Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I'm still grumpy at the Giants for ousting the Philly two years ago. And the crap I had to take from my SF-based boss about it, too.

By process of elimination....go, Detroit!
  2. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

All I know is I should have done like BelleBway and declared the season over once the Phillies failed to reach the post-season. :p Starts now anyway, but still hoping for Tigers vs Giants. Failing that my Dad's a Yankees fan and I still love NYC, so it's an easy root for them over the Cards.
  3. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

That's definitely what I want!
  4. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:drama: WELL! :drama:
  5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

6. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

I should have listened to myself and not bothered following the scores... :shuffle: The one good thing about the world series is I won't be around to watch it even if I wanted to.

Umm, how many days til spring training 2013...?
  7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I think my sentiments on the events of last night in Washington have been covered already by everyone else, but...Sigh.... :(

Go Giants in the NLCS!!

Speaking of the League Championship Series, now that we've gotten to them, up here in Canada will now have the games covered by MLB International straight through to the World Series. Sportsnet's been doing that for a few years now and they do a wonderful job of the games.

GO TIGERS!!!
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not everywhere in Canada.....
  9. PrincessLeppard

I hate the Yankees.
    Debbie S and (deleted member) like this.
  10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

No bonus for Valverde this year.
  11. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Way to stick it to Phillies fans, Ibanez. :wall:

And yeah, I couldn't stay away with the game this close after all. :slinkaway
  12. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Baseball is dead to me until next season. Every single series is unwatchable for me now so I don't care what happens in either series and I will not be watching the World Series at all. Ugh, what a lousy way for the season to end in so many ways. :blah: :scream: :yikes:
  13. milanessa

This game is killing me.

(((HeatherC)))
  14. milanessa

Not sure what happened to Jeter but it looked painful. :(
  15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Ouch. It seemed like an inconsequential fall but if it's season (hopefully not career!) ending, Ibanez is going to be regretting the homer after all. And they may not even win now that Detroit got two runs in. :eek: :(
  16. milanessa

Tigers win!!! :cheer:

Smyly's a good little closer. :)
  17. overedge

Hahahaha. Suck it, Yankees :EVILLE:
  18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

You have to take whatever small joys you can find :D

So it's an ankle fracture, and he's done for the year :( but at least it's not career ending.
  19. PrincessLeppard

This. I went to bed after the Yankees tied it, so it was nice to wake up and found the game had gone the right way after all.

And as much as I don't like Derek Jeter, I'm sorry he's out for the rest of the playoffs.
  20. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

The majority of the people here in Michigan hate the Yankees with every ounce of their being (myself included). However, most would say there are two exceptions: Jeter and Granderson. As musch as I am happy the Tigers were able to overcome Valverde's contined demise, I hate to see Jeter hurt. Besides being from Michigan, he seems like such a decent guy. Hope he recovers well.

Go Tigers!!
  21. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I agree, Lucy25. plus, you want to beat them at their best, not when they lose a star player. (Conversly, if you lose, you don't want to lose to them without their star player. :shuffle:)

I was at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra concert last night (side note, they played Bolero and I could see Torvill and Dean skating to it in my mind's eye :lol:), and at the very end of the concert the orchestra played Go Get 'Em Tigers and the audience sung the refrain. It was pretty fun. :lol:
  22. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. They don't play that enough. Kids nowadays would never recognize it.
  23. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Sad about Jeter :( Factor in no Jeter, no Rivera, and the majority of the team forgetting how to hit, it's not looking good at all :(
  24. PrincessLeppard

Okay, it's been a looooooong time since I've cheered for a team that made it this far (The Diamondbacks in 2001). I wasn't following baseball when the Giants won in 2010.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack. Does anyone have any nitro I can borrow?

;)
  25. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yipeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! Tigers take a two game lead heading back to Detroit. I am THRILLED. I will have to agree that there was a really bad call at 2nd base that went against the Yankees but considering what I have to listen to from the announcers, I'm not going to hold it against the umpire. I swear that the people announcing the games on Sportsnet are pro Yankee cause it seems that 80% of what they talk about revolves around the Yankees. Can I just say I would be out of my head happy should the Tigers remove the Yankees from post season play -- and the sooner the better. Then I wouldn't have to listen to such fawning from the announcers. At least when they break, I get to enjoy former Blue Jay catcher Gregg Zahn. That guy tells it like it is :)

BTW, I do feel sorry for Jeter. Sorry to hear that he was bad enough that he wasn't even allowed to go to the park for today's game, which might have inspired his team to play better.

PL -- sorry, can't help with the nitro. Mom's meds are at the home with her. May I suggest that you perhaps do something else with your hands while the game is going on -- like squeezing a stress ball perhaps? Just a thought.
  26. overedge

Ya think? :p
    The only team they are worse homers for is the Blue Jays. And thankfully that part of the season is over, at least.
  27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well I could understand about the BJ since it IS a Canadian channel and they are covering the only Canadian based team. However, when you have two teams that are both from the U.S. and the announcing is so very biased -- hmmm ... where's the barf icon?
  28. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

They're picking up the Fox feed .. those are American announcers. Personally, I turn the sound off and listen to the radio till the Sportsnet guys come on during the breaks.

Here in SW Ontario many of us were Tiger fans before the Jays ever came to be. GO TIGERS!!
  29. Seregil

Seregil New Member

Espn also favors the Yankees and other east coast teams to a lesser extent. It's like the rest of the league doesn't exist. The other teams barely get a mention.
  30. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

My ex-husband, a huge baseball nut, always ranted that the Yankees and the Red Sox got Games of the Week and, in the playoffs, the coveted evening games. Phillies, Nats, Mets and Orioles -- the other East Coast teams -- not nearly so much.

When I really followed baseball, every year a team like the A's or the Rangers or the Angels would make it into the playoffs and I realized that in a six month season I had never seen them play!
  31. milanessa

Some of us are really just set in our ways. Baseball is an east coast game and football is a northern game. The Arizona Cardinals? Really? :lol:
  32. PrincessLeppard

Has Joe Buck been run out of San Francisco yet? He called the 49ers game, they lost; then he sped across town and called the Giants game, and they lost.

:lynch: Joe Buck.

I'm wearing my Giants tights today. :)
  33. peibeck

I know plenty of southerners who would disagree with this statement. Football is practically a religion in Texas and Oklahoma.

I think of baseball as an east cost :bribe:game, because those tend to be the areas where the player budgets are astronomical.
  34. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Currently #1 is 'Bama & #2 is Florida. The very southern SEC seems to rule right now.

NJL
  35. milanessa

That's college/high school ball - I was talking the NFL, should have been more specific.
  36. PrincessLeppard

You people take your football talk elsewhere. :drama: I keep coming in here and it's more football. :drama: :drama:
  37. peibeck

38. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I'm going back and forth on who I'd want the Tigers to play if they win the pennant.

The Giants would be good because PL is a huge fan, and I'd be happy for her if they were. However, we'd be stuck with West Coast starting times, and that really sucks for us.

St Louis would be good because we owe them for 2006, however than PL will be :fragile: and that would be no fun.
  39. PrincessLeppard

I know. It's fine during the summer, but once school starts? It's hard to stay up that late. :yawn:

It's okay. It's just baseball. If the Reds had beat the Giants, I'd be screaming for them to crush the Cardinals. It's all good. :p
  40. milanessa

:p