Barry Mittan RIP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aussie Willy, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This was posted on Facebook and thought I should share it on here. I haven't seen another thread about this. Very sad news.

Barry did a fabulous job of skating photos. I met him at the GWG in 2001 and he was a very nice and down to earth person. We were able to buy photos off him on the train travelling back into Brisbane city.

Sad loss to the skating world.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

:(

Mittan is the correct spelling of Barry's last name (I think it auto-corrected on you).

I'm very sorry to hear this news, but thanks for starting this thread.

His photography website: http://www.jbmittan.com/

3. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

So very sad to hear about Barry. He will be missed. Wow what a shock.

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That is very sad. Back in the days when there weren't that many skating photos available online, his were some of the first. I ended up doing a skating website for a school project while in college and emailed him explaining I was broke, but working on the website. I asked if he could send me one of skater's pictures for free. He ended up emailing all of them to me, and some from a previous event that wasn't even listed -which was very nice of him. RIP

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sorry about the spelling. The quote from Facebook I posted had his name spelt with an "e".

6. lulu

lulu New Member

Horrible news. My thoughts and prayers to his family & friends during this unimaginably difficult time. :(

7. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

It's so sad. I used to read his articles at skatetoday.com. I'm praying for his family.

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

How awful. His photographs of skaters were some of my very favorite ones, and he was generous in sharing them around. He'll be very missed. (I wonder if USFSA will do something to recognize his passing? I think they should.)

9. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

so sad :(

10. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I enjoyed his photos so much over the years. This is a sad loss.

11. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

So sad. :( His photos were always fantastic.

12. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

What a talented man. He was so very kind to Kulik's Krew when we were first getting a website started way, way back - we asked him for photos of Ilia to start our library and he gave us permission to use everything he had. I will not forget how quickly he said "of course, yes." Generosity like that doesn't come along every day. I pray for him and his family.

13. Clay

Clay Active Member

Sad news : we lost a great friend of skating. He loved the sport and sharing his photos. As others have said, he was very generous.

14. Sugar64

Sugar64 Member

What sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.
    He was the first photographer I ordered photos from and they were always so beautiful. I hope USFS will acknowledge his passing.

15. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Sad...:(

16. halffull

halffull Life is beautiful!

Very sad. RIP

17. kalamalka

kalamalka Member

This is really sad news. I chatted with Barry at almost every competition I've attended since 2000 or so - and he and my friend Rosaleen (who will be very sorry to hear this as well) got to know one another very well. So sorry for his family.

18. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of such a great man. His name will always be associated with figure skating photography in my mind.

19. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

So sad. I remember his photos, via the slowest AOL dialup connection possible, really helped to draw me into the sport in the mid to late 90s. Rest in peace.

20. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of Barry's death. He was one of the first people I met back in the 1990's at events. Such a wonderful person.

21. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Posted by Skate Canada on Facebook:

22. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Wow, I met him way back too. Like 1994. Horrible way to die. It was J. Barry Mittan, right? He basically owned the rights to every skating pic on the net. And he was a nice one. Just wanted every single one of his photos to have his name on it... My thoughts go out to his family, but really, they go out to Barry first and foremost. He was quite a legend way back when. He graced people with his talent and presence. Very sad news.

God, I'm going back 15 years, but didn't some skate mom at Sasha and Naomi's rink turn him in for photographing skaters? I think he stopped his passion for the perfect picture after that. I could be wrong, but Barry was always good with a story at Nationals. I think when some mother of a talentless daughter got no attention she turned him in to police.

RIP, and don't worry Doris is dead anyway.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  23. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Mr. Mittan was very nice to share all of his photos throughout the years.

24. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I did a double take just now when bringing up GSD for the first time tonight and saw this sad news. In the space of only a few months, we've lost two of the men who for many of us gave us the greatest skating pictures of the last, at least, 30 years.

Thank you for all of the wonderful pictures Sir. Rest in Peace. :(

25. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

from Facebook:
    [h=5]U.S. Figure Skating
    [/h][h=5]U.S. Figure Skating mourns the loss of longtime skating photographer Barry Mittan, who passed today. Our thoughts are with his family.
    [/h]

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I remember him well! I didn't recognize the name until someone pointed out the correct spelling and mentioned JB. May he RIP. I know I bought photos from him on a few occasions and I believe he was always generous about allowing me to use his photos on my websites way back in the day.

27. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

What a decent, classy guy he was. Thanks for sharing.

My heart and prayers go out to Mr. Mittan's loved ones and friends. His gifts will be sorely missed in the skating world. :(

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

His photographs were always excellent. I'm glad to hear all these stories about how generous he was with them too.

29. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Kind of shocked to read about what happened to him. :(

When I first saw news of his death on Twitter, I assumed it was a heart attack or cancer. Had no idea till I came here and saw the first post that he was in a bad car accident.

30. marysy

marysy Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( He had some of the most gorgeous G&G photos, and I too remember contacting him about photos a long time ago and receiving a very kind response. Rest in peace, and all the best wishes to his family.

Thanks Sylvia for posting the link to his website. Some of those photos bring to mind some of the first and best figure skating photos I had ever seen, back when the internet was still in its infancy. Wonder if it's still possible to still order his photos; if so, may just order one of those DVDs with all the photos of a particular skater that is advertised on the site.