Back Surgery Once Again for Adrian Schultheiss

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by turquoiseblue, Oct 24, 2012.

1. turquoiseblue

turquoiseblue Member

http://adrianschultheiss.com/news/12_13/october/25.html

Also available in Swedish:
    http://adrianschultheiss.com/sv/news/12_13/october/25.html

In Russian:
    http://adrianschultheiss.com/ru/news/12_13/october/25.html

In Japanese:
    http://adrianschultheiss.com/ja/news/12_13/october/25.html
  2. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Damn.. I feel so bad for Adrian :(
  3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I hope he's really thinking through the potential long term consequences -- hate to see his back discs go one by one. :(
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Poor Adrian :fragile:
  5. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Damn....this just sucks :(.

Having had three fusions for herniated discs myself (with two of them in the lumbar/sacral region of the spine), that kind of radiating nerve pain down the leg(s) is excruciating -- I cannot even imagine how anyone could skate, much less execute any jumps when in that much pain :yikes:. After herniating a disc, especially in the lower back, it's not uncommon for one of the discs above or below it to degenerate and/or herniate due to the body compensating for the injured disc. Repetitive motions and stress, such as thousands of triple/quad jumps, can definitely contribute to disc degeneration. As much as it sucks to have surgery, it's better to take care of it rather than risk exacerbating the herniation by adopting a wait-and-see approach with epidural steroid treatments, nerve blocks, and physical therapy. In mild cases, those treatments can give some relief but don't eliminate the problem. In the case of being an athlete in a sport in which the lower back/hips take a pounding on a daily basis, putting off surgery could result in permanent damage to the spinal nerves and a lifetime of chronic pain.

Do any of the articles that aren't in English go into any detail as to the severity of the herniation or which discs are affected? From the sound of it, I would bet dollars to donuts that the disc at L4-L5 is one of the two herniations, with the L5-S1 being the other affected disc. When did he herniate the first disc? Depending on the degree of nerve impingement, the surgery could be a decompression, or it could be a laminectomy/fusion (when the disc is completely removed and replaced with either donor bone or titanium "cages" which, as bone tissue grows around and through them, the two vertebrae become one longer one (in a double-level fusion, three vertebrae become one). Hopefully it's the former (a decompression) and not the latter, as a double-level fusion is a much more invasive surgery, requires a much longer recovery time, greatly decreases flexibility, and limits certain motions. As much as I hate to even think it, that would likely be career ending :fragile:.

Crossing my fingers and toes and hoping for a successful surgery, a quick, safe, and healthy recovery, and more skating from the Voidy Swede :inavoid:
  6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That sucks. :(
  7. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Aw man... :(
  8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Poor Adrian. That is really bad luck. I always look forward to what funky program he comes up with each season.
  9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

me too
  10. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Poor poor Adrian! :( His programs in Finlandia Trophy showed again lots of voidy potential, but he was not skating them 100% Now we know the reason. Too bad, he is always so Adrianesque, so different from the other skaters.:kickass:
  11. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Nope, it says the same thing. That it is the disk above the previously herniated disk that needs attention. Skate Sweden has a slightly longer article.The first herniated disk was operated on last autumn, and it took him 2-3 months to get back, so he's hoping to be back around NYE.

{{Swedish skating dudes}}
  12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ouch!! Poor guy.
  13. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I think he really needs to think about whether the risks outweigh the rewards of returning to skating. After I'd herniated my disc, I retired from jumping altogether, and moved to ice dance, to avoid the pounding and to avoid some of the falls.
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This is a shame.
    Wishing him a complete recovery.
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I hope he recovers quickly and that the pain is gone.
  16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

My prayers are with his speedy recovery.