Basically, I am wondering what's basically up with the word basically

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Bonita, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

At first I just thought it was my husband. Every other sentence, the word "basically" was sneaking in. Then I started hearing my bosses saying it. Heard it on the train. Basically (ha ha) everywhere. It reminds me of when everyone (including me) was a Valley Girl and said "like" about 100 times a day. Does anyone know where this comes from? It's driving me insane!

I listened to this very nice young man and his male friend while walking home from skating tonight. He was discussing his girlfriend and why she was "the one." She "basically" is really nice and "basically" is "the one" and he really cared about her but "basically" the 90% good versus the 10% bad (basically, she's too "straight" (i.e., goody goody)) basically outweighed the bad. OMG!

Is this a TV thing? Though I watch a lot more TV than the hubby and am not hearing it on any shows I watch! Oh my gosh! is my pet peeve there, LOL.

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Nah there are lots of words that get overused. I find I use "actually" a lot and have to intervene on myself from time to time.

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I listen to a radio show every morning and have noticed that when people call in they use the word "actually" a zillion times. And actually its not actually correct usage of the word actually It actually drives me crazy!!

:scream:

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I hear ya'. The word usage that has driven me crazy over the years is "awesome." Especially because it's a great word that is incorrectly used. Oh, well.

5. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

"Exactly" in excess drives me nuts.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I can't stand when people finish a sentence with ", you know?" Drives me to the brink of madness, I tell ya!

7. Nora_Charles

Nora_Charles New Member

Well, basically ;), I think lots of people are guilty of having that one word that they overuse/abuse. For me, it's "totally", and I'm totally trying to break myself of it. :D No, seriously, I really do notice that I overuse that word and am trying to quit. It just becomes habit, to the point that you don't even notice you're doing it!

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Stuff. I say "stuff like that" too much. Had to police myself to keep from using it in the work context when it is not a very useful description.

Basically hasn't caught on in my circles yet. Phew.

9. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Well, like, you know, basically, all those overused words are actually like fillers, you know?

It's sometimes easier for folks to use "filler" words while they're attempting to express themselves verbally and stuff. :)

My Uncle used to stutter horribly. He went to some language guru (and I use that word very loosely) who gave him a handy tip of using a filler phrase to prevent the stutter. That was years ago. And, you know something? It worked! Now all these years later, my Uncle Joe still throws "and everything and all" at the beginning, middle and end of every sentence or comment that comes out of his mouth! He's been cured!!! :lol:

O-

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

A bit different, yet a word gripe to me is the word 'extraordinary'. To me, the parts of the word mean that whatever you're referring to is extremely regular (extra ordinary) but it's instead used to refer to something that is outstanding.

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sounds like we have a help group going on here for overused words.

12. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Mine is "absolutely"! I'm addicted to that word worse than an OES to illusion fabric!

13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I use 'like' quite a bit. Also, 'or whatever' and 'or something'.

But the big one for me is 'and stuff'. I know I say it too much and I'm trying to stop using it so often. I'm very aware of it to the point that it actually annoys me. I'll be talking about something I did or saw and at the end I'll throw in 'and stuff'. I guess it's nothing more than another phrase or whatever for etc.

I think 'actually' is my 9 year old nephew's favorite word. :lol: He says it a lot.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  14. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

15. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

16. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah people use basically way too much.

Another word that drives me nuts lately is "super." So many adults use it now, and it makes them sound like 5 yr olds. "Wow! I'M SUPER EXCITED!" Ok thanks, Cindy Brady.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

I remember a few years ago everyone was using "Seriously?" :D

18. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

It bugs me that impact has been "verbed" into impacted and has essentially replaced affected.

(I use "really" way too much)

19. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I caught myself on the basically train a few months ago. I had to give a speech to a group of business people in honor of my boss. I wasn't planning on giving the speech, as someone else was supposed to be there.

I started the speech with, "So basically..." I heard it coming out of my mouth and wanted to die. :eek:

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

"extra" as a standalone adjective means extremely or more than usual.

But "extra-" as a prefix means outside of (beyond).

extraordinary = outside of/beyond the ordinary
    extraterrestrial = beyond the terrestrial
    extramarital = outside of marriage

etc.

21. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

My nieces (5 and 3) say "actually" constantly.. it's quite funny. My mom will say something to them and they'll say "actually Nana..." They crack me up lol.

22. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Me, too. As for overused words, "literally" and "random" make me grit my teeth.

23. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

OMG, I love Top Model and totally forgot about that, hilarious!

24. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Add virtually to that list for me.

25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

My current most disliked locution is "and whatnot" -- especially when repeated 7 or 8 times in as many sentences. I hear it used by local athletes in interviews all the time.

26. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I feel like I overuse almost everything that has been mentioned in this thread!! Now I'm wondering if I ever say anything of substance, ha.

Last year I was on a quest to replace "awesome". I felt like I used it so much that it lost its "awesomeness" and didn't convey "awesomeness" like I wanted it to. I still haven't found a replacement and I am really self-conscious when I use it.

The word that irks me is "literally". It would be pretty bad if half the things people say "literally" happened to them ACTUALLY (lol) happened.

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I had a supervisor once who was trying to wean herself from saying 'basically' all the time. This was in '94 so I don't think it's a new thing.

28. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

What it means when you say "literally"

:D

29. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

30. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I have a bad habit of saying "etc" and "and whatnot" at the end of sentences lol