Ban the OTBT!!!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Aussie Willy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Please join my campaign to ban Over The Boot Tights (OTBT).

I know this is a really petty and small minded campaign, and who are we to be the fashion police, but seriously they look so fugly on so many skaters. Mao's white boots looked lovely and I thought did a lot of enhance, not just the appearance, but how her skating skills and leg line came across.

Same goes for boot covers.

In fact their sole reason for being should only be for male skaters when doing a drag number and they have to cover up their black boots.

2. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

When I first saw the thread title on the main page, I wondered what you had against the "Off the Beaten Track" subforum.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Aussie Willy

I have nothing against that, I promise! :slinkaway

4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

:rofl:

I do like OTBT when it fits the music and costume and they are hole free.

I LOVE clean bright white boots with other costumes.

My daughter wears otbt with a floaty dreamy dress to floaty dreamy music.

She wears white for her freeskate program. There is a place for either!

5. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

*signs up*

I HATE over-the-boot-tights! They make so many girls' legs look chunky and clunky and it just looks awful!

White boot all the way!

6. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I am another shameless white boot look-lover. ;)

It seems like a lot of girls are switching back to the traditional look:
    -Two seasons ago it was Alissa Czisny
    -Last season Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki and, briefly, Kanako Murakami
    -This season, Ashley Wagner (Love it!), Gracie Gold, Christina Gao (REALLY think it makes a huge difference)
    and Rachael Flatt

It almost seems like last year the Japanese Federation put out a 'memo' about it and this year it was USFSA. :lol:

The only thing worse than OTBT is the look Qing Pang is sporting this season...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijjQRC1uC_s

I assume that the reason skaters do either of these looks is to add "support," but as a hard-core fan, I much prefer the classic white boot look.

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I was scared Aussie Willie wanted to take away my Survivor and Amazing race threads. :(

As for the tights themselves, I have worn them for dance. They rip easily. As in you look at them and they rip. I got a big honking hole in one of my toes right before the last (US) Adult Nationals. I didn't buy a new pair, instead I wore my regular in the boot pair. I medalled. I assume that means that the judges didn't care that my boots were white while I danced.

8. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I agree. Sign me up right away!

the over the boot tight is ghastly, and makes ones leg look chunkier and bigger than it is.

What is the desired effect of them? I look like your skating bare foot?

Weird.

9. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

I'm in! I have despised them since they came out. They make feet look clunky and legs look chunky.

I always wore in the boot tights when competing. I almost did not join my area adult Syncro team because they wear over the boot tights.

10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

They can give you a cleaner line and make your legs look longer, which is good if you are short, like me. ;) They also cover up scuff and other dirty marks on your boots. And in my case, they cover up the bunga pads (gel lining on the inside of ace bandage material) I wear around both ankles. Usually in practice, my leggings cover them up, but if I need to wear a dress for testing or comp (although haven't competed in 5 years), I need something else there.

But yeah, they do rip easily. When I wear them, I also wear a pair of knee highs (I think they are Mondor brand) that I fold down over the hooks of my boots to minimize the risk.

11. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

"The only thing worse than OTBT is the look Qing Pang is sporting this season... "

That is funny. This style was perfect for skate practice when they were made in a super thick rib. I never expected to see it in competition. It's not attractive, the kid liked them because they were warm.

I do think OTBT make legs look longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIbb8YjZTI She is a tiny girl and looks tall on the ice.

12. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I know there has always been an argument that they make legs look longer. I disagree strongly. When you really look at it, legs do not look longer at all. I'm with those who think tights over the boots just looks dumb.

13. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

I always wear boot covers to practice and OTB to testing. My boots are too beat up.

14. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Absoultely. If you are a child, whose thigh is not much ticker than the knee/lower leg then I suppose they aren't too bad (i still dont like the look, and unless you have perfect pointed feet hellooo Clunky McClunk.) but on anyone with even slightly bigger thighs they are disastrous.

It amuses me that so many adult and syncro skaters wear them, as they tend to be on the larger end of the scale for skaters/legs etc.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

As Hillel would say:

:judge:

16. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

It's not that I don't like otbt, it's just that they only look suit certain body types

17. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Then, my dear, it is called sk8tape. And boot polish.

CanuckSk8r and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Aussie Willy

It seems these days that the Synchro teams are either going for the white boots or tan boots. But not many as many are wearing OTBTs.

19. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Definately white boots.
    Remember years back many of the dancers wore them Anissina Lobacheva Grishuk :(Horrible ugly things Albena still has them :rolleyes:
    I don't mind the tan boots Babs Delobel and Shae wore though .
    My real hate is dirty boots and especially laces :eek:
    It can spoil the whole look of a skater IMO They can have the most gorgeous costume but if the boots are dirty :(
    Look at Korpi she is flawless .Remember Petrova 's white over the boot covers ?

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I love over the boots tights. At least you don't have to worry about your boots being scratched, marked and dirty before competition. I have my boots for several years and all my learning attempts have left them with so many cut marks, that it really isn't nice showing that off on a competition or test.

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Really, I don't really care. But I admit that I prefer to see the boots !

22. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

It's taped all over and does not look nicer than boot cover. :p

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Skate tape looks even worse than wearing over the boots tights or boots covers. At some stage it starts peeling and it is like if a snake sheds his skin! Disgusting! And boot polish? You must have black boots then, because with white boots or beige boots the boot polish won't cover the cut marks. The cut marks are dark brown and stand out even on polished boots. One would have to buy a white paint and paint it over. But if you do that, the boots will look even worse as soon as the pain start rubbing off.

24. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I am on board with this. I HATE OTBT!!! They make the skater's ankles look huge and I find it very distracting. While we are banning things, can we ban boot decals as well? Madison Chock and Piper Gilles may have personal reasons for wearing hearts on their boots but again, I find it distracting and sort of "junior high".

25. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I don't like OTBT much, but I have to say anything is preferable to noticeably dirty boots.

26. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

I hate hate hate over-the-boot-tights!!! They cheapen the look of the skater.

Clean white boots are the only way to go. Tan are exceptable also.

27. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I agree, I hate OTBT.

I've never gotten the notion that it elongates the line. If anything it breaks the line and is distracting. Some of these girls look like they have big deformed ankles and that's all I can focus on.

Nice white boots are the way to go. I don't mind light tan. Just not that darker color that Savchenko had been wearing. Those just looked dirty.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't like them either. I will join your campaign. :)

29. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

I don't get all of the passion about this issue, I don't even usually notice them. It's just not something I pay attention to. I try to pay attention to, you know, the skating. :shuffle:

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  30. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

That's the problem. Sometimes the over the boot tights are so distracting it's hard to see the skating.