Australian dispute over women's Olympic spot to have Court of Arbitration (CAS) hearing

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Is there any official date about when the decision of CAS will come out and when the official spot will be given?

This is ridiculous. Han went to Worlds last season and skated well. She went to Nebelhorn this season and skated well, well enough to be the top qualifier and grabbed a Sochi spot for Australia. In their last head to head at 2013 4CCs, Han beat Kerry by over 16 points.

What a tactless appeal. I hope no one gets to go if Han doesn't.

And again this is why I hate per country rules. If everyone was fighting to qualify for themselves instead of for their country, something like this would never happen. Kerry didn't contribute one thing to qualifying Australia's spot. It was all Han. Why should she get benefit from someone else's work and especially after she threw her under the bus?!

2. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Nominations by Ice Skating Australia must be received by the AOC by 5pm AEST on Wednesday 22 January 2014, but "if Australia qualifies a quota place(s) at the ISU Olympic Qualifying Competition, then Ice Skating Australia will nominate the Athlete(s) who qualified the quota place subject to the Athlete(s) having met the requirements of clause 2(1) by no later than 19 January 2014;"

From here.

Shame Brooklee needs to spend the Christmas/holiday season not knowing…

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I posted an article excerpt earlier: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...tion-hearing&p=4069410&viewfull=1#post4069410

4. Angelskates

That's not an official date though, that's a "hope". Nominations don't have to be given until late January, and therefore there may also still be time for additional appeals (especially if Brooklee loses her spot; she can also appeal I think, or Chantelle could come up with something else). It needs to be finalised by late January, the hope is that it is done before Christmas.

5. Sylvia

You're assuming the worst; I'm trying to be optimistic. :)

6. Angelskates

;) I'm thinking worst case scenario, so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised!

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You know…this line makes it sound like you're defending Kerry not because she's Kerry but because she's Australian. It's like you think the criticisms or insults (depending on how you look at it) are directed at Australia itself, which I don't think is the case. I understand defending your nation, but that's a bit of a leap to think criticizing Kerry is a criticism of Australia.

I also find your line about not faulting her for wanting to do everything possible to get to the Olympics but then faulting her for how she's going about it to be contradictory. I mean you fault her for the way she's going about it, then you are able to fault her for doing everything she can to go to the Olympics since filing this appeal to CAS is part of doing everything she can. Unless you mean she don't like the way she's filing the appeal, which I don't get.

8. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

The Kerry family has to be careful. If they are claiming that Han is ineligible because she is not Australian, then the Olympic spot will not go to Chantelle, Australia will lose it's spot completely because it would have made Brooklee ineligible for Nebelhorn Trophy in the first place.

9. Angelskates

This appeal has nothing to do with citizenship. Brooklee being Australian is not in question, she's Australian. Whether she was eligible to compete for Australia is what is being questioned. They're not the same thing, though the end result may be the same (Australia could lose its spot).

10. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Thats what i meant

11. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I think the per country rules are fine so long as the federation lays out the Olympic season selection criteria clearly.

For example, Nicole Rajicova's form this season is far better than Monica Simancikova so Rajicova should be getting Slovak Republic's one Olympic spot even though Simancikova earned the spot at 2013 Worlds.

12. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

There would be other things people would be complaining about though.

13. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

No surprise there. Even if Nationals has no bearing on Olympic selection it would still look bad for Kerry to be trounced by Han at their own Championships while this dispute is going on. I'm glad Brooklee had the guts to show anyway. :shuffle:

Sure she was sick. :rolleyes:

^^^
    THIS! I can't believe that someone actually brought up the Harding incident (without mentioning her by name), making some snarky remark that 'at least THEY' never did that almost as if to justify the actions of Chantelle Kerry's camp against Brooklee Han. How low can one go?

^^^
    THIS! Thank you! It's like 'I'm going to take a swipe at this other country since you're attacking mine'. Ridiculous.

Thank you - I tend to believe someone like you more than someone who seems emotionally involved with Ms. Kerry and her camp.

ITA. That's exactly how that catty sideswipe about Harding came off. Bringing something up that happened decades ago to defend the Kerry's actions against Han who deserves to enjoy the thrill of making the Olympic team like every other athlete who EARNED it.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sasha'sSpins obviously off her medication today. What an aggressive little thing you are.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Sasha'sSpins

Those who make personal attacks simply have lost the debate. I have nothing further to say to you.

16. Aussie Willy

Oh sweetie I have received enough personal attacks on this forum over the years that are 100% more vitrolic than mine, including racist ones. Unless they are really offensive though I let it slide.

Anyway have a nice life. You are on the ignore list.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  17. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You are certainly entitled to express your opinion here, but so is everyone else, as long as we all observe the TOS. No one is forcing you to keep reading this thread, and if it upsets you that much, perhaps you should resist the temptation to read new posts.

I have to say that the level of vitriol directed to Chantelle Kerry and her parents in this thread is far lower than what I have seen directed against Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek, among others, in other threads and probably reflects the fact that she is still quite young.

18. Sasha'sSpins

Agreed.

I just hope that this controversy is resolved quickly and in Han's favor. Brooklee earned that spot to Sochi for Australia and she deserves it. It's unfortunate that she's had to face such opposition at least twice in her career from the same parties whose agenda seems to be to keep Brooklee down while they help advance Chantelle's career over hers by any means fair or unfair. And I liked Chantelle too, I especially love her "Alice in Wonderland" LP which is still a favorite of mine, but the behavior of the Kerry camp against Han has just been unseemly.

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That was a really stunning program.

20. Sasha'sSpins

Yes it was. I even favorited Chantelle's 4CC's performance of 'Alice' on my youtube account. I thought it was enchanting. Ot but I can't help thinking that the 2010-11 Mirai might have been able to skate to that music and made it something really special.

21. Sasha'sSpins

Congratulations to Brooklee Han! Now that the CAS has made it's decision, Han will skate in the Olympic spot that she rightfully earned. I hope that Chantelle, if she really wants it, works hard these next few years to earn a berth all on her own to the 2018 Olympics.

22. Sylvia

23. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Poor poor Chantelle and her mother ... they wanted to get her there so badly they were willing to go out and deliberately challenge the verification of her competition instead of competing for a spot.

Maybe the mother, who was DEAD LAST in Ice Dancing in Calgary with EMBARSSINGLY BAD TECHNIQUE (I was there!) also wants her daughter to know how it feels to represent your country and represent just how bad you are in comparison to the rest of the world. This girl Kerry was 40th in the world last year.....
    need anyone else say more?

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Eh, Bin Yao and Luan Bo were dead last in Dortmund, and they were reported to have had embarrassingly bad technique their coaches learned from grainy Soviet films. That didn't stop him from being an expert coach, and he had the advantage of a system that was state-supported in a very populous country where athletes in more than the usual professional sports are revered.

Congratulations to Han! I'm just sorry that the moment of being announced the Olympic team with her teammates was ruined by Kerry's CAS case, and that she was under the stress of having multiple hearings hover over her future. In that sense, she's lucky to train half a world away from the fray.

25. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I always try not to respond to you (don't feed the trolls and all that), but I really must object to this. Have you ever SEEN Chantelle Kerry skate? She is beautiful. It's true she's no Yuna Kim (Chantelle actually points her toes!), but her skating is lovely, fluid and certainly not the worst in the world.

Australian skaters do NOT get the same opportunities as other skaters to go out and compete. Everything in Europe or America is simply too far and too expensive. It's hard. Brooklee probably has it a little easier because her training base is in the US, thereby enabling easier access to more competitions. But just because you seem to have taken a hatred of her for fighting for an Olympic spot, doesn't mean Chantelle is a bad skater.

26. Aussie Willy

I agree. Totally uncalled for comment. I do not get what the point of saying those kinds of things is meant to do except be nasty and vindictive. And at the end of the day they say more about the poster than the person they are commenting on.

Time to move on and wish Brooklee all the best for the Olympics.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I agree! Sheer nastiness!:rolleyes:

28. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Yes, what Team Kerry tried to do was bad and horribly petty but come on? Damn...

29. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

I hope Chantelle can now act more graciously toward her brother and give him more support then she did in Melbourne!

30. Aussie Willy

Hmmm now why would someone say that?