Australian dispute over women's Olympic spot to have Court of Arbitration (CAS) hearing

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 3, 2013.

1. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Chantelle's twitter bio says "AUS born, raised and livin'!" I wonder if there is some bitterness that Brooklee was born and has lived her whole life in the U.S.

https://twitter.com/chantelle_kerry

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point & I wonder if her twitter always said that or if she updated it the past few months. One benefit to representing Australia is that you still have 3 sports available for 4CC so as long as you make the technical minimums, you at least get a chance to attend an ISU championship. Which is more than can be said for skaters in smaller European countries.

3. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

But isn't Brendan living and training in the US now? I thought Tammi Gambill was his coach and he's made tremendous improvements with her. Anyhow, on another note, the fact that Team Kerry has decided to go thruough with this makes me think if they don't have any other "insider" information that is not known that makes them as well as their attorneys and whomever else they have on this think that CAS would rule differently.

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

But Brendan just moved there and was born and raised (just no longer "livin!") in Australia. Brooklee could have competed for the U.S., as she was born and raised in the U.S., but I imagine her team thought Australia was a better bet.

To be clear: I think this situation is ridiculous and the spot belongs to Brooklee.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I can definitely understand that. Since the Olympics are all about "national pride," living elsewhere while competing for a country you never live in and weren't born in seems disingenuous (even though Brooklee is not breaking any rules.) It doesn't seem like as big of a deal for countries with hardly any competitors, like Azerbaijan or Lithuania. When there's a small competitive contingent between native-born citizens residing in Australia vs. those who just have citizenship, I can see why Chantelle would be angry. Although the lawsuit is a bit overboard.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

But such children often can't stand up to their parents when they turn 18 either.

My objection to the "she's just a minor" argument is a general one to what I often see on this board. Which is if a skater who is 16 or older does something people approve of, it's all on them. But as soon as they do something people disapprove of, they get defended with "they're just a minor!" or, if they are 18 or older, we get "they are young!" I think that you can't blame everything Kerry does that you don't like on her parents while giving her credit for everything you do like.

In this case, I very much doubt her parents filed this suit against her will. Or, if they did, that they would have bowed to her wishes if she were 18 and a half and not 17 and a half. I do think that 17.5 is old enough to bear responsibility for training decisions and that includes things like trying to get another skater disqualified from a spot you want at the Olympics.

7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Chantelle needs to channel her anger differently, i.e., towards positivity and her training to be the BEST her country has to offer, so she doesn't have to resort to methods such as these to gain a competitive spot.

O-

Willowway and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Chantelle's biggest problem is that she can't just shut up and skate. Because her skating just isn't good enough. She had an opportunity to automatically make the team at SDU and she didn't. So now she's trying everything else, because her skating isn't good enough. I think she's channelling her anger and bitterness towards Brooklee and her growing up in the US, because she's pissed her skating can't do the talking.

It really bugs me when people see Australians born and/or living elsewhere as "less" Australian. I've lived overseas for more than a decade, and would take Chinese citizenship if it meant not loosing my Australian citizenship; I would certainly apply for permanent residency if I could because it would make my life a lot easier, but I am no less Australian. I'm hugely proud to be Australian. I don't (can't) vote, and I am no longer required to pay taxes in Australia. I also love China and will likely work here my working life. I know plenty of dual citizens and they are proudly citizens of both countries, but use whatever passport is most useful at the time (and cheer for whatever team is winning, mostly :p) - good for them!

9. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! I wish that she had an equally smart person on her team prevail with that approach. She would certainly be better served by it.

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You are delusional. Unless you meant statements like "Chantelle, who is not a very appealing skater or competitor to watch" as compliments.

11. eurodance2001

Link to all results: http://www.isa.org.au/Results/2013_AFSC/result.htm (I think Sylvia might have provided this already, but here it is again)

Interesting to see the composition of the Tech team for the ladies. All except one are from NSW; isn't that where Kerry is from? I wonder if any of them are from her own rink.. I mention this only because someone a bit ago mentioned that NATIONALLY Kerry was favored over Han and that person was quickly dismissed. I'm wondering now if there is/was any truth to their assertions.. Hmm.. We will know very soon how this plays out and hopefully in the next few weeks the CAS decision. ISA has already affirmed their support of Han so who knows...

12. Angelskates

Nationals has no bearing at all on the Olympic placement.

13. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I agree you can't have it both ways, and I agree that if you can't stand up to parents/authority figures by the time you're 17 it won't miraculously happen at 18 - speaking from personal experience here lol. I think my point is I was so very much under the will of my mother that I had no will, no voice of my own, not even internally. There is no personal will, there's only trying to please. Whether this applies to Chantelle of not I have no idea. I do know that people grow up (or not) differently and in an deal world it might be nice if all 17.5 year olds were able to take responsibility for their world, and to say a very clear 'no' when appropriate, but that's not how the world is. I don't know Chantelle or her parents or her team, I just can understand how a 17 yr old would be still under the thrall of all the adults around her running her life. I doubt she hatched this plan.

14. Angelskates

She did decide what she had on her twitter bio, though. And yes I believe it's a dig at Brooklee.

15. alilou

This. I will never stop being an Aussie, even though I too don't vote or pay taxes in Oz, have 2 passports, and have lived in Canada for 30 years. I'm Canadian too :cheer2: it doesn't make less Australian.

16. alilou

Oh yes, I agree. From what I'm reading I not saying Chantelle's an angel. Sounds like a 17 yr old to me. And I don't give her a free pass. It does look to me as if she's behaving badly, but who are her role models?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Angelskates

There are plenty of positive role models around. We choose who to model, IMO, especially at her age, based on what we want and who we are, and what we want to be, what we seek. It's not as if her mother (and let's face it, we're talking her, since she's the coach, the former skater) is her only option. She's old enough, and able enough, to find a role model that supports her views. We're talking a girl who has been in the media, she done spots on TV (network 10), she's got options and is not choosing wisely. She's as desperate as her team, IMO.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  18. alilou

Some 17 yr olds are clear and strong and able to make choices for themselves from a place of inner strength and integrity, some are not. I agree she's as desperate as her team - at least it appears that way - and I agree she appears to be making bad choices. I also think that if she actually really were able to find and follow a better role model she probably would, but then I believe that everyone who makes bad choices, whatever their age, would do better if they could. I also know that at 17 it wouldn't have occurred to me to be seeking out better role models. I was still a child.

19. eurodance2001

I know that; did I say it did? Anyway.. Let's see what happens at Nationals and then in two weeks CAS. Who was that poster that stated that Kerry is favored NATIONALLY over Han? I would like to PM them.

20. Angelskates

Why would she seek better role models? Her current ones are what she wants. She obviously thinks they can help her get what she wants (an Olympic spot). ISA provides (compulsory IIRC) counselling to all high level skaters who are/were team hopefuls, and monitoring and meetings are done to inform of the processes and discuss issues etc. OWI also provides counselling and psychology services IIRC. She's had options to deal with her disappointment; instead she behaving like an entitled, spoilt brat, not an elite athlete.

21. eurodance2001

ITA.. And shame on her parents for obviously being enablers..

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Brendan Kerry article (it doesn't mention he is currently coached by Tammy Gambill in Riverside, California) - excerpt from the end: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8766238

23. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

I have only a very casual knowledge of Australian skating, or of this particular situation, and so am more comfortable not offering an opinion.

However, I do agree with you on your general point. That is to say, if it is not reasonable to treat seventeen (and a half) year olds on the basis of an expectation that they have already developed a capacity for independent thought and action, and have grown at least a minimally serviceable conscience and moral sense, then on what basis do we allow them, only a few months later, to do such adult things as to vote, and to serve in the armed forces?

I'm all for viewing the actions of those who are essentially young adults through the mitigating lens of inexperience, but to completely insulate them from moral responsibility is to patronize and infantilize them, something that most seventeen (and a half) year olds will be the first to protest.

24. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I don't know either girl or their parents. My comment about being a minor was put in the same light as many other discussions we've had on this board regarding those under 18. We've also had many discussions about how the magical number of 18 doesn't automatically make one wise and all-knowing. My point is that the girl is young and may very well be strongly influenced by some people around her. Many very young people are easily influenced and it may not have taken much being said for Ms. Kerry to start believing she had been truly wronged, especially if it were parents or other adults she trusts/respects telling her this. I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle...

25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Speculating here.

After this event, Han and her team would normally have returned home to train in preparation for Four Continents, and any competitions (potentially including the Olympics, Junior Worlds and Worlds) after that. With the CAS hearing scheduled for next week, she and her team are not only losing precious training time, for anyone that has had to amend long distance travel plans at short notice, it is probably costing Han and her team thousands of dollars more to change air fares and accommodation.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  26. eurodance2001

If I were the Han's, if they win this case, I would sue the Kerry's for all the change fees they may have incurred because of this just to spite them..

27. Angelskates

I highly doubt any of Chantelle's young fans have any idea what is going on.

I wonder if they thought through the possibility of Australia not having a spot, though. If Brooklee is found to have been not eligible to skate, Australia's spot should be forfeited, not given to Chantelle. It would not be fair to the other countries to just give the spot to someone else from Australia if Australia's skater didn't earn the spot fairly (by being eligible to skate for it).

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Based on what evidence? I don't think we have any idea whose plan this was, who is pushing whom, etc. None of us are insiders into Team C. Kerry (to distinguish from Team B. Kerry) or ISA skating. All we know is there is a complaint. We don't know how it got to this point though or even what the evidence is. Heck, we don't even know what competition it was that Han skated at supposedly without permission.

29. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Yeah, counter-claims! :lynch:

But seriously, I hope Brooklee has a good support system around her. It mustn't be easy to deal with litigation like this at a young age, when so much is at stake (i.e. you have been working your whole life up to this point, to fulfill the dream. the dream is almost a reality and you can almost touch it, but others are trying to take it away).

30. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

It is believed to be the 2013 Hershey Open.