Bank Worker Sacked For Being Too Sexy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SHARPIE, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Prancer

Prancer Torn Between Diverse Discourse Communities Staff Member

Yes, her accent doesn't sound at all odd.

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

That's not true.

Some styles of clothing will look bad in the proper size if they are designed for different body types. Not everything looks good on everybody, even if it's the right size.

And some styles of clothing will look tight (close fitting, "painted on") when they are the proper size because they are designed to do so. Whether those styles are appropriate professional attire is another question.

3. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Someone had mentioned that her way of speaking or accent or whatever reminded them of the way a deaf person sounds when they speak (someon like Marlee Matlin).

4. Prancer

Yes, someone did. And she has a rather atonal, poorly enunicated quality to her speaking that does sound something like the way a person with hearing loss speaks. That has nothing to do with an accent.

5. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Yeah, but she wanted to be "tits on a stick".

She's at the age where she's going to be considered "old" by her blue eyed trophy Ken dream husband. Now that she's infamous, she won't be able to lie about her age, either.

I feel more pity for her than anything else at this point.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am all for looking your best AND professional at work. And for the most part, IMO this woman does. I really like some of her outfits actually. She looks great. I was one of the first posters on this thread to say so.

However, some background information has emerged that makes me question her motivation. She sounds like an attention seeker (not just with her clothes, which would be fine) but with her publicity campaign. If she lands a Playboy shoot and her 15 minutes of fame, good for her but that appears to be the motive. Unfortunately, women like her give well-dressed professional women a bad name, a situation I complained about here.

ETA: Thanks, mpal2. :duh:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
    taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

You probably accidentally clicked on the icon below the post before submitting it. It's right above the preview post button and could be easy to select.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I understand: I was trying to explain to you that the thinking against high heels is that women in business believed that high heels on Wall Street mean you were dressing for a date.

The issue is not high heels objectively, although tall women who wore high heels of any kind were considered out of their minds, for other, sexist reasons, but the ones they noticed, which were the very high fancy heels. It's like the "I know how XYZ people always act" argument: it's only based on what one notices, and one assumes what is noticed is the whole picture.

Also, the whole argument is extremely insulting to secretaries/admins. "Secretary" is a catch-word for "No career, low salary female, not what we're trying to be". But I heard it over and over where I worked and where I went to school.

9. zowie

zowie New Member

Why not "breasts" on a stick?

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Because it doesn't rhyme?

11. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Because it sounds like an entree at your local Applebee's?

12. Prancer

I guess you'd have to ask her.

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Well, this secretary is one of only 2 people in the company I work for who is working a full 40-hour/week schedule, as opposed to everyone else who is only on 35 hours. That's because I am covering 3 positions: my original one that I started with back in 2002, the receptionist's who went out on sick leave a year ago May, and my boss's assistant in the Credit Dept. who quit at the end of April. I also run back-up/fill-in for Billing and Accounts Payable, so I have enough work to sustain me for a full 8 hours/day. I can do more tasks than the people I work with who have throwing a snit about it, people who only do one job for the company, and whose task list is a lot shorter than mine.

Albany Business Review ran an article recently about how companies who are keeping receptionists/admin. assists. on the payroll are broadening their roles within the workplace by giving them more tasks to perform. I am all for that, because it can only work to the employees' benefit. When/if they do decide to switch employers, they will have a much larger skill set than when they started out.

/off topic

Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  14. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I don't know, Zowie. Debralee specifically said she wanted to be "tits on a stick". Came out of her mouth, I simply quoted her.

15. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Those were Debralee's words, not leesaleesa's.

16. zowie

zowie New Member

So Prancer's a poet and I didn't know it?

17. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Well, "tits on a stick" isn't any more of a rhyme than "breasts on a stick.":lol:

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Dessert at Applebee's is "Sugar Tits on a Stick."

19. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Between gummy bear breast implants and tits on a stick, this thread is taking a seriously disturbing turn. :yikes:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Why are gummy bears implants disturbing vs. saline vs. the traditional silicone? Or are breast implants disturbing to you in general?

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's associating something cute and yummy like gummy bears with breast implants. :p

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That has never occurred to me. :lol: I find the description apt but then I am used to medical terms like peau d'orange.

23. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Exactly. My mind goes to weird places on Friday afternoons. :lol:

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

More like Debrahlee is a poet and you didn't know it. :p

To my ears it's a heck of a lot closer. YMMV.

25. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

'Hot' banker says sacking breached rights

:rolleyes:

New attorney too, I see.

26. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Sorry, double post.

27. Prancer

Gloria Allred, attorney to...pretty much anyone in the news. :scream:

28. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Does Gloria never want to be taken seriously again?? She must really need $ these days.

agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  29. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

Where I work we have a dress code and it specifically mentions items of clothing that may be deemed offensive by others. She did not dress in appropriate business attire and was released. She is making a big deal out of it for the same reason that she dressed inappropriately for work, attention. I remember when I first started working a 22 year old fresh out of college girl showed up to work wearing a transparent shirt that completely exposed her bra. She was promptly written up and sent home for day without pay. One of the males in our office mentioned that he kinda felt harassed by that. Which leads me to the next point, dressing provocatively in the office can be construed as sexual harassment in some cases. She very well could have violated someone else’s rights with her actions.

30. taf2002

taf2002 If it walks like a duck.....

Where I worked the entry level office position was Office Clerk with designations like clerk I, clerk II, etc. The title Secretary was a much higher position & was considered management & usually had some direct reports, such as the clerks. These people usually wore power suits or cami/skirt with jacket AND high heels. Most of them went on to higher positions.