Battle of the Blades - Fall 2010

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Castlerock, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

ITA! Might be a heck of an ice dancer too lol!

2. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I'm thinking the Russians will be hockey players not figure skaters... :cool:

Good for them. Congrats!! :)

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  3. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Heck yeah! I can't wait to see pics!

4. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Pavel Bure perhaps?

5. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Wasn't she on Ice Age or the other Russian celebrity skating show?

She and Pelletier had lousy choreography and virtually no practice time. Battle of the Blades is a much more organized competition than Thin Ice (look at the titles). As the postings show, the participants are already at a training camp. There is organized training, coaching, choreography, costume design, etc. I think Elena would be great if she signed on.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Perhaps both ;)

7. ildah

ildah New Member

I'm just trying to figure out how last year's winners are going to get out of appearing on this year's show. They are going to have to make SOME kind of appearance, but with all the rumors around it's a little delicate wouldn't you say?.

When I heard Craig on the fan 590 being interviewed about hockey back in May or June, he couldn't get off the topic of battle of the blades fast enough when he was asked about whether he would make an appearance.

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Has there been an announcement that they will?
    The show could always get around it by showing footage from last year and talking about e.g. how last year proved that hockey players could really skate and how much more excitement there will be this year, etc. etc. etc.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

But where's the fun in that :saint:

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Jamie and Craig are in the promos for the new season, and AFAIK, Jamie is a returning skater. I'm guessing we won't see Craig on the show, but otherwise looks like they are plowing ahead regardless of this.

I actually think the divorce was "announced" when it was so that the headlines/gossip would hopefully die down by the time the show comes back on the air. By that time, they are likely hoping/assuming that people will be excited about the new skaters and hockey players and not bother with the "old" news of Jamie & Craig.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

How about Maria Butyrskaya paired with her husband? :)

Wheeee for Marie-France & Patrice! That's awesome news! :cheer2:

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Participant Kelly Chase is keeping a Blog.

Congrats to Marie France & Patrice! :)

13. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Thanks for this, shutterbug. It's always interesting to see how the hockey players are feeling about figure skating. :)

14. Mariko88

Mariko88 New Member

Ug. What a load of utter crap.

15. shopper

shopper Member

any word on where it will be and when tickets go on sale?"

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:rolleyes: Nobody's forcing you to watch or follow something that many of us enjoyed last season.

17. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Battle of the Blades, CBC’s smash reality TV hit that reached 1.7 million views last year, will return for a second season on Sept. 26. The show, which is moving from Maple Leaf Gardens to a studio by the Toronto waterfront, will be hosted by Ron MacLean and Kurt Browning, and starts off the season with a behind-the-scenes special that delves into the hockey players’ training and characters. Skaters Shae-Lynn Bourne and Jamie Salé will be returning, and former Montreal Canadien and Toronto Maple Leaf Russ Courtnall is the first ex-NHL-er to be trotted out as one of the willing subjects. Here, Browning talks about last season’s cast hook-ups (or not), Canadiana and changes to the upcoming season.

Read more: http://arts.nationalpost.com/2010/0...ason-2-of-battle-of-the-blades/#ixzz0uzOaYzwi

18. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I recognize some of those quotes from last year - particularly the part about "the wife". I wonder if the paper just took them from last year? I can't see Kurt saying that again now considering...

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The article is dated May 27.

20. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

No. But I mean the paper could have taken some of the quotations from past interviews = even though it was published this year. Or I guess he could have said it again - kind of how you retell stories - but I would think that would be one he wouldn't retell at this point.

21. ildah

ildah New Member

Unless it was a totally different wife who asked the skater if she was having an affair with her husband, a wife who really didn't have anything to worry about.

But even if it was a different wife, I can't see Kurt saying that in May of this year considering, as you say, what has transpired and what is going to be quite the story when they start being public about it.

I wonder who will be at Craig's charity golf tournament this year, next week in fact, considering that the huge donation from his participation is the big news for this year's event. Will Jamie? Will David? Will Craig's wife? :rolleyes:
    Everybody thinks that the $100,000 for such a great cause such as spinal cord research is so fantastic, but my reaction is "at what cost?". I'm sure there are a few family members out there who wish they had never heard of Battle of the Blades.

22. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Kelly Chase posted a different date in his blog.

23. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I believe the competition starts on the October date - there was mention in the article about a special show of "background" first.

24. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Ahhh. I see. Thanks

25. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

That's a little harsh - I don't see a link between an alleged infidelity and raising funds for a good cause at all. It's not as if only faithful people can do good things.

26. Mariko88

Mariko88 New Member

And no one is forcing you to reply to my post.

27. ildah

ildah New Member

There's no link between infidelity and raising funds for a good cause, just my observation that for a lot of people the cost to one family of that well intentioned decision to try to win a lot of money for a good cause, might not seem worth it in the long or even short-term run. I voted my brains out in BOTB last year for the 'cause'.

The retrospective on the first night of this year's BOYB should be interesting.

28. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I must have missed where it was confirmed that there actually was an affair.

29. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

It'll certainly be interesting dynamics when it airs................

The last season, I observed they seemed to go to great pains to ensure 'no rumors or scandal.' Mention of various spouses was rampant IIRC? There was no indication of anything between the 2 and Jamie seems very well liked amongst all the praticipants?

30. ildah

ildah New Member

No you didn't miss where it was confirmed about an affair :rolleyes: and of course you're right. It is all speculation. It never will be confirmed either, obviously, that it started during the fall of 2009.

From one imperfect person (me) who in her younger days did have an affair, you go to great lengths to ignore the person if you can when you are in a group of people. This wasn't an option in the case of the skaters and their partners, but I always found it funny how the people who loved Shae Lynn and Claude's skating said there was zero connection between Simpson and Sale ;)

To be truthful, I'm one of the people who actually does not think they had an affair during botb. I don't think it started until afterwards, possibly shortly after the new year. And it doesn't matter what I think. Anyway I'm having dinner with my friend of the Simpson family next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.