Because I've asked a million questions about double axels over the past two years...

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Jozet, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I thought I'd share that my kid landed one for the first time yesterday. :) Thank you for all the hand-holding.

I don't know why skating is so stressful for some parents (i.e. me.) It's not like I'm out there crashing on the ice, and I'm realistic about my kid's prospects for advancing to higher levels.

Still, it was a very cool thing to have happen. The single axel and double axel are pretty spectacular jumps to see. I watch so many International competitions where it's sort of a given that the double axel is one of the "easier" jumps...but to see some kid--any kid--land one for the first time, it's always a big celebration at our rink. I'm sure it's like that at other rinks as well.

Thanks again. I'll commence my hand-wringing about consistency. ;-)

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:cheer2: :cheer2:

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Congratulations to your daughter!!

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Congratulations to your skater! That's a huge accomplishment.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well done to her. It is a big jump for a skater to get.

6. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Thanks all!

She sent me this video. This one has a spinny ending, but looks like the real deal.

http://youtu.be/hpbyKaR-DpI

Don't want to waste a thread, so if anyone else wants to join in and share a recent skating accomplishment, please do!

I haven't been on the ice myself for a while. I was getting pretty good with my 1/4" height waltz jump last time I tried. ;)

7. Aussie Willy

I think it looks rotated. So that is good.

8. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

It's always hard for me to tell. I don't have that precise eye. At Intermediate level, skaters usually didn't put out any under-rotated doubles through lutz, but there were a lot of close double axels.

I guess that the psychological stress/mental challenge of putting a 2A in a program is so much more than other new jumps, that skaters would try them in programs even if they weren't perfect, just to get the mental practice? That was one explanation I got. Well, that, and it's just such a tougher jump than all previous doubles.

9. Aussie Willy

It is important for skaters to start putting in the harder jumps when they start to do them. What is satisfying is throughout a season you can see the skater improving and getting them more consistent.

10. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Agreed. It's a whole different group of skaters by October, even though we've been skating with them since April or May. :)

ETA: Ugh...I did that awful "we" thing. By "we" I mean "team Our Rink." I'm just the check book and car rides. ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Congratulations to your daughter! :cheer:

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

She goes into them with good speed and attack. Most skaters I know who are just working on a hard jump look a lot more tentative and slow. Very good sign for the future. Good for her & hope you have some fingernails left to gnaw on while she works on gaining more consistency ;).

I landed two decent single axels earlier this week, but I have a cold now and need to get my gold moves into shape before testing them in February. Not sure when's the next time stars will be properly aligned for me to pull in and rotate them.

13. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

It looks so easy when it's just in print like that, doesn't it? My daughter's coach has been telling her for a while "just pull in and rotate" and my daughter kept saying "there's no 'just' about it!" :D

And holy smokes, gold moves! That's amazing!

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video! I agree with ioana, she looks really fast and confident.

15. Aussie Willy

A coach and I used to say to people "just make it better" :)