Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

There went the dinner I was going to buy you in February in Israel. :p

A Nats-A's World Series would be fine, though. Even better, a Nats-Orioles series. :swoon:

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Hey, you promised you have shallow loyalties, and it's not like I said I wanted the Yankees to beat the Nats :D

I want the A's, they're fun. The Orioles are more than welcome to play them in the ALCS, however. And I would like to have the Nats in the NLCS, since that would mean St. Louis goes home, not to mention I'd rather see the 98-win team advance.

From what I've seen, quite a few players (not for the Braves) have tweeted about how bad that call was. Obviously the errors and poor situational hitting got the Braves to that point, but seriously, it was awful.

3. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I'm hoping for either a Nats-Orioles, Reds-Tigers, or Giants-A's World Series. I want nothing involving the Yankees or Cardinals.

4. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I KNEW I should have paid better attention when my ex-husband explained the infield fly rule. However, from everything I've read, it was misapplied in this case anyway.

Bet on my Nats beating the Cardinals. Past that, I'm not sure.

5. Zemgirl

I suspect Sam Holbrook should have paid better attention, too :p

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I used to be an umpire. That was so NOT an infield fly. And I hate the Braves. But I thought it was cool that Chipper Jones said it didn't cost them the game; their sloppy play did.

Go Giants! I'm hoping to watch at least part of it. :)

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. mattiecat13

mattiecat13 Member

Why don't things like this go against the Cardinals???! I swear they get ALL the breaks and I see them enough as a Reds fan to be hotly annoyed about all of it. UGH. :wall:[/QUOTE]

I agree, Heather C. The Cardinals get all the breaks and I'm hoping the Nationals beat them. Right now I'm biting my nails for the Reds, waiting for the game to start.

8. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Yeah!

Good luck to your Reds! Maybe we'll play them in the World Series. ;) I don't expect the Orioles to get there, but you never know..... :)

9. Seregil

Seregil Active Member

I'm fairly new to baseball. What other breaks have the cardinals had?

10. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

The last time the Reds were in the World Series was 1990 so it's been 22 years for my guys (the last time they even won a playoff game was 1995! :yikes: ) so yes, they are WAY overdue for some post season glory! :cheer:

Playoff baseball is going to be the death of me though. My nerves were shot by the first inning tonight after Cueto came out of the game injured but MAD PROPS to all of my guys for coming up huge for their teammate. Mat Latos is a STUD and I am so proud of him for coming up big. They're now three outs away from their first playoff win since 1995! GO REDS!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer: :biggrinbo

11. PrincessLeppard

I didnt see any of the game. Which is probably fine. :shuffle:

12. Zemgirl

You should thank your friend for being so considerate with the scheduling of her wedding... ;)

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Stop mentioning Nats and World Series in the same sentence. No jinxing.
    Game 1 was a nail biter. But at least we will come home no worse than 1-1.

14. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

My heart can't handle the post season with my fave team. Ex: The Reds put two runs on the board a few innings ago and I completely burst into tears that they then a four run lead. :lol: Man, I forgot how much the post season just wrenches your heart both in good and bad ways and as excited as I am for my guys, I am also aware that it's still awfully early to get too over excited about anything. I think the sting of being swept and perfect game-d two years ago in the NLDS is still burning hot for me so every single game they get closer to overcoming that disappointment is SO amazing. I love this team!!! :cheer:

MORE RUNS!!! And there go the tears again....the post season is going to kill me, LMAO :rofl:

((((Orioles)))) :wuzrobbed They started off SO great but totally fell apart in the ninth inning. Get them tomorrow guys!!! :cheer:

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Heather, I was watching that 5-run inning and wondering if you were going to survive it :lol:

16. PrincessLeppard

So I didn't get to watch any of the Giants/Reds game yesterday, either, due to being on flight, but that was probably okay since the Giants apparently sent out their single A team.

Since I will actually be able to watch Tuesday, I'm hoping they remember how to play.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I know, it has been a long time since I have had my favorite team in the postseason. When the Senators left DC, I was pretty much a free agent till I moved to NY in 1979 and picked up the Mets. Then I moved back to DC in 1993 and adopted the Os alongside the Mets at the beginning of the 1996 season (when Davey Johnson showed up), but just as a casual fan. So Mets 1986 and 2000 and Os 1996-1997 were the last time I really cared about the playoffs. When Angelos dumped Johnson, I still went to games, but I don't like Angelos, so I never became an uber. Then the Nats came to DC in 2005 so I just had to go back to my original allegiance to the DC team (though it is still really hard to root against the Mets). I guess I could have been a Reds fan from 1993 to 1995 when Johnson was there, but I was in law school and didn't see much baseball at all except the occasional Os game when the Yankees came in (my husband is a Yankees fan).

It is so nail biting and really hard to make plans. Even when I know there will be a home game, I don't know what time it will be so I don't know when I will have to leave work. I had to block out my schedule for most of the month, but I am trying not to think too far ahead.

UGH 1 pm game on Wednesday!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I know a couple where the wife is a Mets fan and this husband loves the Yankees. She had a t-shirt printed that said
    (in very tiny letters) and underneath that
    in 2" letters. On the back it said
    in 4" letters. When he first saw it he thought she'd come over to the dark side. :lol:

She really wants a subway series some year so she can wear it to a game.

19. PrincessLeppard

I'm going to stop rooting for teams in the playoffs, because all the teams I like are sucking.

20. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

What's with all the falling apart in the playoffs? Orioles in the ninth + the Giants yesterday, now the Nats today. :( I've forgotten if the A's did so too.

ETA - And in the time I wrote that post, it was still the 8th and the Cards just scored their 12th run. :scream:

21. PrincessLeppard

Yeah, the A's fell apart as well.

22. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Total BS.:rolleyes::mad: Thursday's game better be at night! That's the one I have tix to, but was hoping to at least watch Wedsnesday's on TV.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I guess it will depend on whether Det/Oak and SF/CIN need a game 5 with a West coast friendly time.

24. PrincessLeppard

:wuzrobbed

I just got called into work. Please don't let this be the last Giants game of the season.

I plan to listen on my iPhone.

:sekret:

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Go Yankees! Sad that Rivera's injured though :(

26. PrincessLeppard

Giants! :encore:

And thanks to Brandon Phillips for hotdogging in the first inning and costing the Reds the win. ( erm, sorry Heather. Sort of. ;) )

27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Go Tigers!!!! Since I was a fan of theirs waaaaaaay back in my early days of liking baseball (read pre-Jays), I'm rooting for them to do well.

When it comes down to it, I'm cheering for anyone but the Yankees.

28. PrincessLeppard

The atmosphere in Oakland last night was electric, so I'm glad they got a win. :)

I'm hoping the Giants remember how to hit. I realize the pitching last night (for both teams) was amazing, but, you know, I can't take the agony. :p And it didn't help that stoopid announcer said the Reds haven't lost three straight at home all season. :fragile:

And I won't get to watch this game, either. It starts during school and should end during my HOA meeting. I need to make that meeting REALLY short....

29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Hopefully it's their last one of the year. ;)

30. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I am really beginning to hate the St. Louis Cardinals. Phillies last year, Nats this year. Rot in hell, you people from a really nondescript city that if it didn't have an arch nobody would know what it was.

:angryfire