Barry Mittan RIP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aussie Willy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

What sad news to wake up to - had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and he supplied pictures freely for some sites I was involved in back in the day - rip :(

2. floskate

floskate Vacant

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. RIP :(

3. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed... I was under the impression he had stepped away from skating because of health issues, I am a bit shocked to find out that the cause of his death was a car accident, I guess it was his time... :(

I, like everybody else, at one point had tons of his photos on Pixieworld, it was very nice of him to help the skaters and the fans in that way. RIP

4. YoenNL

YoenNL Active Member

I am shattered by this news. Barry was always friendly to me at championships when I was judging there. He will be greatly missed. Does anyone know how and where the accident happened? Was it in Zagreb?

5. Carina

Carina Member

Very sad news :( RIP, Barry, we will not forget your fantastic photos.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

What horrible news! His pictures were always among my favorites. Thanks for sharing your personal skating related encounters with him. My condolences to his family & friends. RIP, Barry.

7. eliza61

eliza61 Active Member

Awful news, Barry became a facebook friend a few years ago after I emailed him asking advice about skating photography. I facebook chatted to him on the odd occasion, mainly to ask advice about photography and of course about skating. He was always more than happy to patiently share his wealth of knowledge with novices like me. RIP Barry, my condolences to his family and friends.

8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

How very sad, and what a loss of a talented man. :( RIP and thoughts to his family.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This was from the OzSkater Facebook page.

10. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

What a loss! Barry Mittan's were among my favorite skating photos over the years. My condolences to his family and many friends.

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

So sad. Barry was always very kind to me and to others who approached him at comps. IIRC, we met at SA in Springfield, MA too many years ago. RIP, Barry.

12. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this. I met Barry at one of the skating comps in Saint John many years back.

13. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Very sad news. So many wonderful contributions to the sport. I still have some e-mails from earlier exchanges, RIP.

14. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Such a sad news. When there were less resources online, his photo introduced me to many skaters and highlighted many competitions. I have learnt so much also just admiring what a skating photo should be. :(

RIP Barry Mittan.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I was stunned to find this out, this morning. Barry was a great talent and a great friend. He will be missed. My sincere condolences to Jayne, his lovely wife. Anyone who would like to leave a message for her can do so on Barry's FB page.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh no. I've seen his name on so many skating photos online it's even funny. Have enjoyed his website as well. So sorry to hear about this :(. Condolences to his loved ones.

17. Nan

Nan Just me

RIP :(

The skating community has lost a talented photographer.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a loss.
    The quality of his articles and photographs showed his respect and love for skating.
    He brought its' beauty to life, for all fortunate enough to know his work.
    RIP

Article with details:

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...photographer-Barry-Mittan-dies-from-car-crash

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  19. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Was very said to hear this news late last night. I met Barry when I was working as a volunteer at a competition, in the press room. This was back in the film age (way back) and I remember chatting every time he dropped off his film or picked up his prints. He was, bar none, the nicest guy who came through that room. He was a very talented photographer who will be missed.

20. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I didn't see this linked above in this thread, but here is an obituary from the Tallahassee paper.

This was sad and shocking news to read this morning. :( Condolences to his family and friends.

His skating photographs were such a contribution to the sport. He was able to capture so much of the beauty and passion of figure skating and he will be greatly missed.

About a decade ago, I bid (on rssif) on a large group of his photos of the Kween and was thrilled to have the winning bid. Over the years I've given some of them away, but treasure the ones that remain in my possession.

RIP, Mr. Mittan.

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Unlike some of the posters in this thread, I did not know Barry Mittan personally - but I've enjoyed his work over the years, and I know he'll be missed. Such a sad loss and so unexpected. My condolences to his loved ones.

22. cruisin

Just an FYI, for those who may not have known. Barry also took amazing circus photos. He took photos for NYC Ballet when they were in residence up in Saratoga, NY. He also did landscape books with photos of his world travels. He was just finishing a book on Mexico. He had magnificent photos of his extensive gardens in Tallahassee. He loved animals, and had many, including exotic animals. He had wonderful stories, which he was generous to share with all. He didn't just take technically excellent photos of skaters/circus performers/dancers, he showed us who they were. He befriended his subjects, he cared about them. It showed in his work. It was from the heart.

23. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this....such a loss for all of us who appreciated his work, and of course for his family most of all. :(

24. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

This is really sad. He was waiting at the red light and got rear-ended. There was nothing he could have done. RIP Barry.

25. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

I am truly saddened to hear of his passing, particularly in light of how it happened. My favorite photos of Kristi Yamaguchi in performance are ones that he took.

26. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

what a shock. I remember having worked with him on an interview of Frederic Dambier, back in the days.
    RIP Barry :-((

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for your beautiful thoughts and remembrances, cruisin, and everyone.

My deepest condolences to Barry Mittan's wife Jayne, and to his family, friends, and many acquaintances. His legacy lives on in his work and in the inestimable kindness and caring he bestowed upon so many people.

28. amyem

amyem New Member

I haven't logged on or even read FSU for years, my skating fandom has slightly dwindled but I just wanted to add to all the wonderful things said about Barry. I first met him in the 90s when the skating internet was a small crowd and he was everything everyone has said; kind, generous, caring. I think what really stands out is that he loved the skating for the skaters, it wasn't about pleasing the higher ups or promoting himself. He took gorgeous photos for the skaters and their fans. He gave me so many lovely photos when I mantained a fan web site and was always generous with his time to help me be a better photographer. A very sad day, figure skating has lost a special person,

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

30. cruisin

Yes, he did. It was all about love of the sport and caring for the skaters.