Bazarova/Larionov Split

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by reese, Apr 1, 2014.

1. reese

reese Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

3. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

Wow. Some real shake-ups in skating partnerships this season :eek:.

4. itsartemis

itsartemis There will only be one Daisuke!

At least Niklas Hogner is happy now. I cannot count all the times he has said, while commentating on Swedish Eurosport: ”I simply do not get this pair. They have no connection, I have no idea what they are trying to convey and to say it bluntly: the girl cannot skate! The judges keep showering them with these undeserved marks. I have no idea why."

At the same time he is praising MT/M and wuzrobbing them every time they come 4th.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  5. siggy

siggy Member

This

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  6. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Damn, I was sure this was the first of the April fool's threads.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The April Fool's threads this year are far less outlandish than the "news" threads. :shuffle:

8. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Oh wait, this is real?! Wow. Though I've never gotten them as a pair, this is unexpected.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

*Niklas. And he was right. :p

Bazarova/Larionov did have exceptional lifts and twist lifts but their jumps were substandard and their presentation was really lacking. And they haven't really developed it at all since entering international competitions. Well, I guess their programs this season were slightly better than what they have had before but their lack of performance skills and sloppy postures and lines remained.

10. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Awww! Good luck to them both.

Are they still an off-ice couple?

11. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am guessing they have already found a tiny 15-year old with jumps through to the 3lutz to skate with Larionov. So you better all get mentally ready for another Antipova/Maisuradze style team with strong elements and not much else. Make sure a cushion is strapped to your desk so that you can avoid concussions once the scores come up. :p

13. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

From Vera VK page:
    "I am grateful to Yuri for everything he has done for me .. I did not leave him in a difficult situation .. sorry, but he made the decision himself ..."

14. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I'm glad he left this girl... She couldn't jump her way out of a paper bag.. It was almost embarrassing to see someone on the world stage competing in pairs when she would not have made it out of a singles regional competition in the U.S. with those jumps

15. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I was sure this was an April fool's thread...

16. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That's sad for Vera to have things end when she didn't want them to but this partnership seemed doomed once they were passed within Russia by S/K and had to sit on the sidelines at the Olympics and not compete for a team medal (which ended up being gold).

17. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

Mother Russia is really bringing the off-season drama this year. But given all the build-up to Sochi, we probably should not be surprised.

18. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Piseev: Vera Bazarov / Yuri Larionov has no future without a stable performance of jump elements, so decay duo natural
    http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140401/740133125.html

Larionov:
    http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140401/740161964.html

19. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I am sad to hear this news. I always had a soft spot for Vera and Yuri. I know they had a lot
    of technical issues and this split is probably for the best, but I still liked their skating. So many
    skaters splitting up and retiring, makes me a little misty eyed.

Best of luck to them both.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

So was I. I didn't even bother opening it initially.

21. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Bazarova:
    http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...aya-figuristka-Bazarova-Reshenie-YUri-stalo-d

22. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Bazarova:
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/159124852.html

23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I thought- "OK, another April fool thread". Sorry to see them split but they were going nowhere. I always felt that they were not well matched physically. Their lifts were spectacular though.

Vera sounds so sad! She is a lovely young lady. Now she has to find not only another partner, but another coach as well. I hope she gets lucky in both. She is young. When Yuri failed his drug test, she stuck by him instead of finding another partner, but I think it was time for him to move on, since they were only regressing.

I hope Vera can find a suitable partner (may be Rogonov?) and continues to skate. Another partner won't fix her jump problems but it may take the focus off the weaknesses, and she can gradually work on her jumps without the pressure to make it to #2. I wonder if a coaching change may work for her? Tamara is going to retire, but may be another coach?

24. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Poor girl. I will be shocked if he finds better success without her. At least with her one can hope that if she eats more and builds up some strength it will help her jumps.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Let's be realistic. She probably won't find another partner. At least not in Russia. :( Same as Mukhortova. Iliushetchkina, and Martiusheva. They all struggled with jumps, and male partners are not waiting in queue for female partners who don't land their jumps. Her only chance would be to skate for another country.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

And the chances of Russia releasing her are practically nil.

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that now she was 'branded' as a person who 'can't jump' and I don't think Russian figure skating is such forgiving environment to give second chances. So even if she spent several months doing only jumps and nothing at all and eventually got it in control and was landing them quite reliably, I don't think she would have the opportunity to persuade anyone to skate with her. Shows probably, but not at the elite level.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Why? It's not like she will be a threat to Russian pairs if she skated for another country. I am still hoping that she will find a partner.

Must all my favorite pairs skaters (ladies) be without a partner? Not so long ago it was Yankowskas. Lubov still seems to be without a partner.The list keeps growing.

IMO some of the Russian men that are not strong jumpers (no 3A or quad) should consider turning to pairs skating. There is such a shortage of male partners!

29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

That would be too late for Bazarova or Martiusheva. Any such partnership would be like Jessica Dube with Wolfe, or Takahashi with Kihara. It is much more difficult to teach singles men do pairs that the other way round. (Saying that, Vanessa James with her partner are doing well so it can be done...)

30. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

This is mostly OT but are Russian guys now less interested in skating than 20 years ago? It has been like that in the US but I didn't think Russia had that issue.