Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Orioles tie the series in the 13th!!! :cheer2:

2. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

(((Heather)))

And so the Orioles live to play another day. But I'm worried about how they'll come back after tonight's marathon to play "this afternoon", as one commentator just put it. I think they used just about every one of their pitchers tonight. If only Johnson hadn't blown the save last night, we'd be going to the ALCS right now.

But considering that most 'experts' picked the Orioles to finish last in the division this season, it's pretty amazing that they are where they are now. So I'm proud of our guys. :)

3. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I know I said I would root for the Yankees just so Ichiro could get a ring but I just can't do it! :cheer2:

And Detroit's leading by 6 going into the bottom of the 8th! :cheer2:

4. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Heather, my condolences. :(

PL, Congratulations!!

Congratulations to the Tigers too!!

And Thank You Orioles!!! Now go out there tomorrow and pull this thing off!!

And what a finish in Washington!!

You know something, we've seen some incredable Baseball this first week *and* it's only the first week of the Playoffs too. :D

BTW, Mom and Dad watched upstairs and I caught the last half of an incredable NatGeo/PBS documentary on Fenway Park and the Centenary this year earlier tonight on PBS. If you get a chance to see it, do!! It was excellent!!

5. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Go Nats!! :cheer::cheer: Awesome game, so much energy in the stadium. Going again tonight!

WTH happened to the Reds? Three games at home at they lost them all, unbelievable. :confused:

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yipeeeeee for the Tigers! In spite of what I friend said about their bloated payroll for just 3 players, I just can't cheer against them. That being said, I wouldn't have been too upset if Oakland had won but happier for the outcome. That last game wasn't even close and to quote a hockey guy -- Verlander was a BEAST. Over 100 pitches, goes the distance AND gets a shutout. Well done, guys.

Now if only the Yankees were out, I'd be a truly happy camper :)

7. Debbie S

So would I. ;)

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Stupid Yankees.

Go Detroit! :cheer2:

9. Debbie S

^^ I'll second that. ;)

I'm proud of our guys. No one expected them to even contend for the playoffs, let alone tie the Yankees for most of the last 2 weeks of the season. And push the Yankees to 5 games in the ALDS and hold them to only a few runs each game. I think the pitching on this Orioles team was even better than the 96 and 97 teams (or maybe I have selective memory, lol) - at least now, middle relief isn't just a buzz word.

I think they've got a great nucleus of guys, just need a little more firepower. Markakis may have made a difference and I feel bad he didn't get a chance to play in the postseason, after he's been through so many losing seasons with the team. :(

I will confess that I didn't start paying a whole lot of attention to the Orioles until September, since we've had so many years where things looked optimistic at mid-season and then they spent August and September in a free fall. But next year, I plan to follow the team starting in April (taking a deep breath, lol) and I hope they can be back in the playoffs next year. A lot of these guys are young, so hopefully with a little more experience, they can take the next step (or two ;)).

Good luck to the rest of the teams still alive (except the Yankees :p). Go Tigers!

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Go Yankees! Suck it haters! :p

11. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Way to have a first inning, guys!

ETA: Pete Kozma, whoever he is, is very :swoon: Maybe the Nats could trade for him when the season is over. :shuffle:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  12. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

hehehehe!:lol::kickass:

13. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Uh oh...The Cards are starting to wake up...*worried*

Debbie, ITA w/all you said about your Orange Birds. :D Especially the youth part, as this taste of the Post Season can only give them that little bit of inspiration to do what they need to do in the Off Season to be ready for April 2013 and next Season. :)

So long as they don't get bit badly by the injury gremlins that is. For reference see : Blue Jays, Toronto, 2012 Major League Baseball Regular Season.

Joining the growing chorus...GO TIGERS!!!!

14. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I am remembering why I love skating. Win or lose, it's over in four and a half minutes.

This is nerve-wracking.

15. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I'm only watching the Nats game when they're batting. I change the channel while the Cardinals are batting because I don't like the stress.

16. PrincessLeppard

I spent much of the Giants/Reds game yesterday in the fetal position under my desk. I totally understand.

17. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I f&cking hate god damn mother f&cking baseball!

F&cking pathetic Nationals.

18. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I turned it off. If they win, great. If not, that's basically the end of baseball for me this season (though I'll root for the Giants and Tigers). 6-0 lead blown seriously??? :wall:

19. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Yup, 6-0 lead blown. They were up 7-5 in the 9th with 2 outs... just one out away from winning the game. Instead the Cardinals score 4 runs and now the Nats are losing 9-7.

Nationals pitching already seemed to be going downhill during September and now an absolutely epic collapse after being up 6-0.

20. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Wow. (((Nat fans)))

21. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Holy CRAP!!! Wow....

22. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I can't believe the Nationals were literally just one strike away twice in the 9th inning from winning this game and Storen couldn't close it out. But it's not just him, it's the entire contingent of Nationals pitchers today that kept giving up runs. I'm disgusted.

23. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

PL, your beloved Giants better beat the sh*t out of the Cardinals!

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And Expos fans across the world are :rofl:

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, that was about the worst possible outcome for the division series. I hate to jinx the one remaining team that I kind of approve of, but I'd really like to see the Giants :kickass: the rest of the way. Someone needs to get rid of the Cardinals for us all.

Oh, and Go Tigers.

He's the infield fly guy. He'd have to be a lot more :grope: to be forgiven for that.

26. PrincessLeppard

I hope so as well. I really wanted it to be Nationals/Giants, too, even though the Gianta usually forgot how to play against the Nats....

27. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

:wuzrobbed

I'm so glad I fell asleep before I could see the ninth inning. My poor daughter is devastated, now she really knows what it means to be a sports fan. :fragile:

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

:wuzrobbedThat was awful. I have no voice from cheering in the first part of the game. Then The stadium went silent. Epic choke. Storen should have had more of a lead anyway.

Go Giants (the team we should have been playing without this wild card BS).

Saved me a chunk of money I guess. :wuzrobbed

29. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Ugh I know. To watch it slip away like that was painful. Just one strike away! Twice! :wall: And there we were lamenting how we didn't have the foresight to get NLCS tickets when we had the chance. Sigh.

No one left to root for with the Nats :(, Orioles and Reds all out. I'm resorting to ABTY (Anyone But the Yankees). Or the Cards, for that matter.

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think if we did a poll, Detroit vs. San Francisco would be the most popular choice by far.