Being Human / 60's song id help

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ioana, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I realize this is a bit random, but I was hoping one of our resident music experts would be able to help. The version of Being Human shown on BBC America used a different song on the soundtrack than the one shown in the UK for Season 2 Episode 5 (they probably had issues getting the royalties for Herman's Hermits I'm into Something Good cleared in the US).

If anyone has any idea what song is played here*, help would be much appreciated.

*Anyone squeamish, please keep in mind Mitchell and Herrick are vampires on the show and as such, there are dead bodies lying around in the video. And, my apologies to any Mitchell fans for subjecting them to the Princess Leia afro :D.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I listened to it (with my eyes closed :lol:) and I didn't recognize the song. And I have a reasonably good knowledge of 1960s British pop. I googled some of the lyrics and didn't come up with anything either.

My guess is that if the show's creators couldn't get the rights for the original song, they got a music-for-hire company to write them something specifically for the show. If this song was a real 60s song, something, somewhere, would have shown up on Google.

3. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

Have you tried asking over at the IMDB or TWOP boards? Or the other show-related websites? I have faith in the combined FSU knowledge, but this may be a tad too specific ;)

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

The BBC bloggers were already stumped when someone asked the same question on their MB...I knew it was a shot in the dark, but I figured it was worth a try. Having a hired band makes sense, though. Thank you for pointing that out, overedge.

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

NBC Universal (which owns Syfy) replaces music in shows that are sold on DVD or iTunes and even the replays on Hulu. It has something to do with the contracts they make with the music companies. They don't want to pay for the rights on the replays, so they do bring in studio musicians and record different music.

Sometimes, they're pivotal songs that were electrifying in the original airing. On Quantum Leap, they replaced "Georgia On My Mind" during a climactic scene. Warehouse 13 used "White Rabbit" (aka: "Go Ask Alice") when they tricked the evil Alice back into Mirror. Both were GONE when the DVD's were issued.

If you ask Craig Engler on Twitter, he might track down the title and author for you, but I think it's a studio song. http://twitter.com/#!/Syfy