Award a Gold Medal to Denis Ten for his Performance at the 2013 World Figure Skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lala, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

2. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Do the fans now vote for the placements? What is this - Dancing with the Stars?

kosjenka, FunnyBut, alilou and 3 others like this.
  3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

5. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Can we go back in time and award medals to skaters who were "robbed" as well?

6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Hopefully this thread will head to the Trash Can where it belongs.

7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:D

8. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

As mentioned above, Denis already received a gold "small medal" at the 2013 Worlds for winning the free skate.

The results of the 2013 Worlds were decided by the performances of the skaters in their short and free programs as represented by the scores of the judges and they are now history. Don't bother with useless petitions!

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Well, that certainly blows any credibility or objectivity that Monica Friedlander might have had as a figure skating "journalist".

Not to mention that she clearly doesn't understand the difference between what happened at 2013 Worlds and at the 2002 Olympics. If she has evidence of pre-determined results or judging improprieties at 2013 Worlds - *real* evidence, not just "I don't agree with the results" - she would help skating more by revealing that evidence, not by starting petitions.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Oh, God let's hope Linda Fratianne doesn't see this...:violin:

skateboy, Coco, jamesy and 3 others like this.
  11. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

I get why people were upset with the result, especially to the untrained eye, I thought when Denis was skating that he was going to win, but it didn't happen. But, people have got to realize that this sport and seriously just get over it. It's a skating competition, not a life-or-death event, things happen. This happened almost two weeks ago now, it's time to move on to other things and look forward to World Team Trophy and what next season will bring.

12. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I have to disagree with this petition as well. Does IJS have it's problems? You betcha. But having petitions to reverse outcomes is a very slippery slope. I'd rather see a petition to get rid of Cinquata as head of the ISU.

And while I'm no fan of Chan, I feel for him here. He'd best skate error-free at the Olympics, because he will be the subject of some nasty backlash if he doesn't and he medals (or wins) anyway.

13. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

:rofl: Is this the first time a petition has actually been started to reverse a decision at a skating competition? Wow! Just wow!

ETA: I started to look through the signatures and this comment was left by someone in Russia who decided not to leave his/her name:

Good to know Canada and the U.S. produces so many fake and forgotten champions. :rofl:

What a hot mess that petition is!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  14. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

OMG, this is just ridiculous. I LOVE Patrick's skating and I understand IJS/CoP and so I am comfortable with the result. And I know I am biased here, but these attacks on Patrick are just sickening and heartbreaking. I am all for speaking out against shoddy and/or crooked judging, or a flawed judging system, but I have never, nor will I ever attack the skaters themselves. They all work so hard and without them we wouldn't have our beloved sport. I agree with kylet3, it's time to move on.

15. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I believe this "petition" is the last thing Denis would want. The supporters of this petition should read what he had to say about that many people felt he should have won.

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Sigh. Between this petition and most of the few skating journalists left writing about the results, every causal figure skating fan that speaks English is going to think that the judges had some deal going on behind the scenes to automatically figure out how many points to award Chan to make sure he stayed first. And how exactly does that help the sport? It reminds me of Phil Hersh and how he's either 1) claiming that the results are fixed before it even happens (see all of his Tweets about how V/M were going to win, or 2) saying that the results weren't fair but he (and everyone else doing any reporting) can't go into any detail about why they come to this conclusion besides that it's just those awful judges.

I've said this so many times since the actual free skate, but the problem lies within the scoring system itself. And within that, it's only a few small aspects that need tweaking IMO. Many people want to go on and on about how Chan didn't deserve a skating skill mark or a transition mark as high as he did because of the falls. I've countered those arguments so many times (as have others), and even without me, I think we all get the gist that nowhere in the PCS criteria does it address falls as a (severe) hinderance to the score.

However, look at the TES mark. Sure, Chan had two great quads at the beginning of his program. But he also under-rotated and fell on his only triple Axel attempt, while Ten did two beauties (one as a 3+3 combination). Chan also had another fall, a big fall-out, and a doubled jump later in his program, while Ten only doubled one intended jump and not a single element in his free skate received negative GOE. I do think that some of Chan's GOE's are suspicious (+3 and +2's for the final double Axel? Huh?), but all in all, I just think that the punishment for a missed element is not strict enough. I've been saying that since the ISU made the GOE's more lenient in favor of the skater for attempting 'high-risk' elements following the 2010 Olympics. We all remember 2010 Skate Canada and Chan's three-fall short program, don't we?

If we actually tackled getting a point total for what *is* actually completed successfully on the ice vs. a disaster skate and the separation there should be between the two, then all of these people crying about how Chan deserved a 5.00 for skating skills because he spent roughly 2 seconds of his free skate falling wouldn't have much to complain about anymore... well, besides performance/execution, I guess.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I find the petition quite amusing. I did enjoy reading some of the comments. That said, if someone wants to start a petition and folks want to sign it, good for them. Telling people to "get over something" is kind of insulting. It's skating. We've debated Annett vs Linda, Nancy vs Linda, Tara vs Michelle, etc for yrs..We know it's not life or death..but the few skating fans left are still quite passionate. It's worth a chuckle.

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Some people just have too much free time on their hands.

Was this petition started by bek?

19. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

this is becoming ridiculous.

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Seriously. People may hate the whole 'second gold' for SLC, but at least there they had actual reasons to consider there was corrupted judging/collusion. (Ie, a judge having a couple breakdowns in front of witnesses.) There's no evidence at all any judges deliberately collaborated to "give" Chan the win, they used the scoring system as it stands and he came out first overall.

21. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Not unless bek is Monica Friedlander. The "journalist" Monica Friedlander has been whining and bitching about IJS since at least 2008 and has her own blog about saving figure skating. In 2008 Monica was whinging about the death of the K&C because she had apparently had trouble counting and wanted her 6.0's back because math is too much for her pretty little head to grasp.

Honestly Monica (and you must read this forum) it's time to educate yourself and move forward. 6.0 is gone, deal with it and get over it. It's people like you that are ruining figure skating.

22. bek

bek Guest

No not at all... I didn't even know about it till right now...Hilarious!
    Whats done is done in terms of marks. I find it hilarious though... I'm not the type to start petitions. And as for no evidence there was cheating, well did anyone even attempt to look for cheating. The little I know of Salt Lake is that some judged leaned very hard on that French judge to get her to break after if I understand. Maybe she's just crazy too who knows.

But Denis I doubt has powerful people on HIS side to do the same. I'm sorry I have a hard time thinking politics played absolutely no role in this. I suspect there was nothing abnormal about Salt Lake.

The sport could save itself a lot of heartache if it introduced mandatory deductions in P/E and further penalties on falls. Given how subjective this sport is....Not having these things and results like Chan's win hurts its credibility.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

The result isn't automatically unfair just because many people were not happy with it......the system is flawed in that it tries to both reward technical content and risk, while also rewarding quality. They don't penalize mistakes enough because they don't want 2010 all over again where safe performances win the gold. Now flawed performances are winning gold so I'm sure revisions will follow. It was the rules and the system that allowed Patrick to win, not politics.

I'm sorry though, but it is absolutely a crock of shit that people just label the result as "politically determined" or "a judging controversy". I will not be signing this petition.

In the end I just feel bad for Patrick. If any of you guys actually knew anything about him, you'd know that he doesn't drink up the results and think he's the best thing since sliced bread. He feels he's the skater that everyone hates, and all he wants to do is have people appreciate his skating (which he obviously works really hard at). Instead, he's almost unanimously hated for results which he has no control over. Try doing what you love and trying to be the best YOU can be and having the entire skating world hate you because you skate, and just so happen to achieve results which many deem unfair.

Poor guy. I'm not a fan/uber, but I feel really bad for the guy. I simply appreciate his skating and empathize with the situation he's thrown into. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute will ya? FYI I know one of his trainers whom he works with on a weekly basis.

24. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

WOW :eek:
    people are actually that pissed off about this?

25. bek

bek Guest

I don't blame Patrick for the results. But Patrick brings on some criticism when he makes comments like Denis made as many mistakes as him. He'd be better off saying I'm not the judges, than saying haha my competition must be kicking themself, and they made as many mess ups as me. What he said about Denis was frankly not true.

Still though you feel sorry for Patrick, what about the other skaters. When Patrick's consistently winning with all of these mistakes, what does it tell the other skaters? It tells them why bother showing up.

Still though the ISU brings these questions on themselves, because other skaters I'm sorry get hit much harder on PCS when they mess up. That's the problem. Why does Dai get hit about 5 points and Chan only 3? Its hard for me to cynically think politics played absolutely no role in this one. I don't buy it. The sport has to much history of playing political games.

Patrick though shouldn't be asked to defend the judging.

And at this point while I won't sign it because the results were made. If fans don't speak up it won't change.

26. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I am a fan, not an uber fan though, but I feel sorry for the guy. I was in the arena for the long program and groaned when the final results came up. I knew all this would happen.

27. SGrand

SGrand New Member

This.
    I am no saint, but I really, really try to reserve judgement of people and situations etc. because we honestly never know how we would act in those same ones until we are "in their shoes". And we would probably all act quite differently anyway......even surprising ourselves sometimes. I can't even begin to imagine what a sports star or famous actor or singer goes through in their daily life.

28. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I hope ISU release some documentation on why Patrick's scores were fair given the current system, and throw in some snark like the White House did with those petitions to build a Death Star or to release info on Alien collaborations.

It's people like this who buys that crap that is killing figure skating.

29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Like, ZOMG!, you guyz, this petition is going to force the ISU to strip P.Chiddy of his World gold for realz; all the shady, skandal :EVILLE: filled shenanigans of the ISU will come to an end ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! ................:rollin:

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The French judge was telling other judges in the fall who was going to win the Olympic gold medal. It wasn't just the events at the Olympics that were suspicious.

The fact that there was politicking probably wasn't abnormal. But the skaters didn't perform in ways that supported the predetermined outcomes, and that's what blew the whole thing open. That was abnormal.