Barcelona travel question (public transport)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Hedwig, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I am going to Barcelona soon and I have a question regarding public transport in Barcelona.

We will arrive at the airport at 11 p.m. and have to go to this address afterwards:
    Sancho de Ávila, 22, Sant Martí
    Barcelona, 08018

Is it possible at that time of day to go there with reasonable comfort (i.e. no changing 5 times) and in a reasonable time frame by public transport or would we need to take a taxi?

I haven't found a public transport site for Barcelona yet or at least nothing I could work with. :shuffle: so any help is greatly appreciated.

And if you have any other tips about what to see other than the obvious tourist sites - I am happy for any tips!

2. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

Right now I am at work and for some reason I have troubles with Barcelona subway web, so I cannot tell you about the exact time every option implies but at least I don´t think you would need a lot of changes.

The nearest subway gate to that adress is "Marina" (L1, red color in the subway map)

There are two ways to arrive to Barcelona town from the airport:

a) Taking a bus (this the option I chose last time I visited as my friends recommended it),the Aerobus from the terminal 1 or 2 (you can buy a ticket that would allow you to return to the airport into the following nine days), it goes to "Placa Catalunya" where you can take the Subway L1 and go directly to "Marina".

b) taking a train at the airport, then you will change to subway at the "sants Estació" (aka Barcelona Sants) gate from there you would need to do a line change going to "Espanya" (taking at Sants the L3, green color) that is the L1, going directly from there to "Marina".

I´ll try to learn about schedules and getting some links tonight when I can access to my computer.

3. Hedwig

This is great, thanks sweetsparky!
    The hotel we are staying at is called "Marina" so I guess it will be close to the subway station.
    It is a pity that you don't live in Barcelona. I would have loved to meet you again as I will not come to TEB this year. :(

4. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

I´d have loved to meet you again :) even more in such a nice city as Barcelona. This year I won´t attend TEB, but I hope to watch my first worlds! :inavoid: It would be great to meet again at Nice!

Ok, it seems links start working

Here is Barcelona Airport (El Prat) web, with good information about bus and train transport.

I would prefer to take Aerobus, it´s quite easy to take in the same airport, has good timetables and I don´t think at 11:00 you would find a lot of traffic, and it allows you to take direct subway line L1 or, if your luggage is especially heavy - I´m not sure how luggage friendly Placa Catalunya subway entries are -, you can always take a taxi from Placa Catalunya to your hotel, which I don´t think will be very expensive.

It won´t take more than ten minutes from Placa Catalunya to Marina by underground (the web is still off) and your hotel looks really close.

I´ll try to recollect some goods tips although I´m sure you will find a lot of places to visit and see, especially if it´s your first visit to Barcelona :)

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Just heard on the news that Bullfighting is now banned in Barcelona. They had the last fight this weekend.

6. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I was in Barcelona last Sept. Fun city.
    Gaudi - must see La Sagrada Familia - amazing to see a cathedral under construction, plus other Gaudi sites, La Pedrara, Parc Guell
    Picasso Museum - I read that true Picasso fans do not love it, but I am not a modern art lover, and never much for Picasso, but I really enjoyed this museum. Has work chronological, and his earlier work. I liked seeing the evolution of his style.
    Day trip to Montserrat - just gorgeous scenery.
    Las Ramblas, and side streets for shopping
    Churches - the cathedral is beautiful and another church, I think called Santa Maria del Mar ? - is great.
    Montjuic area - great views, and great museums (Joan Miro, and Catalan Museum).

7. Hedwig

Thanks a lot for all the tips!

It is good to know that a taxi from Placa Catalunya won't be too expensive because I think from my research that the underground might stop working about the time we probably arrive there. (what with waiting for our luggage to arrive after the flight and everything).
    So we probably take the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya and then a taxi (or the underground if it is still running)

Thanks also for the travel tips, smurfy. I heard of most of it before but it is good to hear from "real persons" that it is really worthwhile to visit. And I haven't heard the tip about Montserrat before - will look into that! :)

8. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Death in my soul! :fragile:

9. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Have a fun and safe trip! Perhaps a futbol game?

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I will be in Barcelona in November - already planning to see all the Gaudi sites (esp La Sagrada Familia) and a trip to the Dali museum...any and all suggestions welcome! :)

12. Hedwig

Mr Hedwig would love that. ;)
    He actually looked it up and there is Real Madrid against Espanol Barcelona but it is 120€ per ticket which is a bit much. Especially as he would have to go alone as I am not setting my foot in a soccer stadium if I don't have to. ;)

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the tip!

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The quote is very true - it is a grubby looking little place, and it gets completely jammed with people spilling out into the street. Very cheap champan and food and totally fun! A place where you can meet all kinds of people. I wish I were there right now!!