Becky Bereswill & Joshua Reagan join a growing pairs program at Detroit SC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130429&content_id=46111520&vkey=ice_news

mysticchic and (deleted member) like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I hope they work out!

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I hope this works: it will be nice to see two long-lined skaters, and Viktoria Borzenkova, who is around Bereswill's height, was a favorite of mine.

I'm sure it occurs more than the typical pairs break-up press release would suggest, but that Johns sat down Yankowskas and Reagan to say they weren't a good match was :kickass: coaching.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Huh. This'll be interesting. U.S. pairs is going to be a real dogfight next year for the Olympic & world teams.

5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Anyone know why josh and Caitlin didn't work out? They didn't stay together for very long.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Did you read the article?

7. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I'm a fan or Becky Bereswill so I hope this works out for them :) I also hope that Caitlin Y. can find a partner with which she can skate the best that she possibly can :cheer: She's just too good of a skater to not be competing.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Oh jeez. So many partner switches. Wonder what Trevor Young thinks of this. As I recall, he was dumped by Becky after one bad Nationals. At that point she was going to try ice dance. Then 2 more years singles, now back to pairs. The height issue is going to be very difficult to overcome here. Don't see how they would ever get a 3twist.

9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

5'6" is very tall for a pairs skater whose partner is only 6 feet. Maybe I could see her with a skater of Simon Shnapir's height but I doubt they will scare any of the top contenders next year.

10. figureit

figureit Member

Agreed and it is just simple physics. If they were dance or even adagio it would be good too although the lifts in dance are a lot more complicated now. A triple twist she will have to do on her own and the lifts are very limited. They will have good jumps and good throws cause she can do those on her own but other issues as we saw before are unavoidable due to height. Even attaining the right force for a death spiral will be hard. I predict this will end very much like Y/R did It sounds like Joshua is trying to recapture the old C/R but not sure that will happened for him. I think C/R worked cause they were lower level but the time senior came along they just could not keep up with the twist and other things that have to have a physics compliment in that advanced level. Wish them well but they have a ton of challenges. I bet their lines will be very nice though.

11. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

It can be done though. Jean-Sebastien Fecteau, who won five Canadian pairs medals with two partners (Valerie Saurette and Utako Wakamatsu) from 1997-2006, had a HUGE height difference with his second partner, Wakamatsu, as well. Fecteau was 6'0" and Wakamatsu was 4'11". They not only had a very strong triple twist but an advantage in lifts as well. It's all about how you maximize the difficulty. You even look at especially tall skaters over the years - Evan Lysacek, Laurent Tobel, even Olga Markova in ladies - they made it work to their advantage. I hope these 2 work out for sure! :) Going to a battle next at Nationals.

12. figureit

figureit Member

I have to disagree because a team skating before 2006 had totally different elements than the pair teams of today. Pair skating has changed as I said only lower levels can handle this as the senior level to be competitive requires so much more. I loved the pairs you mentioned but way back when well lets just say pairs today in the senior level looks NOTHING like the past. Quad twist...triple twist with arms coming down by hips and then catching the girl. More complicated lifts...etc...so I am hopeful but as the other poster said no contest with the top us teams and it is just based on the more difficult elements required to compete against the best in the world. Sometimes I don't even recognize pairs today the element are crazy!

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Markova was all of 5ft3. Did you mean someone else, like Volchkova, maybe? Even though she wasn't all that tall, either, more like 5ft6.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

For those questioning the Y/R breakup, this is what Reagan said in the article:

15. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

And yet James/Cipres are those same heights, and they are doing rather well. But what they are pulling off is incredibly rare, obviously.

It's strange how some pairs you think might work don't, and yet ones you wouldn't think would work actually do. It's almost like magic getting a pair team that's truly a good fit, there's no exact formula.

16. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Poor Caitlin...took them one year to figure out that they were not the right match? I am sure that there is more to the story but she must have been devastated.
    Ingo Steuer told James/Cipres that they were not the right match but that they could prove him wrong. I guess they kinda did so far.

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Certain timing things could be fixed over time, like getting your SBS jump set-ups to match or adjusting your timing for a throw jump, but other times it just doesn't happen. And, yes that can take months of training to figure that out.

18. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Isn't there always?

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Becky is the same height as Ashley Cain, who was quite visibly too tall for Reagan at the end of their partnership. I know Becky is very slight in build, as is Ashley, but even if her weight is comparable to a girl who's several inches shorter, it's still going to make a lot of the elements very difficult.

Also as for James/Cipres, I know James is listed as 5'6" but I have trouble believing she's anywhere close to that considering http://www.goldenskate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/neb_pairs.jpg
    Voloshoshar (listed 5'3"/160 cm and believably that height) appears to be similar in height, even a hair taller than James who doesn't even look significantly taller than Caydee Denney who is only like 5'1".
    Also team France in Detroit http://franceolympique.com/files/Image/Equipe-de-France/actualite/2013/detroit3.jpg, they are all in sneakers, Mae Berenice is 5'6" and Pechelat is 5'4" so that would make James around 5'2"-5'3"...no clue how she got listed as tall as 167 cm but she clearly isn't, whereas Bereswill is actually 5'6". So I don't think the situations are really comparable (because from what I reckon James is about 5'2.5" which is a very normal height for a pairs woman)

Wishing the best for this team but it seems like Reagan has been going through partners really quick for awhile now...we'll see how it works out.

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Was he dumped? I thought he was on the verge of retirement, and he and Becky agreed to give pairs a shot (I don't think she'd done pairs before working with him).

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Am pretty sure she's crouching/bending slightly in that pic. Here is a pic where she & Cipres are both standing up & she's a few inches closer to his height. http://www.flickr.com/photos/skatingpics/8066873575/

And where are her feet in that picture? Not sure what's so clear about her height, but I saw her and Bonheur a few years back in a hotel lobby and remember she was a little taller than my 5ft4 while in regular shoes.

22. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, she ended it. The Detroit Free Press article is now archived, but in it Trevor said that he felt fine about how things were progressing (they had declared Sochi as the goal right before Nationals), but that she apparently didn't and pulled the plug. This was after the disappointing 10th place at Nationals in 2011. After the split, she was apparently considering ice dance but decided to go back to singles.

23. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm thinking of a different article, but I remember reading a quote from Trevor that he was pleased with how they skated but discouraged by their scores. It seemed pretty clear that he decided it was time to stop skating (for him). He retired from skating and there was a mention that Becky was considering doing ice dance, but then a few weeks later it was announced she switched to Yuka/Jason/DSC to continue her singles training.

I think Becky and Josh are a good match and I hope they have a good first season together.

24. madm

madm Active Member

After giving the partnership a shot, I thought Trevor decided to use his newly obtained college engineering degree to get a job. It was clear that Trevor and Becky were not going to make the top 5 senior pairs at Nationals. He probably needed to earn an income.

25. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Isn't this just Cain/Reagan V.2? Tall girl who can jump? A few posters have said they feel sorry for Caitlin, what about Ashley? It seemed Cain/Reagan were well on their way towards some kind of success and then it just ended, and it ended on Josh's side if I remember correctly.

Oh well, good luck to them, at least we'll have more than 10 Senior Teams at US Nationals this Season.

26. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Someone joked during the senior ladies event at Nationals this year that they couldn't tell Cain and Bereswill apart. This partnership seems like a retread of partnerships that already didn't work; I can't imagine Josh/Becky ever getting a 3twist, for example. They are likely going to come up against the same ceiling that Josh encountered w/ Ashley and that Becky met w/ Trevor.

27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I thought that Josh's justification for ending his partnership with Ashley was not her height, but instead that she was devoting so much time to singles and he wanted to skate with someone who focused solely on pairs (that and former National Champ Caitlin was lurking....).

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  28. figureit

figureit Member

BRAVO Reese this is excellently stated. You always want things to work out and wish people well but why did not Josh try out with Andrea popst or? maybe even mary beth? who knows maybe she is ready to give it a go again under less pressure. There were other options and I think Becky is a gorgeous skater for singles or even dance.
    Anyway Bravo:cool:

29. figureit

figureit Member

They also knew they would never have a huge triple twist which is a MUST at the senior level especially if you want to place top 10 internationally.

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The thing is, Becky is probably less consistent than Ashley C., yet she's the same height. I'm not convinced that Josh is progressing in his partnership choices (I hope I'm wrong)