Barcelona hotel suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenya, May 30, 2012.

1. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I'm headed to Spain at the end of July and will be in Barcelona for three nights and am still looking for somewhere to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in a safe/good location? I reread some of the old Spain travel threads but didn't see many hotel recommendations for Barcelona - just Hotel Lloret.

Thanks in advance. :)

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I travelled to Barcelona alone, and found the prices of hotels to be high for what I needed (just a place to sleep for one person). I stayed at Residencia Campus del Mar - which is basically like a university residence. I can't remember if they have different styles of rooms, but for about $60, I had a private room with ensuite bathroom and a kitchenette (complete with food for breakfast). It was not glamourous but I felt safe and it was comfortable and quiet. The front desk was very nice and wifi was free. It was walking distance to the beach and to the subway, which easily connects you to anywhere.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's been several years now, but I stayed at the Hotel Taber, which is just around the corner from La Rambla. It's a decent, three-star hotel -- nothing special, but it will do.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

For my last night in Barcelona, I stayed at the Barcelo Sants hotel, because I had a very early flight, and the hotel is built on top of a major train station. The ride to the airport was only about 15 minutes. It's a business hotel, so more pragmatic than charming, but it has this funky space age theme that is hilariously awesome.

For the rest of my stay in the city, I was in a hotel just off La Ramble, but if I go to Barcelona again I would not stay in that area - the noise didn't bother me, I felt totally safe travelling alone, and certainly the location in relation to other parts of the city was very good, but it's just like being in the middle of spring break all the time.

6. Vagabond

:nopryde:

7. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I have a list, and my favorites. What is your budget? How many people? what exact dates? (Barcelona is usually sold out in July, as far as better hotels for reasonable prices).

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I second the Granvia. We stayed there almost a week, and I really liked it. Reasonably priced. Very convenient too.

9. Tinami Amori

I third the Granvia! (my number 1 choice for budget hotel in safe, nice, very central location - 2 blocks from the best Gaudi buildings, and the best pedestrian streets in town)!

Unless one reserves a room with a balcony…. On the top level. It is more than just a “balcony”, it is a whole patio…..

The smaller rooms which look inside the courtyard have a very “industrial view” – pipes and metal structures… :D.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  10. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

It's just going to be me and I'll be there from 31 July - 3 August. I would prefer to stay around 100 Euros/night, but I'm willing to look at options that cost more, too, given that it's high season.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. :)

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

We had a street view and a huge window that opened with a little juliet balcony so it was like sitting outside (no patio though). But there was a patio for all guests and several other nice sitting areas. And a huge bathroom!

12. Tinami Amori

The safest, tourist friendly area, where people walk around all day long and late into the night, with several pedestrian area (which is relatively safe for a woman traveling alone) is located in the following “rectangle”. You want to be in the area where there is a lot of people, you have easy access to bars, social places, restaurants, and can walk into your hotel just few blocks away at any time of day and night, especially night.

So here is the “rectangle” you want to be in:

North Side: not above more than 1 block from Ave. Diagonal
    South Side: not below more than 1 block down from P-za Catalunya/North end of Barrio Gotic (Gothic Quarters), where P-za Catalunuya becomes street Ronda de Sant Pere.
    West Side: Rambala de Catalunya (which becomes La Rumbala)
    East Side: after Passeig de Gracia (main street), next street Carrer de Pau Claris, which becomes towards the water Via Laeitana.

PLEASE NOTE: some hotel booking websites give your TOTAL PRICE for all nights, not per single night. So when you see “your booking is $ 450 USD” it means for 4 nights total, not a cost of single night.

Hotels in the specified “rectangle” under 130 Euro/per night.
    Rambla area/centre.

1st - HOTEL CONTINENTAL – BARCELONA
    Rooms available – run between 92 and 122 euro
    http://www.hotelcontinental.com/web/

2nd– NH Hotel Calderon Barcelona – 105 to 125 euro
    http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hote...marLACFUkaQgod4gyBWQ&oodc=6566&source=adwords

3rd – Hotel Praktik Barcelona – boutique hotel 95 to 125 euro.
    http://www.hotelpraktikrambla.com/

4th – HOTEL AVENIDA PALACE (Grand Vie avenue) – 4* Hotel, but promotional rate for your date – 108 Euro per night, single room.
    http://www.avenidapalace.com/en

Do read hotel-guest reviews for your self please (TripAdvisor, etc). You may have criteria which I did not consider.

Jenya and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions, Tinami, I'll look into them today. :)

14. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Bumping this up to say thanks again for the tips - I booked a room at the Hotel Granvia thanks to all of your great reviews.

I have a reservation in Madrid (I'll be there 27 - 31 July) but if anyone has any recommendations for hotels there, I would appreciate it - thanks in advance again. :)

15. Tinami Amori

Which hotel in Madrid? How many days will you stay in Madird? which dates?

The best located hotels are on a central street Gran Via. It's a noisy nasty street. There are "charming hotels" but they are not exactly in the centre. There are "short term appartments for rent" VERY close to P-za Mayor, but I need to know dates.

Give me ALL info about your stay in Madird, and what your intentions are... to sight see, to have romantic time with lover, to stay while tending some other business, a base to travel to Toledo and other day trips?

What's your fantasy and expectations from Madrid.... and BUDGET?

16. mila19

mila19 New Member

Yes Jenya, tell us about the fantasies you have with regards to Madrid :D
    Tinami, she's staying here which is where I stayed in once, 27-31 of July :)

17. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Actually, I changed my reservation and now I'm staying at Hotel Atlantico. :lol: http://www.hotelatlantico.es/es/home/ They had a great offer for 4 nights. :)

Tinami, I want to make sure that this is a good/safe location and easy for accessing the major sights. I do plan on taking a day trip to Toledo, but other than that I have no firm plans yet other than sightseeing in Madrid.

18. mila19

mila19 New Member

Oh I remember that building, j'adore the cupola ...there's a well stocked Zara under it :lol: and near there's Calle Fuencarral <3 shopping wise cause there's a Mango outlet lol. Did you get it with Trivago? It is very noisy though if the room faces the Gran Via.
    It's is very central btw. It's near Puerta del Sol, Calle Toledo where the nice espadrilles are and Plaza Mayor also near the Cibeles Palace. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Tinami (and anyone else), do you recommend Toledo or Sevilla for a daytrip from Madrid? I was planning on Toledo but mila is convincing me that Sevilla would be better. :D

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Seville is a wonderful city. A day trip is definitely do-able -- 2.5-3 hours each way on the fast train -- and it's a very walkable city, but there's a lot to take in: just off the top of my head, the Cathedral, the Moorish tower, Triana, the Bullring, the pedestrian shopping area.
    I've never been to Toledo, and don't know if you'd get more from a day there.

If you do get to the Cathedral, head to the back corner by the gift shop and follow it all the way back to the big meeting room: it's gorgeous.

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Mine was Hotel Lloret :

Hotel Lloret Ramblas
    Rambla de Canaletes, 125
    08002 Barcelona, Spain
    933 17 33 66
    hlloret.com&#8206;

The problem was the noise if your room is on the street. But my room was not on the street and it was just perfect. Not very expensive, perfect place, very nice.

22. Tinami Amori

:D.. you’re right… I did phrase my question rather oddly….

I saw the first hotel Jenya reserved. That was quite up-north from Gran Via… If Jenya is willing to stay that high up north, then I would like to make another recommendation. Much closer to Gran Via, but still long 5-6 blocks north. I stay at this hotel as my first choice (even when not on budget and more central hotels available).

Gran Hotel Conde Duque (rooms start at $ 80 USD, if available)
    http://www.granhotelcondeduque.com/

Fotos: http://www.granhotelcondeduque.com/fotos.htm)

They allow travelers with pets - good reason for me to support them, but not the only reason. The hotel itself is wonderful for the price.
    http://www.granhotelcondeduque.com/...el-madrid-sercotel-conde-duque-mascotas_1.jpg

“It’s in upscale residential area, faces a 4-sided court-yard, with benches, small square-park, dog-park, flower beds, old ladies coming out to chat and gossip, dog owners tip their hats as they pass each other, in summer time the park’s central fountain is turned on, and people gather around it… Safe charming “real life” neighborhood.

Metro is right there at the end of the block.
    Few fotos:
    http://www.jpmoser.com/images/granhotelcondeduque/p-granhotelcondeduque1.jpg
    (I don’t know why this says “classic Madrid”, because it is the front entrance into the hotel http://www.marbellas.com/wp-content/uploads/MAD-Marbelas-FHR1.jpg
    http://kotiweb.kotiportti.fi/~w418869/0102espanja/pics/05_madrid_conde_duque.jpg

Jenya’s 2nd hotel is RIGHT SMACK DAB in the middle of Gran Via! … Hotel Atlantico is not a bad choice..
    Location – proxim to attractions - 5*****
    Convenience – transport – 5*****
    Price vs. Quality - 4****
    Noise/Night & Day – 6***** (unless you ask for a room away from Gran Via AND AWAY from the elevators).

My mother stayed at that hotel. She loved the location and the fact that there are people around almost 24 hours, no dark alleys, empty streets. But she asked me to relocate her after 2 days. One side of the hotel was under construction and it made a difference, and her rooms was facing Gran Via, and she could not sleep. It was not a constant noise (she said), but occasional yells and shrieks every 20-30 minutes coming from herds of youngsters, and squeaks from the cars and buses.

There is a reason why such centrally located hotel, in such a beautiful elaborate building costs under $ 100 USD and has rooms available in the middle of Summer… :lol: And I am pretty sure its noise and flow of crowds at night… Other wise it is a great hotel!

Petit Palace Mayor Plaza**** - in the “old town section”.
    http://www.hthoteles.com/en/hotel-petit-palace-mayor-plaza-madrid/
    So I moved my mother to this 4**** hotel, right next to Plaza Mayor and 3 short blocks from Puerta Del Sol Plaza and Metro. I stayed there once with associates from Russia, and they were thrilled about the location and “old world charm” of the area. I checked prices for end of July/early August. It’s under 110 USD.

They even running several specials "early bookings", "3-night stay min rate", etc... all under 80 Euros per night.

I don’t know if this is my “problem” but I hate staying in ANY hotels on Gran Via…. Gran Via is basically a “Market Street” or “Broadway”….. it’s full of cheap shops, crowds in the day time, and noisy teenagers at night…… not to mention NOISE FROM TRAFFIC…

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Tinami, I am disappointed that your comments are not in Catalan.

24. Tinami Amori

Perdoni…
    :rolleyes::D
    Que parla catala? Si?... bon! Com es diu en catala “wise ass”?

25. Tinami Amori

For a day trip - 100% Toledo. Because a day trip is NOT enough to enjoy even 1/3 of Sevilla.

My suggestion is at least 1 night in Sevilla! What I mean is: take a morning train (there is a speed train now, gets there in ~2 hrs from Madrid). Drop your stuff off at the hotel. Sightsee. SPEND THE NIGHT IN SEVILLA - night Sevilla is SPECIAL! and then use the next day to sightsee. You need at least 1.5 days to see "the best of Sevilla". Then at night take a train back to Madrid...

26. Vagabond

Even taking a high-speed train, a day trip to Seville would be exhausting and probably wouldn't do the city justice. If you're looking for an alternative day trip from Madrid, you might consider going to Segovia, preferably combined with a stop at El Escorial.

Save Seville for another trip.

27. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

;) Una mica . . . No n'hi ha prou amb una llengua . . . torracollons :D

28. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for all of the advice, everyone - this will be my first time in Spain, so I really appreciate it. :)

I'm thinking I will save Sevilla for another trip - I only have 7 days in Spain before I head to Albania, so I think Madrid (+ day in Toledo) and Barcelona will be plenty.

All other tips and advice about Madrid and Barcelona are welcome. :D

29. mila19

mila19 New Member

I think I know what torracollons mean wheee I love learning to swear in as many languages as possible:kickass:

30. Tinami Amori

Neooo thank you! :D I don't use language like that in public for no reason.. :D I was thinking in line with "advenedizo"(SP) or "gra al cul"(CA)..:rofl: