Barry Mittan RIP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aussie Willy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

So sad. Barry was always very kind to me and to others who approached him at comps. IIRC, we met at SA in Springfield, MA too many years ago. RIP, Barry.
  2. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this. I met Barry at one of the skating comps in Saint John many years back.
  3. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Very sad news. So many wonderful contributions to the sport. I still have some e-mails from earlier exchanges, RIP.
  4. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Such a sad news. When there were less resources online, his photo introduced me to many skaters and highlighted many competitions. I have learnt so much also just admiring what a skating photo should be. :(

RIP Barry Mittan.
  5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I was stunned to find this out, this morning. Barry was a great talent and a great friend. He will be missed. My sincere condolences to Jayne, his lovely wife. Anyone who would like to leave a message for her can do so on Barry's FB page.
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh no. I've seen his name on so many skating photos online it's even funny. Have enjoyed his website as well. So sorry to hear about this :(. Condolences to his loved ones.
  7. Nan

Nan Just me

RIP :(

The skating community has lost a talented photographer.
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a loss.
    The quality of his articles and photographs showed his respect and love for skating.
    He brought its' beauty to life, for all fortunate enough to know his work.
    RIP

Article with details:

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...photographer-Barry-Mittan-dies-from-car-crash
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Was very said to hear this news late last night. I met Barry when I was working as a volunteer at a competition, in the press room. This was back in the film age (way back) and I remember chatting every time he dropped off his film or picked up his prints. He was, bar none, the nicest guy who came through that room. He was a very talented photographer who will be missed.
  10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I didn't see this linked above in this thread, but here is an obituary from the Tallahassee paper.

This was sad and shocking news to read this morning. :( Condolences to his family and friends.

His skating photographs were such a contribution to the sport. He was able to capture so much of the beauty and passion of figure skating and he will be greatly missed.

About a decade ago, I bid (on rssif) on a large group of his photos of the Kween and was thrilled to have the winning bid. Over the years I've given some of them away, but treasure the ones that remain in my possession.

RIP, Mr. Mittan.
  11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Unlike some of the posters in this thread, I did not know Barry Mittan personally - but I've enjoyed his work over the years, and I know he'll be missed. Such a sad loss and so unexpected. My condolences to his loved ones.
  12. cruisin

Just an FYI, for those who may not have known. Barry also took amazing circus photos. He took photos for NYC Ballet when they were in residence up in Saratoga, NY. He also did landscape books with photos of his world travels. He was just finishing a book on Mexico. He had magnificent photos of his extensive gardens in Tallahassee. He loved animals, and had many, including exotic animals. He had wonderful stories, which he was generous to share with all. He didn't just take technically excellent photos of skaters/circus performers/dancers, he showed us who they were. He befriended his subjects, he cared about them. It showed in his work. It was from the heart.
  13. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this....such a loss for all of us who appreciated his work, and of course for his family most of all. :(
  14. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

This is really sad. He was waiting at the red light and got rear-ended. There was nothing he could have done. RIP Barry.
  15. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose New Member

I am truly saddened to hear of his passing, particularly in light of how it happened. My favorite photos of Kristi Yamaguchi in performance are ones that he took.
  16. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

what a shock. I remember having worked with him on an interview of Frederic Dambier, back in the days.
    RIP Barry :-((
  17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for your beautiful thoughts and remembrances, cruisin, and everyone.

My deepest condolences to Barry Mittan's wife Jayne, and to his family, friends, and many acquaintances. His legacy lives on in his work and in the inestimable kindness and caring he bestowed upon so many people.
  18. amyem

amyem New Member

I haven't logged on or even read FSU for years, my skating fandom has slightly dwindled but I just wanted to add to all the wonderful things said about Barry. I first met him in the 90s when the skating internet was a small crowd and he was everything everyone has said; kind, generous, caring. I think what really stands out is that he loved the skating for the skaters, it wasn't about pleasing the higher ups or promoting himself. He took gorgeous photos for the skaters and their fans. He gave me so many lovely photos when I mantained a fan web site and was always generous with his time to help me be a better photographer. A very sad day, figure skating has lost a special person,
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

20. cruisin

Yes, he did. It was all about love of the sport and caring for the skaters.
  21. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this.
  22. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

My condolences to Barry's family. He was not only a great photographer but a wonderful person.
  23. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I'm shocked. Condolences to Barry's family and friends. His legacy will live on in his outstanding work.
  24. Sk8Leigh

Sk8Leigh New Member

This all pretty much summarizes me. I think I met him at '96 SA in Springfield, MA, the first competition I went to. He'd always send me a ton of pictures of Todd Eldredge and Irina Slutskaya (and a few others) after every competition to put on my web pages for them. They're still there. I used to have a bunch of his pictures on my walls in college. And he was helpful with questions when I was new to skating photography. He was such a nice guy. I saw him often for a while, but I haven't seen him in ages, as I've mostly lost interest in skating. But this is such a shock, I'm so sad for him and his wife.
  25. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

How incredibly sad. My sympathies to all who knew and loved Barry. His photography was always inspiring and his photos among my very favorites!

O-
  26. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

How awful :( Very sad and shocking news. A great photographer and person.
  27. grimey

grimey bird is the word

Wow :( He was an amazing and gifted photographer. Back in the early 2000's I remember being such a huge fan of his skating photos.
  28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

29. cruisin

The other article states that the police said they could not find anything in the car that he struck. I don't understand this. Can whiplash be so severe, that it could cause fatal brain trauma?
  30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Your body/brain absorbs the collective force of all the cars that struck yours.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  31. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Not sure what caused his severe brain trauma, but his car was just not rear ended -- it was the third car of four involved in the crash, so his car was pushed into the car ahead, which may have compounded the force of the initial collision. Very sad. :(
  32. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I don't intend to be presumptuous during such a devastating time for those who knew and loved Barry Mittan. And obviously we're not doctors and we don't know the exact details of what happened. As you noted, cruisin, Mr. Mittan's wife Jayne is quoted in the Tallahassee Democrat article: "His only injury was to his head. But the police officers couldn’t find anything he struck (inside his vehicle)."

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...photographer-Barry-Mittan-dies-from-car-crash

There is literature suggesting that acute whiplash can cause severe damage to the brain in a car accident.

http://www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/whiplash_brain_injury.html

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthcare_services/nervous_system/injury/Pages/index.aspx
    Scroll down to "What causes bruising and internal damage to the brain"

In any case, the details of Mr. Mittan's extraordinary accomplishments, caring acts, and great enthusiasm for life and for figure skating are what matter most. May he rest in peace, and may his wonderful spirit and the cherished memories of those closest to him provide a measure of comfort during this difficult time.
  33. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Whiplash can cause a "couz contrez couz" (not sure of the spelling) injury of the brain. Basically, the brain is not firmly attached in our cranium, but has wiggle room; the impact pushes the head forward, where the brain itself will hit the inside front of the cranium, and then backwards, doing the same thing. So you have basically damaged two parts of your brain, and then swelling begins. A horrible, horrible thing, and as someone earlier said, not a thing he could have done to prevent it. Very sad and insensible loss, and my thoughts to his wife and family, as well as the friends he had worldwide. A loss of a very talented and generous man.
  34. Aussie Willy

Aftershocks - I was wondering if it might be something like that. Thanks.

I do know that you can get concussion from something such as falling heavily on your backside. It can have a ricochet effect from your butt to your brain. So you don't have to hit your head directly to suffer head injury.
  35. cruisin

Thank you Aftershocks and Kasey. I guess we just don't think of whiplash as being that devastating.

Just an aside, Barry's wife is a doctor. She is a plastic surgeon.
  36. Aussie Willy

Just spoke with someone here at work who used to work for the Transport Accident Commission. He said they had so many brain injury cases resulting from rear ending vehicle collisions. Particularly when larger vehicles were involved because of the force of impact.
  37. houston

houston Member

I spoke to Barry many times over the years at competitions and am very sad to learn of his death. He will live on through his photographs and the memories of his many friends. Deep condolences to his family from the Kerr family.
  38. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Barry while I was at FSU in the late 1990s and scanned some negatives for him at his home in exchange for use of his photos on a website. He was a very kind person, and explained all sorts of photography things to me while I was there. Whenever I take a skater's photo, I always get a secret thrill if it looks like one he would have done.

My condolences to his family
  39. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

My condolences to his family, too. So sad.... I remember him well, though I hadn't seen him in quite a long time.... R.I.P...
  40. EBASKoroleva

EBASKoroleva New Member

This is so sad. He took wonderful photographs. He will certainly be missed. :(