Bafta Awards

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch? I was trying to flip between the Grammy's and BBC America.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There was a bit of coverage BBC news channel and I heard The Artist was a big winner.

3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Best producer, best actor and best film IIRC. :eek:

I saw it earlier online and really appreciated the concise, 2 hour format. Stephen Fry was very good as host (I assume he does it regularly?)

Interestingly Tinker Tinker Soldier Spy was very heavily nominated there (with some wins) but not for Best Picture at the Oscars.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Also "Drive" was nominated as well for best pic. I thought Meryl Streep was funny getting to the stage (stepped out of her shoe and Colin Firth had to first find and retrieve her shoe and then placed her foot back in her shoe) and then followed with a fine, thoughtful speech. Also a lifetime achievement award was given to Martin Scorcese and I think his speech is also worth a listen. Is Stephen Fry the presenter every year? I thought he struck just the right note with his humor and wryness. And as noted it was blessedly short compared to the Oscars. If they could do it so can Oscar!

5. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Yes.

6. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I watched it. It was pretty good. And I agree about SF.
    I hate to say this, but this was the first time I have seen Meryl in years that she didn't seem drunk or high. Does she have a problem?

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

No, she was just acting, I am sure :lol:

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Seriously? I have never gotten that impression, ever.

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

You haven't? Don't you think she acts kinda silly and out of it?
    Is it just me?

10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

When I see her in interviews and she is "just Meryl" she seems friendly but also a bit uncomfortable and shy. She also seems that way on any red carpet. It never occurred to me that it might be something else. I'll watch more closely.

11. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

12. masofs

masofs New Member

Yeah, I'm a big fan of her and I think she is just like that. I love her. I think she is adorable and funny.