Baseball 2012!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PrincessLeppard, Jan 7, 2012.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

To discuss before pitchers and catchers report: The extra wild-card team and the one-game playoff.

I don't like change in baseball, but I do now like the division series, and I'm sure I'll like the one game playoff if it benefits a team I like, and not, for example, the Yankees. ;)

2. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

BASEBALL!!!!! :cheer2: :biggrinbo :rollin: :cheer:

3. PrincessLeppard

Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in a month, kittens! :cheer2:

Anyone have tickets yet for any games? I'm going to see the Giants vs. the A's on May 19th and 20th. On the 20th, they are giving away a Brian Wilson garden gnome. I must own one....

4. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Go Cubs go! Go Cubs go! Hey Chicago whadd'ya say, the Cubs probably aren't gonna win today!

(Posted by a loving, dedicated fan)

5. HeatherC

The Reds officially signed Ryan Ludwick and Ryan Madsen this week to go along with their trades for SP Mat Latos (who's wife is freaking hilarious on Twitter :biggrinbo) and RP Sean Marshall. I adore Walt Jocketty for how he handles big deals and how stealth he was this year in getting all of these things done. SO EXCITED FOR MY BOYS THIS YEAR!! :cheer2:

I haven't bought any game tickets yet but I'm also right smack dab in the middle of finalizing everything for two cross country skating trips within three weeks of each other so obviously baseball hasn't been my highest priority this month, LOL :rofl: :lol:

6. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Last night on TSN, they were reporting that Gary Carter is not good at all. Not only has the original brain tumor not shrunken at all, but there's been two new smaller tumours discovered after his latest MRI's. He's also falling quite a bit due to the cancer affecting that area of the brain.

From all I've heard over the years, Gary's a really nice and great guy. What a shame and thoughts and prayers go out to him and his Family. :(

7. PrincessLeppard

The Giants signed one of my husbands, Tim Lincecum, to a massive two year deal. The money should offset the pain of losing a bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 games.....

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I share a 1/2 season of the Nats with a friend.

Nats signed Lidge to a one year contract.

9. AragornElessar

If things go as I'm guessing they will when I see my Foot Surgeon in a couple of weeks in Toronto, I might be able to get to a game this year at the Concrete Pizza Pocket.

Hey, got to turn Medical Appts/future even more foot surgery into some kind of fun. Right?

Yesterday in Toronto, the Jays held a "State of the Franchise" event.

CBC Sports ~ Jays close to regular playoff appearances: Beeston

While I would be thrilled to be watching my boys play Playoff Baseball again, not sure if it's that realistic. At least not the next couple of years.

I also hope I'm really wrong about that.

10. PrincessLeppard

I got spring training tickets! :cheer2:

It's going to be so awesome to stalk Brian Wilson and his beard see how the Giants are looking for the coming season. ;)

11. AragornElessar

12. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

The Marlins new bazillion dollar stadium nears completion in beautiful east Little Havana. Not enough on site parking, so it's back to parking in some homeowners yard (at a reasonable price...:rolleyes:...). The built in stores & such are empty. There's no quick way to get there. The new uniform is ugly.

But the season is about to start. Let the good times roll & the devil take the hindmost.

NJL

13. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

So do I! (I work for the Mets) :D Port St. Lucie, FL here I come! I so need a tan...

14. PrincessLeppard

Have fun at spring training, Jeff! When I stalked followed the Astros, I went to ST in Florida a couple times. :)

Neil, at least the Marlins have Logan Morrison. He's pretty funny on Twitter. I have no idea about his skills as a baseball player. :rofl:

Also, is it true The Franchise is going to follow the Marlins? I was hoping they'd follow the Giants again, but alas :wuzrobbed

15. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

It's going to be a Chicago Cubs/Detroit Tiger's world series!

16. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

When was the last time that happened?

17. AragornElessar

Well...Not anymore it's not... ;) :D

Have fun Jeff and please remember those of us here at FSU and drop us the odd tidbit here and there.

I said please!! :D

Any comments about that insane amount of money the Tigers threw at Prince Fielder? I actually heard that some of the Jays fans were mad we didn't go after him. I'm sorry, but really? Number one, after dishing out that money to just to win the bid to simply talk to that Japanese pitcher who went somewhere else, no way could we afford Prince. Number two, do we really want that prima donna in our Clubhouse? Hell, no!!

I feel sorry for you Tiger fans, as I don't see this being a good thing for your Team. I just don't.

18. HeatherC

The one thing that's going to prevent my usual post skating trip depression that happens after I get home from attending a competition is knowing that pitchers and catchers report for my Reds SIX DAYS after I get home from Colorado. WEEEEEE! I am SO READY for Reds baseball! Mom and I have tickets to this spring training exhibition type game between the Reds team and some of their top prospects in the minors that's happening two days before Opening Day. It should be pretty fun and hey, I get my first Joey fangirl fix early this year which is NEVER a bad thing. :swoon:

GO REDS!!! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

19. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

While I grew up in Ohio a Reds fan and I'll always have a soft spot for the Cubs since I used to live in Chicago, I'm really excited for the Nationals upcoming season. They've been improving over the last few seasons and finished one game under 500 last year. While it'll be exceedingly difficult to win the NL East this year due to the strength of Philly, I'm thinking the Nats actually have a legitimate shot at making their first post season appearance since moving to DC. I'm looking forward to catching some games this season. I don't particularly care for the NBA or MLS and tickets for the NHL and NFL are expensive, so MLB represents the one professional sport that's still reasonably affordable in this city!

20. AragornElessar

CBC Sports ~ Shoulder surgery sidelines Harden for 2012 season

Not good. I hate to say it, but it's looking more and more like his career's done. :(

edited to add...I meant to quote what Aaron said up there, but forgot until I'd posted. Anyway...

What you said about the Nationals being the one affordable sports team to attend a home game at in the Washington DC area Aaron? The same can be said about the Blue Jays too.

I can't speak for the ticket prices for Toronto FC, as I'm not that big a soccer fan, or for the Toronto Rock, as while I enjoy watching Lacrosse I never seem to be in Toronto when the NLL season is on. However, they play at the Air Canada Centre like the Leafs and the Raptors, so I'm guessing the ticket prices aren't that different to go to a Rock game, since they do have to pay the rent and whatever other fees to be able to use the building.

Meanwhile, the last time I was at a Jays game, I was able to get third row...I'd say about four or five seats to my right/the player's left, from Third Base. The grand total of that ticket? IIRC it was inbetween $25 and $30 and that was w/all of the taxes included.

Also had a really nice chat w/a drop dead gorgeous Toronto police officer while waiting for the worst of the crowd to leave the 'Dome. He thought I was hanging around to try and talk to one of the players, but then saw my white cane and realized I wasn't. :lol:

So it literally was a win/win kind of a night. :D

Even though I saw something that night I hope to never, ever, ever see again. We were playing the Rangers and Josh Hamilton was at bat. I didn't see the entire thing happen, as I was following the ball as it went into the outfield, but Josh lost control of his swing and ended up hitting the Home Base Ump so hard w/his bat, the Ump was knocked out. Seeing that poor man just laid out at Home Plate not moving...

As I said, never want to see that ever again. Thankfully, he was okay, but regardless was scarier than all get out.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  21. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

1908! Hey I'm a Cubs fan! I've waited this long. I figure they have 19 more years to go before I find another team!

22. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Gary Carter. :wuzrobbed: So young. My husband knew him when he was the manager of the minor league St Lucie Mets and I met him a couple of times. From the first time we met he never forgot my name even when I didn't see him for weeks - charismatic, kind and a champion ball player. RIP, Gary.

23. AragornElessar

I'm surprised he lasted this long after that last update the Family gave to the Public a couple of weeks ago. After I heard about it and that not only had the original tumour not responded to treatment, but that two others had been discovered on the latest scan, I knew Gary didn't have much longer w/his Family and friends. :(

I have never heard anything bad about Gary from either the Press or those who were lucky enough to have met him. From all accounts, he was one of the really good guys in Baseball.

Gone far too soon and will be greatly missed. May he rest in peace. :(

24. Civic

Civic New Member

Spring training has always been a harbinger of spring to me. I was a huge baseball fan while growing up in the 70s and throughout the 80s. Then I moved to a town that was a 3 hour drive from the nearest Major League ballpark. Sadly, I got out of the habit of following the game. Now that I'm, once again, living in a Major League city, I'm looking forward to this coming season. I plan on following the local team and attending a few games.

25. PrincessLeppard

I just got back into it last year! (the steroid crap chased me away....then I saw The Beard. :swoon: )

I hope there is lots of babbling in this thread...so much cool stuff happening this year, I hope. :)

26. HeatherC

Reds pitchers and catchers report tomorrow! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

27. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Phillies reported today. #winning :p

A friend and I got tix tonight to see them in Baltimore, and we're also hoping to go to a game in DC. I haven't been to either park, and I love road trips. :cheer: Also hope to see them at home at least once.

And if I'm lucky, I'll see a Japanese baseball game this spring, too. :)

28. PrincessLeppard

I believe two teams who are opening the season in Japan reported last week. :p

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Which I find absolutely amazing and is a sourse of unending amusement.

30. HeatherC

Snot. :p ;)

BTW-Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore is a gorgeous ballpark and I know you're going to have a blast there. Take some pictures there for me if you don't mind! :D

The Reds pitchers and catchers are working out as I type this and I cannot wait for all the news to start trickling out of Arizona. I just feel like this is going to be a special year for my guys and I cannot wait to go to my first game in April. WOO HOO BASEBALL!!! :cheer: