by the Olys it was too, too over the top.