Battle Of The Nutcrackers-Dance Off

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DarrellH, Dec 9, 2010.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

They seem to be using the same exact graphics used on So You Think You Can Dance.
    The one I watched last night was very nice.

2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I've been recording them, but haven't watched yet. I loved the Casse Noisette one when I saw it last year.

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Who won?

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I don't think they announce it until Christmas Eve when they actually show the winner with fanfare. I noticed today that they are repeating some. The voting may still be be open.

5. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Where is this being broadcast?

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It's on Ovation, and it was evenings last week, and looks like they were running them all day this week (before 8pm).

Vote Royal Ballet! ;)

I gave the Bejart one about ten minutes. I knew going in it was Bejart, it was going to be VERY odd, but I just couldn't keep going.

7. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I love different parts of each one. I voted for Berlin State Ballet but I love different things about each one.

I adore Bejart's creativity and quirkiness, and using the form of the Nutcracker to tell his own life story.

I love the precision of both Royal and Bolshoi. Bolshoi's Arabian is perhaps my all time favorite Arabian Variation, and I love that they actually have dancers DANCE in the Polchinelle music instead of having Mother Ginger and her children. I LOVE the music but don't like the Mother Ginger scene at all, so having actual dancers in that scene like ABT and Bolshoi do is a real treat for me.

The difficulty in the Bolshoi's Spanish Variation astounded me.

Casse Noisette was a hard sell even for me. I love the creativity and thought that goes into it, but I had a hard time following the storyline and what was going on. I loved that they had an Aunt and Uncle Drosseylmeyer though, I've always wondered where she was. :lol: Having seen Bejart, Bourne, and now Casse's Nutcracker, I have to say Casse wins the award for weirdest Nutcracker I've ever seen, and perhaps some of the weird choreography I've ever seen.

I think it's safe to say I will never find a Chinese variation I like.

8. danceronice

I never wondered about an Aunt, as in the book he's Judge Drosselmyer or Godfather, not an Uncle per se. And what I adore about the Royal Ballet's version is that they basically follow the Hoffmann rather than the Dumas (age up Marie/Clara, the Nutcracker Prince is Drosselmeyer's nephew) even if they do kind of edit out the Princess Pirlipat story for time and structure's sake, so we're left a little "Huh?" on how the kid got turned into a nutcracker in the first place.

I think the only Chinese/Tea variation I really can say I love is...the mushrooms in Fantasia! (Because that one little mushroom is so cute.)

avivadawn and (deleted member) like this.
  9. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

San Francisco Ballet actually has a relatively decent Chinese Tea, they incorporate the Chinese New Year Dragon and the choreography isn't as horribly offensive as most of the Tea variations tend to be.

10. REO

REO New Member

I like the Bolshoi the best. Royal second. The Bejart is too bizarre for me. The thing I object to the most is the additions to the music. Parisienne street music does not belong. The ballet is by Tchaikovsky not some hooker with an accordian.
    They did this last year too. I never did check who won!

11. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Hard Nut won last year

12. backspin

backspin Active Member

can you see it online anywhere?

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

And the year before. I wonder if that is why it's not being shown this year - to give something else a chance.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

That looks fabulous! I wonder if there's a DVD of the complete ballet? LOVE it!

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

There are a number of youtube clips from varying years, but I haven't seen a DVD.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

20. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I wuz-robbed of Ovation :wuzrobbed and Nutcracker dance-off--I loved that ballet so much as a child, my mom can't stand it. Not even watching the first 30 minutes of the Ballanchine massacre starring--wait for it--Macaulay Culkin--12 times (subbing for an elementary music teacher) could kill my love for it. From the clips I saw, Bolshoi FTW. But I'd happily sit down and watch any of them. :)

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

Though being the unkultured 'Merikun heathen that I am, I prefer the Dumas over the Hoffman :slinkaway

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Tonight is rerun of Berlin State Ballet, and tomorrow is rerun of Bolshoi.

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I watched the Casse Noisette yesterday. Unusual to be sure, but parts of it I really liked! I just wish the Baryshnikov/Kirkland Nutcracker was being shown. It would get my vote for sure. :respec:

Drama queen in the studio, or not, Gelsey Kirkland was absolutely wonderful...

23. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I love that one too, but my vote would go to the 1986 production Nutcracker: The Motion Picture with the Pacific Northwest Ballet, set by Maurice Sendak.
    forest scene and dance of the snowflakes

But since this is not an option, my vote goes to Royal Opera Ballet because Miyako Yoshida is in it. :swoon:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  24. danceronice

Okay, can I get a plot summary of Berlin's version? And does anyone know where they grabbed the music for the prince's "I'm the director of this company and I'm getting a big solo in Act II' number that was rather obviously NOT from the Nutcracker? I would assume it was Tschaikovski but from another ballet?

I liked the production overall as I enjoy kind of weird German Expressionist kind of moods, but it was a tad confusing. (Not as confusing as Bejart, but if you understand Bejart entirely, you're doing it wrong.)

And I LOVE the Sendak production! I have the book (Hoffmann's novella) illustrated with Sendak's sketches and drawings for the PNW's version. That's always been "the" Nutcracker in my mind.

I like Ballanchine, but I cannot get past that rotting squirrel carcass of a "performance" by Macauly Culkin.

25. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I always have a small problem when I watch PNW's version of Nutcracker - the prince looks too much like Snidely Whiplash, and I keep expecting him to tie Clara to the traintracks... :eek:

26. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

:rofl: He really does!

27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Just watched the rerun of the Bejart version. Who gave Naomi Judd an accordian?

28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

This channel has WAY too many commericials. I guess I'm used to watching ballet on PBS. Agree w/above that Gelsey & Barishnikov is a fabulous version of Nutcracker.

29. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I love the ABT version except that Clara looks like she's home on Christmas Break from university not an adolescent young girl.

30. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Who is dancing the role of Clara?