Ban the OTBT!!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Aussie Willy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I did admire Pasha's lilac boots though .Only she could get away with those :glamor:

2. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Seriously? :rolleyes:

3. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I'm in! I'm in! Where do I sign.......

They are just horrid. I thought when they put Alissa's tights into her boots it really enhanced her line.

4. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

How boring is the skating that you get distracted by over the boot tights? :confused: I understand not liking the look, but the venom toward them is over the top. Honestly, it is much easier if you have scuffed boots. You can't always make them look presentable, especially if it's the end of the season, and one close landing on the the practice the day of the competition is enough to dirty them again. I really don't care all that much, as long as they're neat and hole free.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

From a judging point of view, they tend to enhance the lack of leg line and poor ankle flexion in skaters. If you want to draw attention to yourself when those aspects of a skater are poor, then wear OTBTs because they make them stand out even more.

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Y'all are nuts. OTBTs are :smokin:

7. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

I think OTBTs are okay on people with small feet but on people like me with large feet they just make their feet look huge

8. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Sign me up. I also hate the look of OTBT.

Only white boots, and please, without painting the boot edges and heels white.

9. elle123

elle123 Member

I agree! There's something about them that scream "Junior".

10. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

While I agree that in the boot tights look better, my DD skates bare foot and uses the feeling of her toes in certain positions in the boot when jumping. For that reason she does wear tights that partially cover her boot, which I know many of you also hate lol. I prefer she skate well and be comfortable though. Perhaps many of the other women wearing OTBT do so for the same reasons. To each his or her own. The skating is what really matters.

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I'm not a stickler for one way of presenting oneself on the ice over another. What is the reason given by most skaters for the over the boot look?

In any case, what's wrong with more variety depending on overall outfit, i.e., wearing tan boots, pink boots, red boots, blue boots, or even black boots for ladies too re whatever goes with the overall costume/ look. Why is it so ingrained that white boots exclusively are for the ladies? I noticed that Aliona Savchenko sometimes wears tan boots to go with her costumes.

12. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Vote for OTBT:
    1) I'm short, short waisted and have a Rachel Flatt type figure on ice
    2) I have small feet, size 5.5 shoe, size FOUR skate; an OTBT gives me a longer leg look on ice and takes away from the stubbiness that both 1 and 2 create
    3) My boots are not exactly pretty after all these years, the tights cover the marks. And I keep the tights pretty pristine, no runs or hole
    4) Preference of my coach, she likes the look

13. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I like white boots for performance.

14. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Still prefer the white boots. OTBT do not do it for me, aesthetically. The boot-top protrusion at the ankle breaks the line, and the feet look unnatural, IMO.

15. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

There are other things to ban too.Having just seen photos of Elena Ilinikh FD costume .Very sad grey unflattering miserable costume.It may fit the programme but this is supposed to be a diva in the making :rolleyes:
    Also Solovievs grey FD jumper ugh :(
    So BMC BAN MISERABLE COSTUMES :rofl:

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Except Rachael Flatt wore white boots this season and she looked better for it. The combination of the white boots and flattering SP dress cut made a huge difference, IMO. I've never though OTBT lengthened the lines of skaters, if anything, they detract from the line. All skaters, regardless of body type, look better in white boots IMO.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, and even worse for people with shorter legs IMO. They do not make the leg line look longer; they just make it look lumpier.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  18. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I don't prefer to see OTBT either. What do you all think about the tights that just go over the top of the boot, just little bit over the laces? Seems a good compromise for warmth, coverage, hiding wraps and such.

19. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

It is so dreadful.

I dont like the OTBT unless you wear those Edea skates which look like casts to me. I hate the way those boots look. Add Risports to the list as well... that tight narrow laceup looks like its cutting off all circulation to the skaters. ANYWAY, Sasha Cohen was probably the only skater who wore that look well. Maybe Yu Na as well. Everyone else, it's got to go.

WHat about beige colored skates? Aliona wears them well. Penny coomes on the other hand... UGH...

20. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I could not wait for this team to retire. The boots were only the beginning of their problems

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I'm with this crusade...but I thought the title was something to do with Off Track Betting...:slinkaway

22. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Seems to be a matter of opinion because I, too, find the over the boots tights can enhance the line. Having that said, I think it depends on the skater. There are skaters when I think OTBT would be better because their feet look just so large in white boots/their leg line is broken. Most of the times though I don't even notice what type of tights they're wearing.
    On the other hand, my nemisis is when the OTBT go over the heel of the skate as well because then I find it the feet look chunky and heavy.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Sure. So let's ban OTB tights, ban miserable costumes....where does this end? Maybe Speedy doesn't like this and that colour, let's ban clothes in those colours too. And what about make up? OR certain hair style? We could ban female having short hair and male having long hair... or why not to go even further, let's ban female with brown hair and have them all looking like Barbies ....

Where does this going to end? Is this really what we want? Should things be banned because someone does not like it?

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Erm, you do realize the 'ban' was purely tongue-in-cheek, expressing how much some posters dislike the look, not a literal suggestion to implement a rule getting rid of the tights. Right?

25. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Lighten up it's the trash can :pWe talk trash :)

26. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

If you read above, some posters seem to take the topic of OTB tights far too seriously.

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

You mean, some posters were OTT with sarcasm and some half-serious about a minor issue? In the Trash Can?! Why, I'd never...

29. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't normally care one way or the other, but I did think Sotnikova's white boots peeking out from under her OTBT during her FS at Rostelcom looked sloppy.

I generally think OTBT and tan boots look better under theatrical lights where the lumpiness and mismatched color with tights are not so apparent.

30. madm

madm Active Member

Appearance is only one aspect of this conversation. Practicality is the other. My daughter was a pair skater and her boots were horribly sliced and diced. Polishing them before a competition did not cover up all of the damage. The only way to make them look decent was to cover them with OTB tights. And with syncro teams, OTB tights can hide ugly boots and tan boots, which some skaters might have. It is important in syncro to have a uniform look. So even though it might look nicer to have white boots showing, it is not always practical.