Becky Bereswill & Joshua Reagan join a growing pairs program at Detroit SC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They might be the same height but Bereswill has a really tiny frame.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Becky and Ashley are both very slight, but at 5'6", it doesn't really matter if they only weigh 110 lbs or so, just the length of their limbs and such will make certain things more challenging (like a 3 twist). Weight matters but in pairs when a girl is that tall, even if she only weighs as much as the girls who are 3-4 inches shorter, the dynamics of everything will still be different. Plus a shorter girl with a sturdier build might have more strength and be able to "help" more in a lot of the moves and can afford to be more muscular/sturdier because their weight will still likely be low. You see the same issue a lot in gymnastics, the taller gymnasts tend to be slighter in build, but oftentimes they are less consistent and not as stable, and once you reach a certain height threshold, it becomes very hard to be successful at all. For singles Becky and Ashley are still in a normal height range, towards the taller end for sure but not above the threshold of maybe 5'7" or 5'8", but for pairs, unless they get a partner like Simon Shnapir and even then, I'm skeptical how well they will faire long term, my thoughts being injuries are probably likely to occur.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Becky Bereswill tweeted this photo today of the 7 pairs currently training at Detroit SC:
    "Kicking off summer training @dscclub! #pairsparty" http://pic.twitter.com/RmnLBsWpCE

L to R: Madeleine Gallagher/Jonathon Horton (US novice), Narumi Takahashi/Ryuichi Kihara (JPN), Aya Takai/Brian Johnson (US junior), Stefania Berton/Ondrej Hotarek (ITA), Becky Bereswill/Joshua Reagan (US senior), Sumire Suto/Konstantin Chizhikov (new JPN/US team), Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban (US junior).

5. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Dube/Davison won bronze with a double twist in 2008.

Just sayin'

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's 2013. :p

7. Proustable

Proustable New Member

You know, I didn't quite think the sport had progressed that much, but checking out Worlds 2013, you'd have to go out of the top ten to find a team without a triple twist. I didn't realize that (back in 2008, four of the top ten went without triple twists in the LP).

My error.

8. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Plus Skate America is early in the season and the GP is set up so that the major competitors don't skate head-to-head as much as possible.

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

To be fair it wasn't the most difficult field for them to win.

11. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I actually think it's a pretty strong field

12. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Every time I see this thread I read it as "Joshua Reagan growing a pair."

13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

LOL! I'm glad to see he's found a partner, again.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Bereswill has been doing some modeling off the ice (scroll down): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130612&content_id=50410764&vkey=ice_news