Bank Worker Sacked For Being Too Sexy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by SHARPIE, Jun 5, 2010.

1. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/bank-worker-sacked-for-being-too-sexy-460239.html#ixzz0pnJIWWH2

I especially like this bit:

Poor male managers! :rofl:

Here she is:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/too_hot_for_citibank_QzCQ7F1GFGdjX8dWoEa8KI?photo_num=1

Well, she's very attractive, hope she takes them to the cleaners. Maybe there's another side to it though.
  2. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Um.. is that an example of something she wore? Because she's got a very different definition of "business attire" than I do :lol:
  3. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

That depends on what profession you are talking about! :lol: She does look like a certain kind of "professional" :eek: :scream:
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Nice nip action there :rofl: - if she buttoned the blouse on top of the white leotard it would be fine though.

The 3rd outfit was nice, the last one looked more like party attire than work, but it looked very nice on her, but the first 2 photos? As one overly-endowed woman to another (even though I'm guessing she paid for hers), it is a bummer when others get to wear things that we don't, but different body shapes do make an impact. I have coworkers who can wear Camisole tops with spaghetti straps to the office, and it does not look inappropriate. I can't.

it doesn't really matter though - if her boss was idiotic enough to say she can't wear high heels, or that her coworkers could wear sexy clothes because they aren't attractive, she probably has a case.
  5. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

The last outfit is a bit OTT for an office, but the rest of them seem fine to me :shuffle:
  6. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I agree that other than her nipples showing through and that one outfit with pink top and deep cleavage, she looks fine. The latter is great for a night out. She just needs to button up her jacket in the first few pictures. I love the pencil skirts and the grey top one as well as the black dress. She looks great.

I could see them telling her to cover up the nipples but other than that the management appears to have been inappropriate.
    Hope she wins if what she says is true.

genevieve, I don't think spaghetti straps are appropriate in the office setting regardless of cup size. Not in my office, at least.
  8. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

The outfit with the grey top was the only one that I would say is appropriate to wear when working in a bank (I did work in a bank for 2 years and we had a definite dress code). The rest are either too tight (black dress and B&W outfit) or way too much cleavage showing (white skirt/rose & pink top).
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Now I can't get the "I'm too sexy" song out of my head. :wall:

Karina1974, I think if she buttoned up the white jacket, she'd be fine. The dress is fine too IMO but agree that the pink top with the white skirt is best saved for the night on the town. Cute top, btw.
  10. Karina1974

:lol::rofl:

Yeah, if those are examples of the type of outfits she wears to work, she needs a lesson on the fact that she is supposed to be promoting the bank's services, not her chest size. :scream::yikes:

I'm surprised they didn't explain to her during training what constitutes proper vs. improper/unprofessional attire. First thing we went over in teller training was the rules and regulations, and that included the dress code. I doubt that the bank I worked for would fire someone right off the bat, but the employee definitely would get a bad write-up during a job review.
  11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That white top is a good example of why bras are your friend.

And the silky pink top is a good example of why push-up bras with a low-cut top are not your friend. Unless your "profession" is something a little more, uh, customer-intensive than banking.
  12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Very true. I can wear fairly low cut things that would look downright hoochie on a well-endowed woman because I barely have boobs to speak of. It may not be fair, but hey, at least you girls have something to show off on nights out! ;)

That said, I think the 2nd and 3rd outfits were okay. Pink one WAY too cleavage-y and the first one....where's your bra, woman? :lol: There's a part of me that thinks she's doing this for the attention too. Just the way she carries herself.
  13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

If she wasn't dressing according to the company dress code, they should have instructed her to do so. . .though I don't know if not doing so would be grounds for firing, but it would at least make the company seem far more responsible.

The way the story is written it sounds like the issue was her attractiveness in the clothes she wore, not the clothes themselves. She indicates that other employees wore revealing clothes. In which case the company looks totally in the wrong and the poor men who were distracted by her look like idiots (yes, men can control themselves).

But it's also possible that she was fired for reasons of performance and is just stirring up a fuss, I suppose.
  14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

"I'm too sexy for this bank, too sexy for this bank ......"

Years ago someone I know won a big case against a bank that employed her because she was able to prove sexual discrimination. She was a manager amongst male colleagues and they really did treat her very badly with name calling and being spoken down to. Plus overlooked for promotions.
  15. Cupid

Cupid New Member

II thought the outfits looked fine, but are these what she really wore to work, or some of her more conservative ones? For all we know,she may have worn mini-skirts with hooker heels and tops lmore like the sheer white with no bra, or that pink evening top. :lol:

Where I worked at years ago, one of the well-endowed secretaries, even though she wore a bra, still had her headlights exposed. The manager called her into her office and suggested she put band-aids on them if her bras weren't hiding them. :eek:

Personallly, I think someone felt threatened or jealous by her good looks, and wanted her out of there. I read another article where they moved her to another department where her job then entailed all telephone work, for which she didn't have the experience. Then they declared her incompetent and fired her.

Hope she had things well documented.
  16. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

:lol: She needs to learn what conservative banking attire is, nipples al la mode is not!
  17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

According to her lawyer, they told her not to wear anything that was properly fitted, including properly tailored business suits and turtlenecks. I think the pink top is beside the point once that's been said to an employee.
  18. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes, I was quite skeptical of the whole idea, this part of the article really struck me:

If that is actually true, what on earth was she supposed to wear? I guess she was supposed to buy clothes a couple of sizes too big and wear those???
  19. woodstock

woodstock New Member

Marilyn Monroe wore turtlenecks in a few movies...and she was still considered the hottest thing around. This banker lady was covered up (for most of the pictures shown at least). She can't help that being fully clothed she looks curvier than say a b-cup/coltish/lanky/lean girl would in a similar outfit.

I had a general manager tell me once that a sleeveless turtleneck I wore was innapropriate...I pointed out the slender/less curvy/a cup coworker in the cami tank top (I'm pretty sure without bra)on the other side of the room and asked if he had spoken to her about the amount of skin she was showing on her chest. Needless to say he backed off. I was fully covered, and it was not skintight. Can't help how I filled it out. My direct supervisor (female) stood by my side when I told her the "GM (male) had called me on my turtleneck, and she was subordinate to him!

As a more well-endowed girl...I have to wear padded bras to hide the "cold" effect, although most of the heavy duty supportive box bras that fit better, are unpadded. :0( If I buy something the right size for my body, I will always look "busty". Sometimes I have bought larger, but then it flops around my middle and the sleeves need to be rolled up at the wrist. As for this lady not always having button tops buttoned, I actually have to buy x-large button shirts if I don't want them to pull apart/stress at the buttons on the chest. But then I look stupid because the shoulder seams are halfway down my arm. Granted, the pink top is pushing it (and she really should pad up the nipples for colder days), but overall her outfits looked fine. She was covered up.
  20. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I get the double standards issue, but I can think of many curvy women who succeed in dressing elegantly for work without being too sexy. The outfits in the pictures do look like they are designed to attract attention to the women's figure.

Sexiness is more an issue of attitude than of clothing though, so it's very difficult to say simply from an outfit if the woman was being procative in the workplace.... Judging by her attitude in the pics, she certainly knows how to be so.
  21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have a really hard time believing that her male coworkers were "complaining" about how hot she is. Seriously, straight men do that? I don't think so... I might believe their boss complained about how they were distracted but they did no complaining themselves, no way no how.
  22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think the answer probably lies behind door #2, especially when she alleges that other women wore the same thing (really? I know some men who'd want to work for Citibank, then!) and management's response was the other women were unattractive so they don't count. That is the kind of thing that comes out of a bitchy woman's mouth or a middle manager in a Lifetime movie script. Why do I have the feeling she won't be getting any supporting testimony (assuming it makes it to open court at all) from her FEMALE coworkers, either? I bet she's gambling on Citibank's recent negative publicity and figuring people will believe her over the eeeevil bankers. (Would be more convincing if you wore business attire instead of a see-through shirt with no bra, sweetie.)
  23. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

No, straight men do this. Not to me (damnit), but I have seen that situation before, in a business situation.

It's hard to be a female in business. If you're too attractive, you're deemed a distraction and can't get further ahead, because obviously, you got where you are based on looks, and by Jove, that will stop in mid-level management. If you're unattractive, you're deemed beneath notice and probably kind of slow. The only women that I've seen truly get ahead in most (not all, but most) situations are the ones that are kind of pretty in a non-threatening way.

I'm convinced it's why all female executives have either that same subtlely highlighted blonde bob or page boy or slightly-below the shoulders straight brown hairs and dress in ugly pants suits from mall department stores.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

This is interesting. I have attended a brunch not too long ago where a bunch of successful business women were present. And by successful I mean they were the primary bread winners of the family while the hubby stayed home. I see it happening quite a lot these days (and why not? Equal opportunity works both ways).

Anyway, the conversation touched on wearing high heels in the work place. One of the women rolled her eyes and said only secretaries do that. That struck me is sort of sexist. Basically women have to dress up as men to be perceived successful and noteworthy in business?

Then a few months later I ran into a female MBA student who is enrolled in one of the most prestigious programs in the country and who has met her share of Wall Street women.

She herself is extremely good looking and chic. And she assured me that Wall Street women are very tiffed, including tailored suits and expensive heels. So there. I was reassured that one doesn't have to give up one's femininity in order to succeed in business.
  25. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that Wall Street is so progressive. :) But Wall Street isn't Main Street, and I think that's rather the exception than the rule.

This post saddens me greatly. Why would only a bitchy woman say that? And why would you have to include the word "bitchy" in front of it? We don't know this woman. Maybe it wasn't as explicitly stated, but I've known too many women that have come up against the same type of discrimination to just summarily dismiss her statement. Why would you assume that her female co-workers won't back her up? If they had any sense, they wouldn't want to work in that kind of environment, or put a stop to it. The fact that Citibank is commenting on it at all, even to deny it, makes me wonder.

I agree there were some questionable outfits, though I have more of an issue with the pink shirt than I do the white one, as it looks like lingere. The white shirt would have been OK with a better bra (and she is wearing one, otherwise the girls would be down to her knees). OTOH, when you're built the way she is, the choices are: wear clothes that fit to the body OR wear clothes that conceal everything and gives the illusion that she's chubby, which is just as bad if not worse in business. I've seen a lot of high school girls struggle with this dilemma.

What I want to know is, what is the dress code for Citibank employees, and what kind of language is used. How strict is it, and how open to interpretation is it. I think that's what this case will come down to.
  26. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

As far as I know, proper business attire has always included undergarments. So far, from what I can see, she clearly missed the memo on that one.

This might not go over well, and I think it has been alluded to somewhat, but two women can't wear the same thing and it look the same on them. Your figure is everything. This isn't saying that one person's shape is better than or worse than someone else's. I was watching Iron Man 2 the other day and Gwyneth Paltrow and Scarlett Johanssen both had on dark business suits. Both women are attractive. The scene that I am thinking of showed both women walking up a flight of steps, shot from the back. The difference in the two women was obvious. Scarlett's suit was in no way what I would consider conservative--she has to work extra hard to play down her attributes.

You have to dress for your shape and body type. There are some things that should never be worn to an office/professional environment. But, people have to understand that you will be portrayed a certain way based on what you wear and how you wear it. All of this works together. It might not be fair, but unfortunately, it's the way that it is.

Looking at these pictures, it's obvious that this woman's intent was to be sexy even in a conservative business environment. I can't believe that this employee hadn't been warned about her attire before she was terminated. As a supervisor myself, I would send home any woman who came to work and it was obvious she wasn't wearing a bra, panties, etc. I've sent home people for coming to work inappropriately dressed and haven't felt bad about it. I seriously hope that Citibank isn't being as irresponsible as this woman claims.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

FiveRinger, why is it obvious that she is not wearing panties? Bra, yes she is either not wearing one or still poking through it but panties? Just because there are no VPL's doesn't mean she is not wearing them. There are thongs and the seamless laser cut underwear these days.
  28. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Maybe women should just wear chadors and be done with it :shuffle:
    Just curious, but have you sent home men for not wearing undershirts underneath their dress shirts?
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:respec:
  30. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I said that I would send home a woman who obviously didn't have on a bra and/or panties. That did happen in our call center a few weeks ago where a woman did have on a pair of white capris with nothing under them and her female supervisor sent her home. It was disgusting, and had it been my subordinate I would have done the same. As a woman, I was offended.

Thongs, seamless panties, all of that stuff is fine--great, whatever. I don't have a problem with any of that. It's not my business what you've got on under there. I just don't need know about it at work. We were talking about professional, business attire. There are certain things that I just don't need/want to see. Especially at work. It's uncomfortable.

In the picture, I was referring to lack of undergarments to the bra.

I've never sent a man home for not wearing anything underneath a dress shirt. In my office, it's fairly casual and most of the guys wear dark t-shirts. That hasn't been an issue. We are usually trying to keep from seeing the guys' underwear--in fact, begging them to not sag. A few have been sent home for it, but I haven't had to do that yet.

Although, I remember while in college, the head librarian, who was male, used to wear white dress shirts with nothing under them. It was kind of creepy.

Let me also say that there are a lot of very young women working at my job, for many this is their first job. They've had to be hand-held a lot where appropriate dress is concerned. For me, personally, that means being appropriately covered. There are some company rules that I have to enforce, but I don't have control over that. Being covered up needs exploration for some, though, I guess.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  31. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It's usually a corporation's policy not to comment on lawsuits. Their lawyers usually try to make sure of that. Blabbing in the press in any way can always come back and bite you--they comment that the suit's without merit, that's all they need to say except in court.

And I honestly don't believe, between the article (where we have ONLY her version) and the photos (which shows how she wants to be presented in the press--you can't tell me she's oblivious that her shirt's see-through) that "that kind of environment" exists at all. She comes across as an attention whore who wants to emphasize how much hotter she is to male coworkers than her female coworkers. They could dress in the same clothes as her and it isn't a distraction because she's just so sexy and they're not...:rolleyes: She made sure THAT comment got printed.

She works in a bank office, where conservative dress is the order of the day. That doesn't mean wear a burqa. That means "Put on a bra if you need one and wear clothes that aren't see-through." I work in a fairly casual office but we still don't wear blue jeans and t-shirts, and if I came in braless with a sheer blouse so everyone can see my business, you can bet I'd get told to cover up and probably written up to boot. That's not because my male supervisor thinks I'm so hot I'm a distraction, it's because it's not a professional image.
  32. Karina1974

"Properly tailored" clothes do not not leave a person's bust size up to the imagination. The only appropriate business attire in those pictures as far as the tops go is the grey one. That pink top is club wear and definitely not apporpriate for the office. Ditto the white top, which looks to me to be a leotard.
  33. Karina1974

And if she was, then she doesn't have a leg to stand on, considering she is working in NY, which is an "at will" state.
  34. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I agree with this - something that makes your breasts the main focus of the whole outfit is not properly fitted.

Article about how many FB pages there are for Debrahlee Lorenzana now :lol:
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2010/06/which_debralee.php
  35. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Good for you, what a tool.

Yeah, some people are strangely afraid / offended / intimidated of boobs. And the bigger they are, the more afraid......etc.etc. of them they are.

And heaven forbid the slight outline of a nip appear.

Personally, I think they're beautiful, and quite often find myself admiring other people's. Even though I'm completely hetero and adore men.

She looks wonderful. The pink top is just ugly.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

When will we see the video "Bank Workers Gone Wild"?
    deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  37. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Sweetie? Really? Now THAT seems like something only a bitchy woman would say. And I don't find the shirt to be see-through and she's likely wearing a bra or her boobs would be hanging MUCH lower. As a woman of size myself, unless you wear a padded bra it's nearly impossible to keep the nipples from popping through occasionally, even in looser clothing, but padded bras make it that much harder to look "demure".
  38. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I really don't see all curvy women walking around with visible nipples. There are ways to dress in order to avoid or minimize the problem - these outfits look like they are chosen to highlight the problem. The mere fact this whole thread is about it, IMO, demonstrates that they are what jump out of the picture.

My guess is it wasn't the woman's clothes that got her into trouble, but her attitude.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  39. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I'm sure her nipples aren't visible ALL the time, in fact that's the only photo in which they are.

ETA: What the heck is wrong with being a little nipply anyway? It's a natural body reaction signifying nothing more than she might be a little cold or bloated.
    Jodi and (deleted member) like this.
  40. screech

screech Well-Known Member

What strikes me about the nipples is that only one is poking through. There is a chance that she was wearing a well-worn bra. I'm not a busty person (32C) but when I wear my older bras, even the thicker ones, sometimes my nipples make a bit of an indent. Nowhere near her level - not obscene or anything, but it happens to the best of us.

It's just like TV shows. Watching reruns of Friends lately I've noticed that Jennifer Aniston's nipples are always popping out to say hello, but from the back her bra strap will sometimes be noticable in the nipply scenes. It's seriously distracting.