Beggar's Night Question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Susan1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I forgot I wanted to "poll" everyone. You know me, long story slightly shorter, short term memory even shorter, so...........there was a letter in a recent Dear Abby column (maybe you can find it online) where a woman (in California, I think) wrote that her neighbor's kids came to her door for trick or treat at 5:30 or something (when she was eating in preparation for handing out candy later). She sent them home and the mother got mad. Abby said she should have given them their candy. So, the original letter made it sound like there was not a set time for trick or treat, but that she just wasn't expecting anyone yet. And..........on t.v. shows, they always show kids just out at whatever hour (be back by dark or 10:00 or something) and people handing out candy for hours all evening.

Here in Ohio, my entire life, trick or treat has ALWAYS been from 6-8 p.m. Some of the rural areas around here have it from 5:30 - 7:30. Are we the only ones who have a set trick or treat time? They publish a list of each city's in the paper. You turn your porch light on at 6 and off at 8. No one would dare show up at a neighbor's house before or after those times and demand candy. You can't just run around and knock on people's doors to get candy whenever you feel like it. (I KNOW - unless you are going to a relative's house in another neighborhood or somewhere out of the ordinary or whatver.) This was not the case in this letter. If someone showed up at my house yelling trick or treat at 5:55 p.m., I would not be obligated to give them anything or have their mother get mad at me because I turned them away.

Do other states not have specific trick or treat times (except for the day, obviously)? Just wondering.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

we dont have a set time but you wouldnt show up at a house that didnt have it's light on

3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

We always had a set time when I was growing up. 6-8. And where I live now there's a set time as well. Also, light on...they give candy. Light off, they don't. I don't think I could deal with not having a set time or general practice! I like order. LOL!

4. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

We don't have a set time here, I believe.

Our porch light doesn't work, but any house with Halloween decorations is usually fair game (I have a couple of pumpkins out front and expect to hand out candy).

I would not have turned the kids away just because I was eating dinner - if I really was busy I would have taken my decorations in/turned off the light and not answered the door. And possibly just left a bowl of candy outside.
    I think I actually did the latter last year - my husband was business travelling and from 7:30-8:30 I am putting my son to sleep - I left a bowl of candy outside.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

We don't have a set time here, I believe.

Our porch light doesn't work, but any house with Halloween decorations is usually fair game (I have a couple of pumpkins out front and expect to hand out candy).

I would not have turned the kids away just because I was eating dinner - if I really was busy I would have taken my decorations in/turned off the light and not answered the door. And possibly just left a bowl of candy outside.
    I think I actually did the latter last year - my husband was business travelling and from 7:30-8:30 I am putting my son to sleep - I left a bowl of candy outside.

6. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

No set time here in Michigan. We always wait until it gets dark. When the porch light is on all are welcome. Once it gets a little later and the kids aren't coming any longer the porch light goes off and you are closed. I've lived in Michigan all my life and it's always been the same.

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

There has never been a set time here. And a lot of people bring very young children--toddlers and preschoolers--out pretty early so 5:30 would never catch me off guard.

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Here in this part of my state, they have had set hours for at least the past 20 years or so. As stated by one community website geared toward parents:
    The list includes a dozen area towns, most of which have 6-8 p.m. (there are three that have 5-8 p.m. and one that is 5:30-7:30). It seems like this is something that will really vary from region to region and even within a state.

9. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

On the West Coast - we have never had set times. The unwritten rule has been - at dusk till 9pm and the porch light has to be on. I have other rules for my kids (no walking on lawns, say "Trick or Treat" and say "Thank you" of offered from a bowl, Take one (so many kids grab a giant handful!). They usually have a trick prepared - this year my daughter is asking if they have a piano. If they do, she will play the intro to Phantom of the Opera. :D

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

No set time. I'm surprised that most of you are saying people wait until dark. It's the complete opposite here. You might see little kids trick or treating with their parents as early as 1-2 PM, and then more after 3 when school is out. Usually by the time it gets dark, we only get a couple of older kids/teens. It's a suburb in a very safe area. All of my memories of trick or treating are in daylight as well. I guess you take the risk that people won't be home, but there must be a lot of retired folks and stay at home parents in my neighborhood.

I like the idea of set times though... it's annoying when you know the bell can ring at any moment for pretty much the entire day.

11. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

In my area most parents work till 5 or their kids are in activities so 6 is the earliest (they have a quick dinner and get ready).

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I never had a set time growing up but I think they have one here in Baton Rouge. I find that so odd. The issue here isn't that the woman didn't give the kids candy, the issue is that the kid's mother got all upset. What is wrong with her? We wonder why children these days act so damn entitled.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i actually prefer when they come early, they are generally little. the later it gets, the more likely they are really old without much of or any costume and are possibly casing the joint.

14. Aimless

Aimless New Member

On Long Island where I live, about ten years ago Halloween was on a Sunday and the weather was mild and beautiful. I had my first set of toddler trick or treaters at 11:30 AM. I had nearly 200 kids in total that year. Now I'm "lucky" if I get 20. We have no set times, and didn't in Connecticut where I grew up.

15. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

That, and I always liked that everyone was out at the same time; there's a real neighborhood party feel here that I don't think we would have if trick or treat lasted all day. People set up portable fireplaces and hang out and all the kids run around in the dark--which is much more fun, I think, than running around in daylight.

16. PDilemma

I would not be amused by the doorbell ringing all day. By early for toddlers and preschoolers, I meant 4:30/5:00 p.m.

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'd pass out candy from 0330 to 2359 if I'd only get trick or treaters. :wuzrobbed:

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

This is the most :confused: and :mad: part for me. No one is required by law to hand out candy on Halloween. Most people do it because they want to; some do it because they figure their houses will get egged if they don't. Unless the not-ready-yet lady was rude to the kids, there's no reason for the mother to get angry.

We never had set times when I was growing up, but everyone just "knew." The younger kids would start around dusk (I grew up in northern BC so sun set around 6:00 at that time of year), older kids a bit later. Trick or treating usually stopped around 8:30 so that everyone could get to the town fireworks show for 9:00.

Never heard of Trick-or-Treating in early-mid afternoon. Except at a shopping mall. Just seems wrong to me.

That being said, though, TorT times for a neighbourhood/community seems like a really good idea. Nothing wrong with everyone having the same expectations.

19. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We live next to a small university. Get some trick or treaters from there, sometimes asking for cans to feed the poor. However, nothing makes me madder than last year, when the first 10 or so of my 150 usual kids were college kids, I said, "Really, before the four year olds, you want to take their candy?"

20. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

6-7 in my Michigan neighborhood.

21. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Yep, that's exactly how it is where I live. It's really a great time. :)

22. KCC

KCC Active Member

I live in a place where the homes are spread out, so we all meet at the park and have a "trick or trunk". Everyone pulls their vehicles in a circle and sets up their trunks with candy and decorations. Adults mingle together and the kids go from car to car to get candy. We have a bonfire and pot luck meal, so it is a real nice time for everyone, although this year might be a bit chilly.

23. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Where I work (in Michigan), the government's Council sets the hours each year - its a small, concentrated town. I think it's 5:30-7:30. Where I live, it's rural. We never get trick-or-treaters.

24. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The towns set their days and times. Mine is 6 to 8 PM on Halloween Night but I've been told that at least one town has scheduled theirs for Saturday between 4 and 6! They say safety is the reason for the change. My town tried to do this a couple years ago, moving trick-or-treat time to the day before to avoid kis being out on a Monday rush hour, but the population objected. People expect kids to be out on Halloween; they don't expect it on a different day. And last year we had the Halloween snowstorm; several towns rescheduled ToT but I wasn't home on the night mine was held.

I'm ready for an onslaught of little ones this year. There's been a rash of births and new families moving onto my street so the average age of kids has dropped. The parents come with the kids - some of the parents dress up so it's fun. I'm just hoping the Hurricane Sandy doesn't destroy the plans.

25. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Exactly, I remember getting to leave early one year and rushing home and putting my stepson's vampire make-up on WHILE we were eating hot dogs his dad fixed so they could get out there at 6:00.

It's interesting that some places don't have any set time. So you just sit there all day and night and wait for someone to ring the doorbell? I guess "Abby" must live somewhere like that. She was so rude and snippy to the letterwriter - like you shouldn't be enjoying a leisurely dinner because there are kids running around all day that you have to give candy to.

We've had lots of people around here who are in costumes or have music and spooky decorations in their garage. You couldn't do that from noon to midnight or something!
    And

26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:blah: It's ridiculous, IMO, that so much is regimented these days.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Depends entirely on the town. Where I grew up, there were set times, though being a few minutes over or under wasn't a huge deal. Around here (opposite side of the state), it's often 6-8 or so. And when I've lived in rural areas (truly rural, not "subdivision that used to be a farm field") no one trick-or-treats around there. You go into town. It's insane to go 'house to house' when they're half a mile a apart at minimum.

28. PDilemma

No. You do no such thing. If you are at home and wish to give out candy, you leave the porch light on. If you are not at home or you do not wish to give out candy, you do not turn it on. People respect that. We get kids from about 5:00 or a little before (usually little ones with mom and dad) to around 8 or 8:30 (upper elementary/middle school age on their own). If someone wanted to do all the decorating, music, etc...they would turn it on when they are home and intend to give out candy and not turn it on when they are not.

It really is not complicated at all.

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

No set time in my area. We tend to get the toddlers from 4-5, not much action during the supper hour, then the older kids from 6-7. We turn off the light at 8.

30. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Beggar's Night times have been set my entire life.

I prefer it :shuffle:.