Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Some of us are really just set in our ways. Baseball is an east coast game and football is a northern game. The Arizona Cardinals? Really? :lol:

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Has Joe Buck been run out of San Francisco yet? He called the 49ers game, they lost; then he sped across town and called the Giants game, and they lost.

:lynch: Joe Buck.

I'm wearing my Giants tights today. :)

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I know plenty of southerners who would disagree with this statement. Football is practically a religion in Texas and Oklahoma.

I think of baseball as an east cost :bribe:game, because those tend to be the areas where the player budgets are astronomical.

4. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Currently #1 is 'Bama & #2 is Florida. The very southern SEC seems to rule right now.

NJL

5. milanessa

That's college/high school ball - I was talking the NFL, should have been more specific.

6. PrincessLeppard

You people take your football talk elsewhere. :drama: I keep coming in here and it's more football. :drama: :drama:

7. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Go Cards! :saint:

8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm going back and forth on who I'd want the Tigers to play if they win the pennant.

The Giants would be good because PL is a huge fan, and I'd be happy for her if they were. However, we'd be stuck with West Coast starting times, and that really sucks for us.

St Louis would be good because we owe them for 2006, however than PL will be :fragile: and that would be no fun.

9. PrincessLeppard

I know. It's fine during the summer, but once school starts? It's hard to stay up that late. :yawn:

It's okay. It's just baseball. If the Reds had beat the Giants, I'd be screaming for them to crush the Cardinals. It's all good. :p

10. milanessa

:p

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Aren't World Series first pitch times fixed, regardless of who the teams are?

As for STL, I said earlier the second wild card was a bad idea, and clearly I was right - because now we'll all be stuck with St. Louis again.

12. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I haven't been this excited about baseball for a while. Somehow the Tigers have become my favorite team. I don't know why; I've never been to Michigan. Maybe it's because their colors are the Broncos colors. :)

No cable though so I haven't been able to watch any of the playoffs. :(

13. purple skates

I don't know. I do know that I didn't see much of the last three games of the Oakland series because they started too late. The games were ending around midnight here.

It's a really good organization, too. The family that owns the team (the Illitch family) is very into the city. They've done so much good in trying to revitalize it.

They also own the Detroit Red Wings, and Little Caesars Pizza. The latter is very very involved in youth hockey, which is huge in Detroit. My son played for teams in the LCAHL for six years.

14. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Why is the ALCS on TBS but the NLCS is on FOX? I don't get TBS and I don't want to watch the stinking NLCS. :mad:

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

AFAIK World Series games are supposed to start around 8 pm Eastern - it has to be a network scheduling thing, most of the LCS games are 8 pm, too. They may take longer to play, though, with all the ceremonies and strategic stuff going on and whatever. The division series are another matter.

Anyway, now you can cheer for the Giants without being concerned about starting times, if you're so inclined ;) And I just realized - since the Giants players had a large role in winning the ASG (not just Melky), they deserve the home field advantage more than the Cardinals.

16. purple skates

:)

Thanks for the info.

17. PrincessLeppard

Exactly. Panda was pretty awesome in that game, too, as well as Cain and Posey. :)

18. PrincessLeppard

So when I can't watch the game and have to listen surreptitiously on my iPhone, the Giants win.

I will just have to live with this. Go Giants! And I hope Marco Scutaro is okay. I haven't seen the play yet with Matt Holliday. Do I want to?

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Exactly!! While I despise the Yankees, I do have great respect for Jeter both on and off the field. Glad it's only a broken ankle and not the Achilles rupture I was calling last night. At his age, it would be far harder coming back from an Achilles rupture.

If it's the TBS guys, then yes, they're pretty bad US bias wise. The MLB Intl guys OTOH are pretty good about not falling into that trap IMO. Last night Sportsnet was having fits w/the MLB Intl feed that we ended up w/the TBS feed more often than not. :(

Like my Dad and his best friend. He told me last night even if they weren't playing the Yankees, he'd still be cheering on the Tigers. :D

What the Illitchs have done for Detroit and the franchises they own is really incredable. They deserve every single accolade they get. Truly they're one of "the good guys" in Major Sports Franchise Ownership. :)

No, you don't. As Gregg Zaun said, it started out as a clean slide into second that ended up as a nasty dirty play. While he doesn't believe it to be intentional, he still said it was pretty nasty. Which is is. Hope our former Blue Jay's okay. :(

20. PrincessLeppard

I saw the replay on Baseball Tonight last night. It looked pretty deliberate to me, and it isn't the first time Holliday's done that - earlier this year, he went out of the baseline to take down Starlin Castro.

Of course, Curt Schilling advocated for Holliday to be knocked down by Ryan Vogelsong :rolleyes: , but I'm glad the Giants kept it classy. Besides, Scutaro getting a hit and then Holliday misplaying it was poetic justice. :)

21. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

AE-the bias I was speaking about in commentating was while watching the Tigers vs. the Yankees -- both teams that are based in U.S. cities. It was very clear, to me at least, that those two were all about the Yankees. When NY was up to bat, it was mostly all about their offense; when NY was out in the field it was mostly all about their defense and inbetween the top & bottom of innings it still seemed to be about the Yankees this, that and whatnot. Considering I don't like the Yankees to begin with, it certainly didn't make watching the game any easier. Tonight I think I will mute the TV and turn on the radio if those two boneheads are back doing commentary again.

22. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

You are banned from attending Giants' games for the remainder of their series against the Cardinals. It's important the Giants win this series, so I don't want you anywhere nearby. ;)

23. PrincessLeppard

:p

Text conversation with my sister last night:

Me: They're up by six. Can I turn it on now.
    Her: I suppose.
    Me: Posey just struck out.
    Her: TURN IT OFF!

24. professordeb

And the Tigers hold on for another win inspite of the Yankees threatening to come back in the 9th inning again.

Talking heads on Sportsnet after the game was kinda interesting. When asked by the "host" if the Yankees showed enough of a spark in the 9th inning to indicate they might have something left in the tank (so to speak, and I am paraphrasing) -- one of the guys said he thought they did. Zahn, being the voice of truth, said they are done. HA! Gotta love a guy who speaks his mind. Hoping he's right.

Go Tigers!!! Git R Done!

25. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

:encore: :encore: :encore:

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Rain delays over yet? Go Giants!

27. purple skates

Nope for the Tigers. It's sounding like they will call it, if the announcers can be believed.

28. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

WAHHHH, Yankees SUCK. Boooo! I have one team left... GO GIANTS!!

29. professordeb

Went to MLB web site and the game in Detroit has been postponed until Thursday @ 4pm. Works out good for me, mostly, cause I have a Jr B hockey game to attend.

30. PrincessLeppard

The Giants need:

1. For Hunter Pence to start hitting with men in scoring position
    2. To stop hitting into double plays
    3. Quit putting Aubrey Huff in the game. I don't even understand why he's on the post-season roster.
    4. For Tim Lincecum to :kickass: tomorrow