Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Granted as a Braves fan I'm biased, but everything I've read suggests that Chipper is well-liked and respected throughout the game. He's a great mentor to the younger players on the team, and it will be strange seeing the Braves without him...

So - is it because he cheated on his first wife? Because while I can't condone that sort of behavior, it was a very long time ago, he took responsibility for what he did, and he seems to have a great relationship with his oldest son.

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

He cheated on his second wife, too. He's from my little-bitty town and he used to go to the downtown sports bar and just be an ass. The place was upstairs from a small restaurant and he and his buddies would get drunk and raise all kinds of hell playing pranks on folk leaving the restaurant. He was mean and arrogant and way too full of himself. A player through and through with the girls in town. I'm sure he's quieted down now, he's older and not much of a looker anymore - I'll bet he's feeling more mortal than he used to.

I'm not disparaging his baseball skills, they speak for themselves but as a person...meh.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Hmm. This is why I prefer to remain ignorant about famous people - it's always nicer to believe everyone is kind and classy at all times ;). Well, one would hope that whatever mistakes he's made, he's learned from.

But if you hear anything bad about Martin Prado, don't tell me. That would be depressing.

In non-Braves news, this is nice. It's obviously being done mostly (entirely?) for publicity, but it's still nice. Can't believe I'm saying that about something involving Jeffrey Loria.

4. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

If I ever hear anything bad about Edgar Martinez, I think I'll lose the will to live since my faith in humanity will have been completely destroyed.

If anybody has heard anything bad about him, please don't tell me. I prefer to live in ignorance.

5. milanessa

I promise. ;)

6. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

We were at a reception when the Tigers were playing in the World Series. We kept sneaking into another reception where they had a tv and reporting back to ours what the scores was. :lol:

Keeping my fingers crossed for my Tigers. They've found ways all season to give things away - hopefully they can hang on to their lead, since wild card is out of the questions AFAIK.

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

They would be about 4 games back in the Wild Card standings.

I was kinda hoping for the White Sox to take the division. I met Robin Ventura back in the 80s and he seemed really cool. Now milanessa will come tell me he's an asshole. :p

8. milanessa

Rumor has it he kidnapped the Lindbergh baby. :p

9. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

HOMER FREAKING BAILEY THREW A NO HITTER TONIGHT!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I can't believe how insanely awesome this season has all ready been for my Reds and now they add their first no hitter in 24 years to this awesomeness!! This is insane. I'm so used to disappointment here in Cincy that I almost don't know how to act over all this stuff. I love having baseball to cheer for again at this time of year and I AM SO EXCITED FOR MY GUYS!! :cheer: :biggrinbo :rollin:

10. PrincessLeppard

But he was nice while doing so, right? ;)

11. milanessa

Definitely! :)

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Heather, you were the first person I thought of when I heard about the No Hitter. Watching your team try and keep a No Hitter going is tension filled enough, but w/the score your Reds had? Can't even imagine.

And talk about a perfect name for a ball player period!! :D

Well Gang...Here we go...Final few days of the Season and still so much up in the air too. Going to be fun to watch shake down. :D

13. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Haha, thanks! :D I totally agree about the tension and I'm kind of glad I wasn't home to watch it in real time because I think my nerves would have been totally shot by the seventh inning, LOL :rofl:

I can't believe that NONE of the AL post season spots have been clinched yet! I'm hoping the Orioles get one of those spots locked up soon. They've had such a great year! Dang, the AL is going to be one heck of a race in every single division this week! :yikes:

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

They did, the Angels lost tonight. Woohoo! :cheer2:

I think the Yankees and Rangers have also clinched. According to some website (ESPN?) that had if-the-season-ended-today playoff scenarios, if the Orioles and Yankees tied, the Orioles would win the division. I know the teams split the season series 9-9, I guess the second tiebreaker is record within the division?

15. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

As an Angels fan, I had the opposite reaction. :wuzrobbed

16. Debbie S

Sorry. It's been 15 years since the Orioles made the playoffs (heck, it's been that long since they had a winning season), so you'll have to excuse our :biggrinbo

17. Norlite

Norlite New Member

The :cheer: are well deserved. Good on them. I hope they win it all this year.

(Always had a soft spot for the Orioles)

18. PrincessLeppard

The Orioles have some pretty boys. Not CJ Wilson pretty (the main reason I want the Angels in the post-season :grope: ), so I would be fine with an Orioles/Giants World Series.

With the Giants winning on my birthday. As I have previously stated. ;)

19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Congrats to the Nats! :) I have to root for my former Expos even if it's bittersweet. Especially with Philly out of it this season.

20. PrincessLeppard

Well, the American league wrapped up everything last night.

Only second wild card in NL to be decided. :)

21. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I seem to be on a pretty good streak. In my first full baseball season in Houston back in 2005 (moved there in Aug '04), they made it to the World Series. Then in my first full baseball season in Chicago in 2007 (moved there in Jan '07), the Cubs made it to the post season. Now in my first full season in DC (moved here in Apr '11, so I wasn't technically here for all of last season), the Nats are in the post season.

Maybe my next move should be to Seattle. I sort of root for them and they haven't been to the post season in over a decade. ;)

The crazy thing about this season is that my childhood favorites, the Reds & Tigers, are also in the post season!

22. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

:wuzrobbed My Angels were eliminated.

I guess I'll have to root for Oakland. I don't have any particular love for them, but I don't really care about any of the other teams either, so might as well root for an AL west team.

I suppose I can still hope that Trout gets the MVP. Cabrera can hit, but his sub par defense should prevent him from actually winning the award.

23. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Yay Tigers! :cheer2: (Wow, Chicago White Sox sure did blow that one...)

24. PrincessLeppard

So it's down the Dodgers and the Cardinals for the second wild card spot. I don't like either of those teams, but I dislike the Dodgers more. So....go Cards?

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

NAAAAAAATS! Well, they limped into it, but they are NL East Champs. Now I hope they are playing better by this weekend. I hate this starting away thing, but at least I get to go to a playoff game next week!

26. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Starting away? Cincy and the Nats are guaranteed to have the top 2 records in the NL, meaning they'll both have home field advantage for their respective NLDS match-ups, won't they?

27. PrincessLeppard

First two games are at the 3/4 seeds' parks, last three at 1/2 seeds' parks. Next year, they return to 2-2-1

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They added the wild card game, but the TV schedules were set so the wild card takes up the travel day. So no time for 2-2-1.

29. Debbie S

Damn Yankees! I really don't want the Orioles to play a wild card game against Oakland. They didn't do so well playing them a few weeks ago, IIRC.

Are the division seeds (for the DS) determined by record or is the wild card team automatically the 4th seed?

30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be Mark Ellis tonight. :yikes:
    Dodgers were behind by one in the 7th, he had a great hit, reached second and tried to extend to third. Didn't work out too well. Then the very next batter managed to triple but was left on base. Baseball sure is cruel sometimes...