Baby formula in China causing babies to grow breasts

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Horrific. I never buy anything from China ever since they poisoned the gluten that killed thousands of cats and dogs. It's horrific how they use their people as guinea pigs. Inhuman.

-Bridget

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Ugh, that's horrible. And I've heard that hormones in milk over here may have something to do with girls having early puberty.

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's a lie, unless I've got some super-estrogen-resisting genes. :lol: As a kid I drank 10x more milk (and it was the stuff with hormones too) than any other girl I know and I had my period late and you can still do laundry on my chest.

That's not good for babies, though! :yikes: The melamine fiasco was such a facepalm situation. Like, poisoning pets is one thing, but putting in bad stuff that will feed your country's babies?!

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  5. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Same here Anita.. milk was the only thing I drank as a kid and I got nothing out of it lol.

Very strange that they would put that kind of crap in baby food.. good grief!

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I thought it was all the hormones in chicken that were supposed to give you early puberty and breasts :lol: Anyway, I don't drink milk, and I have a big chest, so there's that theory.

Anyway, this is an awful story.

7. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I ate a lot of chicken as a kid too.. still do.. and still nothing lol!

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

9. Anita18

Nope. Was a certified meat eater and still nothing. :lol:

If it was anything other than hormones, I would agree with you. :lol: Hormones are very potent even in very small amounts, and every body responds to it pretty much the same. So yeah, if there were hormones in milk or chicken that was supposed to make me a woman at age 12, it should have worked on me. ;)

10. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Wasn't there something with poisoned milk a few years ago that broke out after the Olympics in Beijing?

11. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the melamine fiasco Anita18 referred to. Could get milk based drinks at Starbucks for a bit, as it was all made by the same company (I think Starbucks ended up getting different milk for a month or so after the crisis was over, just because everyone was still really unsure about buying milk). I don't think it was just after the Olympics though...I thought it was before them.

12. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

One way to deal with the problem is to get rid of the soy additives in all foods. There shouldn't be any soy added to any food sold in this country. One of the side effects of soy consumption is early puberty:

http://www.karinya.com/soydangers.htm

13. Anita18

I'm Chinese and as stated above, I experienced late-normal puberty. By now everyone knows that Chinese dishes often utilize tofu, which is made of soy. ;) There's also soy milk which many Asians regularly drink (I personally never got into it) and soybeans etc etc.

AFAIK, Asians have not experienced unusually early puberty compared with other populations...

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Me too. And still nothing doing. :lol:

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Asians also don't utilize soy as a substitute for meat dishes the way plenty of non-Asians do - tofurkey, meatless chicken/beef patties. It's a lot healthier to eat free range poultry and grass-fed beef than to eat the stuff sold in the "health food" section of the grocery store.

And everything I've ever read about soy states that Asia didn't not even eat soy until the fermentation process was developed. Also that it is used as a condiment only, not as the center focus of a meal like the above-mentioned examples.

17. Anita18

We certainly don't eat a TON of it everyday (it's silly to have a meat-centered diet, and it's also silly to simply substitute the meat with tofu), but it's certainly in a lot of things. My mom used to try and sneak it into dinners because I didn't really care for tofu by itself. :lol:

Also not sure if our family is representative of all Asian families, but we never had a "center focus" of any meal. Every dish was communal, so we ate what we chose to put on our plate. If my sister wanted a ton of tofu and no seafood, she could do that. :lol:

You have to ferment soy milk to get tofu, but you can also just drink the soy milk by itself. I'm not sure if drinking soy milk became popular after the invention of tofu but...anyway. Many people drink soy milk just as Americans would regular milk.

Soy lecithin is in EVERYTHING, though, as it's used as a filler. That's the kind of stuff I would try to avoid, not tofu. :lol: At least you can see how much tofu you've eaten.

18. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member