Baseball Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HeatherC, Apr 6, 2010.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Well, my team didn't have that great of a day (my Reds lost to the Cardinals for their home opener this afternoon) but I am SO STOKED that baseball is back for a new season! Anyone else ready for some baseball?! :biggrinbo

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Well, neither did mine, but I went to the game! Nats got destroyed by the Phillies. It was here in DC, but I could have sworn we were in Philly - their fans outnumbered ours like 4-1.

At least we got McNabb.

3. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

My Braves beat the Cubs 16-5!:) I'm excited for this season. Hopefully the Braves will send Bobby Cox out(this is his last season as manager before retiring) with a great season!

4. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

:shuffle: Gee, everyone at my office was quite happy with the outcome :lol: The guys finally hooked up the cable to the new TV in our office so we would be able to see the Phillies day games. (I am still slightly bitter that they couldn't hook the cable up before Worlds... :p)

I don't know anyone who is unhappy that he is gone... :shuffle: (I don't follow football much)

5. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

You know I've been waiting for baseball since the end of last year's World Series. The Red Sox came back several times to defeat the Yankees on Opening Night Sunday. With the Sox locking up Josh Beckett for 4 more years, they have open of the strongest starting 3 pitchers in all of baseball for years to come with Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and John Lackey. w00t!

6. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

My teams all had great opening days. The Red Sox won, the Braves won, and most importantly the Cardinals won. I went to the beach instead of staying home and watching the Cards season opener and I felt so bad about it.

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Go Tigers! :cheer2: :cheer2:

We're going to a game on Sunday. Hopefully it's decent weather - so far the forecast looks good.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oddly, there were a lot of Phillies fans at the Nats game wearing their McNabb jerseys.

I think most Phils are just steamed he got traded within the division. But we need someone who can dump the ball off on the run with our crap line till we get it rebuilt.

9. lenac03

lenac03 New Member

My Rockies won game 1 but appear to be in position to lose game 2. Glad it's a long season - they can have another slow April if it means they'll finish the way they did last year!

10. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Giants sweep the Astros in Houston, giving up only 6 runs over three games. Houston looks like they will have trouble scoring much this season.

11. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

2 games into the season and the Cubs have already made me put my head through the window! There's always next year... :shuffle:

12. lenac03

lenac03 New Member

Lame, Rockies. Seriously lame. Although they started 18-28 last year and still were the NL Wild Card. It's early yet.

I am going to watch the Houston Astros play the Cincinnati Reds at the end of the month when I go to Houston for work.

13. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Go Twins!! Now 2-1! Rockstars. :cheer:
    I can't wait to see 25 games at the new gorgeous Target Field!

I love how MLB starts as soon as Worlds ends.

14. BelleBway

Me too. :cheer2:

Go, Phillies! 2 and 0 for the first time since ???? (usually they have crap starts and heat it up in Aug and Sept) :cheer:

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

DH is a little ticked off at me because he missed out on three Mets games at Citifield. I entered the kids in a competition this weekend, so we couldn't make our planned trip to NYC.

I bought him the MLB package on DirecTV to make up for it, though.

Let's Go Mets!

16. HeatherC

Reds finally get their first win of the year today and they do it in dramatic fashion too! It was a big pitcher's duel between Arroyo and Penny (Bronson went 8 innings and Penny went 7 innings and each of them only gave up one run) and finally, in the bottom of the ninth, Jonny Gomes hit a walk off HR to win it for the Reds! WOOT!!! :D I'm glad the guys didn't get swept by the Cards and now it's time to kick some Cubbie behind this weekend! GO REDS!!! :cheer:

17. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Marlins come home v the Dodgers after opening 2-1 against the Mets. Evidently they played some really bad ball in NY, but the Mets were a run or 2 worse. Over 33,000 are expected tonight. I wish we could average that for the season, but I know better...:(

NJL (...and, the Miami Football Club "Blues" open their season on Saturday v the Rochester Rhinos in Div 2 NASL play @ Lockhart Stadium in Ft Lauderdale...Since tickets only cost $12.00 & they have free parking I'll be attending that game...:)...I hope that the Blues can get 33,000 fans total to attend for the season this year...;)....)

18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Jays fan checking in and hey! they won their series against Texas. WOW and came close to sweeping it. Nice start but the finish ... well, we are rebuilding and this year, without Doc. Could be interesting but I'm thinking it might me more like a train wreck.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Hee, Nats won one!

20. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I love Arroyo. :) However, Penney pisses me off, he sucked on the Sox, but as soon as he's traded he's awesome. I saw the recap of that game this morning and it looked like a good one. :)

21. purple skates

Tiger's home opener going on right now. :)

ETA - We won! :cheer2:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  22. HeatherC

Reds win again!! They beat the Cubbies 5-4 tonight but nearly gave their entire fanbase heart failure by having one of THE most stressful ninth innings ever. I'm glad they got the win (eventually!) but GEESH guys. Can you make tomorrow's game just a little less stressful!? It took about fifteen minutes for my heart rate to come back down after that last inning, LOL :lol: :yikes:

23. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Go Tigers! I miss my Granderson badly, but the team is off to a good start. Very pleased with the pitching so far.

24. purple skates

Me too. We'll be seeing Verlander in person tomorrow. Last time I looked the weather said rain at game time. :(

I didn't realize that Bonderman's injuries were as extensive as they were. I was listening to the radio broadcast today and they said it was a blood clot where they had to remove some rib and rearrange muscle :eek:

25. BelleBway

I am rusty- totally forgot to check the Phillies score while at SOI! (which I can easily do on my phone) Glad the Phillies aren't as rusty as I am. :lol:

26. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Don't sweat the small stuff...;)

The Phillies are picked to run away with the NL East & go deep into the playoffs, if not all the way to another championship ring. They certainly have the players to do it. They'll not shock me if they do do it.

My beloved Marlins showed their achilles heel again last night: the bullpen blew a lead in the 8th. Fortunately, the Dodger bullpen blew the game in the 9th, so life was good for us in the end. However, we'll not always be fortunate to be the comeback kids. The BP has got to have at least a couple guys that can close the door on the opposition once a late lead is achieved. If not, we'll "enjoy" watching an arch-rival win it all again.

NJL

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  27. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Have a great time! Hopefully Verlander will be better than his first outing. The rain is supposed to end by this morning, so you should have good weather. My first tickets aren't until June, but I will be there in spirit!

I am so happy that Bonderman's first outing was so good. After all he has been through, this should be a nice confidence booster for him.

28. HeatherC

Reds starter Mike Leake becomes the 21st player to skip the minors entirely and make his big league debut today. So far he's thrown 3 innings giving up no runs (and it hasn't been easy, LOL :p) and now he just got his first big league hit in the last inning! Hope the Reds can get some offense going for him soon. GO Reds!!! :cheer:

29. purple skates

The weather cleared as we were waiting to get into the park. Verlander was ok after the first inning, but that first one was pretty awful. What an ending, though. I feel bad for the Cleveland pitcher.

(Cleveland was leading 8-6 going into the 9th. One run already scored, bases loaded and their pitcher walked in the tie run. Then a passed ball led to the winning run being scored.)

30. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I could not believe the hole that was dug after the first inning! I hate being at games like that. Thank goodness Verlander was better after. I still can not believe the Tigers won that game. I went outside to do some gardening after the eighth inning. I was (happily) stunned that we ended up winning! We need every W we can get this year, no matter how we get them.

Glad you ended up with good weather. :)