Australians, iphone 4, and Skype?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by myhoneyhoney, Jun 22, 2011.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

My uncle just purchased his first cell phone ever (he's in his mid-60's and kinda scared of technology so give him a break please :lol:) It's the iphone 4 and he's all excited to use it. He's my fave uncle and he and I can chat for-e-ver but considering I'm in Cali, that would be a pretty big bill. It would be great to have him to the phone while skating comps are on because he LOVES skating as much as me! I use skype to call his land line but I'm wondering if he can download skype on his cell and we'd be able to chat for a much cheaper rate? I have a Droid and I have no idea how iphones work. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated!

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I don't have an iphone but I am pretty sure he can get a Skype application for it to use on it. Which will apply to Australia.

Where does he live here?

3. myhoneyhoney

he's in Brisbane. I hope he can get Skype!

4. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

myhoneyhoney - yep, he can. I have an Australian iPhone 4, which has a Chinese SIM at the moment. I have my Aussie SIM card cut and ready for when I am home in a week :cheer2: Skype works well China-Australia and within China using both Edge and WiFi and using both Skype to phone number and Skype to Skype calls. I am yet to try within Australia and Australia-China, but I don't think it will be a problem.

5. myhoneyhoney

Thank you, Angelskates! So if he get the Skype Mobile app he can use that to call MY Skype account for free or does he have to purchase a subscription?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Found this thread: if he has Skype Mobile and you have Skype (regular or mobile) he should be able to call you for free if both of you are logged on to Skype at the same time. Worked well for me on my US iPhone when I was traveling in Australia recently. :)

Also, for you Aussies and anyone who follows AFL - here's a new vBet! :bribe:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79665

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Did you have a good time in Australia? Do you like Aussie Rules? :)