Axl Rose declines Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame nomination, won't attend ceremony

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cheylana, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Anyone here a Guns N' Roses fan or know the backstory? Axl Rose is refusing to be inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame with his original bandmates, and apparently he sent a looooong letter to the HOF explaining his reasons, although I'm still confused about his reasoning. Does he just hate the original GNR bunch that much?

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Axl is a diva :drama:, and he doesn't like anything that doesn't revolve around him or cater to him.

The letter seems to indicate that the HOF is inviting people to stand on stage with G'n'R that Axl doesn't think belong there. That's one reason. Also, the stuff in the letter about revisionist history - I'm guessing that refers to Duff McKagan's recent book which was IMHO pretty realistic and honest, but which Diva Axl probably feels isn't laudatory enough toward him and his amazing talents :drama:

I'm not surprised this has happened, frankly. If Axl can't run the show, he won't show up.

3. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Axl is the only original member left in GnR, and he doesn't like that fact mentioned because that affects ticket sales. The commercial for the 2012 tour obstructs the faces of all the current members except Axl.

4. Cheylana

That's bizarre. Axl thinks certain GNR former members don't deserve to be part of the induction?
    He's delusional if he thinks people haven't figured out that he's the only original member left in the band. :confused:

5. heckles

Correct, but attending the ceremony with the original lineup would be a tacit admission on Axl's part that the current GnR lineup bites the big one.

6. overedge

Apparently. According to Entertainment Weekly's website,
    I don't know if either Slash or Adler were going to be at the ceremony, but regardless, Axl seems to think that GNR's success and reputation is his alone and he doesn't want to share it.

7. JILEN

JILEN New Member

:)Good for him! there are many, many more musicians who have much, much, more influence on Rock & Roll then Axl and entourage. I would like to add...one Great Album, one mediocre album & EP, one steaming hot pile.

8. Cheylana

:lol:
    Out of curiosity, any other rock bands from that era who you think should be inducted ahead of GNR? What about Heart?

9. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

The biggest snubs are for Rush, Heart, Kiss and Chicago. Freakin' Donovan got in before any of these bands...:rolleyes:

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'm just mad about Saffron
    Saffron's mad about me
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    She's just mad about me

They call me mellow yellow
    (Quite rightly)
    (Quite rightly)

:D

11. heckles

Yeah, well at least they had the good sense to nominate Joan Jett. Hopefully she'll actually get inducted soon.

12. Cheylana

I've never even heard of Donovan... :shuffle:

13. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

"Hail Atlantisssssss...."

To quote Cat Stevens (whom you may not know either) - "Oh very young..."

14. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I'm still bitter the B-52's aren't even nominated. No band will ever match their voids

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm wondering when/if Carly Simon will ever be inducted into the Rock & Roll HOF. I'd love to see that happen.

16. Cheylana

What are the criteria, even? Wondering if GNR, Red Hot Chili Peppers are legendary enough...

17. JILEN

JILEN New Member

Artists are eligible twenty five years after their first record is released. Criteria include influence and significance of the artist' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll but then again you have to really define what "rock and roll" is. Ex. abba, james taylor, miles davis, gladys knight & the pips, dusty springfield & others made it to the HOF.

Performers being inducted this year incude, but are not limited to:

Guns & Roses
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Beastie Boys
    Donovan
    Laura Nyro

Performers not being inducted this year, or any previous year who I think should be and have been:

Boston
    Chicago
    Deep Purple
    Dire Straits
    Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
    Heart
    Iron Maiden
    Journey
    Kiss
    Nirvana
    Roxy Music
    Rush
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Ted Nugent
    Yes

I quit caring about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a long time ago. They just don't seem to know or really care about good music.

18. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

this^
    Donovan was a BIG star in the seventys. He was one of the so called
    British Invasion. Really cute too.
    Actor Donovan Leach (sp?) is his son.
    Actress Ione Sky is his daughter.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Pat Benatar should be in the R&RHoF. And Suzi Quatro as well. While Quatro didn't have a big career in the USA, she was a trailblazer and was really big in England in the 70's and still tours regularly throughout other parts of the world (Japan, Australia, Germany, etc.).

20. JILEN

JILEN New Member

I like them both and while Suzi Quatro and Pat rocked the waves in the late 70's/80's I dont consider their US music influence R&RHoF worthy, maybe in England they are a shoe in. jmo.

21. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Influence is the key word. The RRHOF places a HUGE imporatance on that. For example, on that list, no band sold more records than Chicago has. And think about it, every High School band in America played their music in the 70's, and some still do even today. But they didn't influence a lot of other bands to use horns like they did, and over time, because of all the ballads they recorded, they became uncool. So being uncool and not influential in the way the HOF likes...they are out, and they don't even get nominated. This despite the fact that they were one of the biggest acts of the 1970's, one of the most socially conscious bands of the era, and one of the more creative bands of the time. You can write the same story for most of those who aren't in. :rolleyes:

Of the other bands on the list, the one most likely to get in is Nirvana. There are hundreds of bands that were influenced by them. But I gotta think that the RRHOF may be reluctant to induct Nirvana just because of the nightmare that Courtney is! I mean Axl's Diva-ness is nothing compared to Courtney Love. As we read today, even her own daughter is embarrassed by her, imagine what will happen when Nirvana gets in! Maybe the UFC will sponsor a cage match between Courtney and Dave Grohl on their induction! :rofl:

But I must add, is Nirvana even eligible yet?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

No Axel? Oh, darn (I was hoping he might undergo some more bad plastic surgery just for the occassion...) :yikes:

23. overedge

Nah, he's just going to pull his cornrows tighter :p

24. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Lol!! :lol:

25. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Heart is so underrated - amazing, amazing band.

I do think they were finally nominated in 2012. FINALLY.

I wonder how long they have to be a nominee, if they'll be back on the ballot next year or not.

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.