Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

And Davey wins MOY as expected. Great year for the Nats!

2. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

The Tigers just signed Torii Hunter. Two years, $26 million, per a bunch of important people on twitter. :cheer2:

3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Wow...Both Ontario teams, adopted and actual, have been busy the last 24 hrs...

Still waiting for confirmation on the big deal between the Jays and Marlins, but it sounds like it's only a matter of time.

4. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'll miss Torii, but there was just no room for him left on the team. Gary Matthews Jr. Mark II (aka Vernon Wells) is still commanding way too much money for being basically useless. Gods, I hope Dipoto can figure out a way to unload him.

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

RA Dickey and some guy in the AL (Price?) were awarded the Cy Young awards. :)

6. AragornElessar

7. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Confirmed? It is by now. With that the Marlins FO and the owner, Jeffrey Loria, are confirmed as the most incompetent jackasses in the history of MLB. This was the same man that killed MLB in Montreal and is now doing the same thing in Miami. They averaged over 24K per game last season. They will not get close to that figure in 2013. We've grown a bit tired of his fall house cleanings to lower his payroll.

Good, I guess. That makes that many more people that may travel north to Ft Lauderdale to watch the Strikers.....;)

NJL

8. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Bud Selig "still reviewing" the deal according to the Toronto Star. But honestly, Jeffrey Loria holds better sales than Wal-Mart. :rolleyes:

9. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Not if you are any sort of fan of his team. To say folks here are irate is to understate badly. They want Loria out of town and out of baseball....NOW! Sadly, he's to stupid to understand why.

NJL

10. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I empathize .. I lived in Montreal when he did the same thing to the Expos (but at least we hadn't bought him a stadium!)

11. PrincessLeppard

Buster is MVP! :cheer2: :encore: :cheer:

12. galaxygirl

And so is Miggy! :cheer2:

13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Trout wuz robbed!

He actually has good defense to go along with his good offense. :D

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

In Cabrerra's defense, he was moved from his position at first to third, an arguably difficult position, to make room for Fielder. In that context, he handled himself defensively very well. Trout played in his usual position all year, and didn't have the same success at bat as Cabrerra. No slam on Trout - he had a great season and deserves his Rookie of the Year. It's just that you have to look at the defense in context.

15. galaxygirl

Trout actually played all three outfield positions this year. Granted, there's not as much difference in playing them as there is between 1st and 3rd, but there still are differences. Also, Trout is a much better baserunner.

Even though I would have given it to Trout because I think he's a more well-rounded player, I have no problem with Miggy winning. I do have a problem with the margin of victory though. I think it should have been much, much closer.

*Trout only played a few games in right. He doesn't have much of an arm.

16. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I figured it would be a blowout for Cabrera. I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but considering Trout plays for a west coast team and already won RoY, I just knew he wasn't gonna get equal consideration for MVP. If Trout was a Yankee or Red Sock, it would've been really close.

And I fear Weaver will never win the Cy Young no matter go good he does. I'm not claiming he was robbed this year or anything, it's just a feeling I have in general.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  17. galaxygirl

18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

If Bud Selig ever wants to come to Canada, he'd better OK that deal or he's going to have some 'splaining to do! Just cause he feels sorry for one team (that is American based and not one of those "power" teams like Boston or the Yankees) doesn't mean he has to veto it and say "hey small market teams, don't bother trying to get better cause I'll stick it to ya".

19. PrincessLeppard

Melky Cabrera signs at 2 year, $16 million contract with the Blue Jays.

Interesting.

20. professordeb

Yeah, the Blue Jays are spending $$$
    Who'd have thought.
    Still waiting to hear about the mega trade from two (three?) days ago with the Marlins. What's the hold up. I'm not impressed the commish says he feels bad for the Marlins -- that sounds like he's using some of that as part of his basis to perhaps deny it?

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm sure he'll be a great role model for Yunel Escobar :rolleyes:

I wonder if without the PEDs he'll revert to Atlanta form. If so (((Blue Jays fans))).

22. professordeb

Yunel is part of the 12 player trade the Jays did earlier in the week (and that we are still waiting for approval by the commish) and is supposed to be headed to the Marlins. I would hope "someone" can explain to him what is and isn't appropriate to write on yourself.

23. AragornElessar

The Mega Trade between the Jays and the Marlins is now Official!!

And Deb...Selig's only doing his job as the Commissioner to make sure everything about this was on the up and up. It wouldn't look too good for either team or the game itself if something fishy had gone into the making of the deal. I give him credit for that.

I feel so badly for the Marlin fans. The Team has been for all intents and purposes razed to the ground and combine that w/how your new ball park was financed...I don't blame any Marlin fan for being beyond incensed over this. If the shoe was on the other foot and the Jays had pulled this on us, I'd feel exactly the same way.

24. professordeb

I feel bad for Marlin fans too but that doesn't mean I expect the commish of baseball to commiserate with them in their suffering. That is one of the things that really ticked me off. I mean really? Would he have said such a thing if the trade had been in reverse? I somehow doubt it. It makes him look biased.

I also don't get why it took him 6, yeah SIX freaking days to come to such a decision. It sure didn't take him that long with the Dodgers trade. Doubt it would have taken 6 days if the teams trading with the Marlins were say ... the Yankees. I just find it very strange.

Oh well, don't care about that now. Deal is done and the lineup that people are suggesting might happen looks awesome. Next up ... a manager who can actually manage the players IN the dressing room and ON the field.

Go Jays!

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Selig cares a lot more about the owners than he does about the game, the fans, or the players. Seeing as he was once involved in ownership himself, he never should have taken the job in the first place because of that conflict of interest.

And letting Jeffrey Loria get away with this same sort of crap twice? Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.

26. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I have a real, honest to goodness Justin Verlander autographed baseball! :cheer2: :cheer2:

(It's not really mine. I got it for an auction for a fundraiser for my son's senior class at the high school - the Tigers donated it to us. The auction is December 13th. But until then......)

I have a baseball signed by Justin Verlander! :D

27. PrincessLeppard

How much did it sell for?

The Giants released Brian Wilson.

:fragile:

28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, technically they non-tendered him, and I'm sure they'd love to have him back - just not at arbitration cost, and probably not with a contract he'd like much. But maybe there won't be enough interest and he'll have to compromise?

The Braves non-tendered Jair Jurrjens. Hard to believe this is the same guy who was an all-star with a great record a year and a half ago.

29. PrincessLeppard

I know the details. I even actually agree with the Giants (low base salary plus incentives). It just sucks.

30. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Evidently there has been some acrimony between Wilson and the team. Brian is saying he's a proven player who's given everything to the team, including having two Tommy John surgeries. And the team is saying that those two surgeries make a big contract a gamble. And add in that Wilson's comback is going very slowly, and one can understand the team's reluctance to commit to the kind of contract he wants. Interesting is that the idea of his signing with the Dodgers has come up, sort of a ploy to get the fans on his side. But there is likely a team or two that will give him what he wants. Which is a shame, he's a Giant and he should stay a Giant. :hat1: