Battle of the Blades Season 2 Part 3

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Dave of the North, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

After the Ice Melts

Tonight they are talking with the 16 competitors and showing some backstage stuff, new stuff mostly.

2. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Yay...i'll tape it tonight :)
    Can't wait to watch it!

3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

It's well worth watching.

4. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

very good. I wonder when it was filmed.

5. victorskid

It was obviously done after they knew the final result. In a comment from Sandra (about a "girls" practice with Kurt), I got the impression it was taped on the day after the final show.

That would have been the same day that Katia & Val appeared on George S's show.

6. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Can anyone tell us what the special was about? any cute moments?
    Wasn't able to watch it on tv.

7. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Wow, I didn't expect to bawl my eyes out watching this! :wuzrobbed:

I laughed an awful lot too though. :)

8. shopper

shopper Member

they were very very emotional.

9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

yeah al those tough hacky guys with tears in theri eyes - demonstrated how emotuonal the show was for all of them= a nice touch- - i was kinda hoping for some skating tho!!!

10. victorskid

Desperado and (deleted member) like this.
  11. BBI*CEO

BBI*CEO New Member

The show was taped on Tuesday, the day after the announcement show, which was a Monday. Everyone partied like heck the night before at the wrap party! Hoping clips will show up on youtube for those of us outside of Canada - thank you in advance!

12. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

When PJ told his story about Violetta's pants I was thinking to myself "Could her pants really get any tighter?"

I confess that I too got teary at the emotional bits.

Always leave them wanting more - and I did - Christine barely said a word, Val didn't get a wrap up comment when all the others did at the end, etc, etc, etc. Of course I would not have wanted to sacrifice a second of what they did show either. I had expected them to go more into the physical toll - the injuries, the strains of being away from family, but I'm glad they didn't as that was covered a great deal during the competition already - good choice. Oh and good job Ron and Kurt as facilitators - didn't talk anymore than necessary to keep things moving along and on topic.

Interesting how it was pointed out that the guys all were getting "addicted" to the adrenaline high of performing for the audience. I don't think we saw that quite as much last year. The early emphasis on choreo and the presentation (ballet-not) lessons were obviously a good idea.

13. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

The show just reminded me how much I'm going to miss BOTB until next year. :wuzrobbed:

Val was :lol: in general. And PJ, "remember there was that show and they broke the trophy?" :rofl:

14. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Out of all the things that were shared, I wish I could have gotten a look at JR's face when he opened up the door from the low lighted side of the bathroom to see Georges' looming over him in full Devil hair do in the full light outside of the bathroom...ROTFLOL!!!

That and PJ telling Russ, "I'm NOT putting my hand down there!!" when the buttons keeping his shirt buttoned to the underside of Russ' pants came undone and Russ was asking for help. :D

15. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

When Anabelle was talking about Georges not being able to keep a straight face and laughing during "bring back sexy" week, she said they had to retake the beginning of the number 30 times that day. In the clip shown, there was also three unidentified people substituting for the judges. Where retakes used like at CSOI in Hamilton?

P.S. CSOI is being televised tomorrow on CBC at 9:00pm.

16. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

I think Anabelle meant, during the dress rehearsals, they had to redo the opening. I was there the first two weeks, and Anabelle and Georges definitely did not do a retake of their number.

17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, here's a strange bit of information I received a few days ago and I'm not sure if it's accurate or if someone is misinformed.

I was talking with some hockey people about BOTB and one person told me that the hockey players were all paid to participate - to the tune of $100,000! Well, when I got told that I answered that perhaps they misunderstood. I explained that the couples were all skating for charity, that the winning couple got $100,000 for their charity and the other couples got $25,000 and the response I got was noooo, they got this information second hand and were pretty sure it was accurate that the hockey players were paid to participate. So the "chain" of information went participant - hockey person - hockey person - me. Well now I'm scratching my head because I don't ever recall reading anything about the hockey players being paid for their stint on the show regardless of how long they lasted. Can anyone confirm if such information is correct or incorrect?

Also, I really enjoyed PJ's story about how to button up those shirts. Did anyone see at the end of the show how PJ got off his chair and was making his way over to another hockey player who I think might have been Theo because just before break, Theo had been sharing his thoughts and got quite choked up about it as did Jamie.

Thanks CBC for another wonderful season of BOTB and here's hoping to another.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't know the facts, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the hockey players and skaters were all paid, in addition to the judges - this is the case in other reality/competition shows, regardless of what they are playing for.

19. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Of course the skaters were paid for their time and their performances. That sorta went without saying - but maybe it needed to be said.

Yes, the prize money was for charity and that's very important. But these folks weren't working for nothing.

I have said this before re: other charity skating events. It is rare that skaters (or any talent in a charity situation which features talent) donate their time. For the Michael Weiss Foundation, they do and it is stated that they do. If you don't hear that the skaters are donating their time, assume that they're not because they most likely are not. Sometimes they make top dollar (when it's televised, etc.), sometimes they do it very cheap to maximize proceeds to a charity (small, one-off shows and events), sometimes they donate everything (more rare). Not anything new but a surprise to many people.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

To appear in a one time event for charity is one thing, but to commit months to a series is another. Hundreds of people worked on the show behind the scenes, and they were all paid, so it makes sense that the on-air talent should also be paid.

And charities benefited financially and through awareness building - everybody wins.

21. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Exactly. Also, there are unions which set minimums for TV, film, etc. appearances and you can't just go around that either.

22. ildah

ildah New Member

When Jamie was interviewed the day after she got booted she said (jokingly?) that she was mad she wouldn't get paid now for the last 2 weeks. I'm sure that's why she didn't officially sign up until later, she was negotiating with BOTB for money, since she would be one of the big draws for the show considering last year. Of course they are paid.

I watched a bit of the last show. Theo interrupted Russ and it was one too many interruptions for me. I can really see his neediness the more I see him interviewed, even though I admire his spunk. Considering that I have a friend with 2 kids who has terminal cancer this Christmas time, and friends who have a child with cancer - I wasn't too drawn in by his tears and Jamie's about the challenging times of change and growth that they have in common. Well, a lot more sympathy for Theo if I have any out of the 2 of them.

23. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

During the "After the ice melts" episode, PJ told the story of how Violetta could not keep a straight poker face, after he told her to say nothing and walk away from the table. I had assumed this was in reference to additional money negotiations to remain on the show after they had been eliminated.

24. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Thanks all for clearing up about the getting paid. I just assumed (and incorrectly, it appears) that these people would be donating their time. I thought it was very, very generous of them to do so and thought so highly of them. Please don't take that wrong, I still have high opinions of the skaters and the hockey players, I was just taken aback when I heard they had received payment. Silly me for thinking they did it for free. Again, my thanks for clearing up my misconception.

25. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Apparently this was the second time the trophy was broken. According to Jamie, they broke it last year also. However, it happened off the air.

26. robin59103

robin59103 New Member

According to a recent Craig Simpson interview, it was their two smaller trophies that got smashed up while they were being delivered to them. Not the big one.

Craig thought it would be safer if he brought the two replacements home (since he was already in Toronto and he could pick them up) Jamie then went on to do an interview, they asked her to bring the trophy to the studio and some girl there didn't know the base wasn't attached and dropped and smashed it again!!

In the same interview, Ron MacLean said he also got a crystal memento for being the host and that also got dropped by the delivery man and got smashed up too! LOL

27. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I thought that had more to do with keeping the secret about the second chance show.

28. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I'm assuming Theo meant the ordeal of having his abuser arrested during the Oct/Nov period of the show and having to give interviews and press conferences about it. I have the utmost respect for him and see him as a positive role model for male victims of sexual abuse. I see him as completely sincere, including the tears.

Plus it was a pretty emotion filled show with them showing the guys crying at one time or another.

29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

After PJ finished the story, Violetta responded to PJ,..."of course I want to be back. how can I say no?". "Walk away from the table", "poker face", "you just threw your hand on the table (after Violetta started giggling once told they were not eliminated)". Sounds like negotiation tactics to me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  30. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i knwo that DWTS people make up to 375,000 if they make it for the full run ( 25,000 an episode i thought i heard? i wondered how much they make to do BOTB- i mean katia gordeeva must be worth more than anabelle langios? but i wonder how much they had to 'negotiate' with??? i dont care how much they make but it would be interesting to fiund out ( i often wonder the same about soi and csoi- I mean how much do they get for the whol tour? - i rememebr kaita saying back when her and sergei started with touring they were given an envelope that had been opened by the federation and they had no idea hwo miuch was taken before they got it!)