Australian dispute over women's Olympic spot to have Court of Arbitration (CAS) hearing

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 3, 2013.

1. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

What if the appeal is based on Han not skating the competition that was to determine the Australian representative at Nebelhorn and then being given the spot anyways - could Han be declared ineligible on that basis which would seem to allow Australia to keep the Olympic berth but disqualify Han from skating because she was chosen in violation of the federation rules - not sure I've correctly followed all the twists in this saga.

2. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

V. interesting. But I think the Australian federation set some clear rules ... as in, Kerry would have to score a certain number of points at Skate Down Under before being picked.

This whole saga is getting out of hand! (At the moment, it all sounds as though Kerry is trying to take away Brooklee's dream.) Too bad arbitration proceedings are confidential, as I would love to sit in and listen to the lawyers' submissions!!!!!

3. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

It could, only Brooklee was not at SDU because she was ill, and Chantelle was given a chance to automatically qualify to skate for a spot by getting above the score stated, but she didn't. This argument is a better one for Australia, though. But she's picking a straws if she first says one reason (skating at Hersey) and then another (not at SDU) and none of them related to Chantelle actually argue for herself to go, rather against Brooklee going. That's what's terrible IMO.

I think it's too late to give Chantelle the spot. She argued that she should have gone to skate for a spot, she lost. I think it's too late now to argue she should go, because she didn't get the spot. It's impossible to say whether we would have a spot had Chantelle gone (though I doubt it). What we do know is that Brooklee went, she won a spot, and therefore it should be hers. Australia either looses the spot :)() or Brooklee goes, IMO.

4. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the time for objecting over not being selected for Nebelhorn has long since passed. That dispute needed to be resolved when there was still time to change that decision (iow, before Nebelhorn). Besides, that issue was already raised and the appeals board ruled against her. She can't just keep raising the same issue over and over. As initially described, the new complaint is based on the argument that Han has somehow lost her Australian eligibility by skating in a US club event without her Federation's advance permission (or something like that).

5. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Sigh ... it's only a (presumably) silly little club event. I just doubt whether the Federation's permission is so fundamental when it comes to club competitions. In any event, I doubt whether Brooklee had any clues about the need to obtain the permission etc.,

One way or the other, Brooklee's preparation is now being affected and she's already missing out on the opportunities associated with announcement of the Olympic team e.g. attending press conferences. It all appears v. sad.

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She would need over 130 points in order to secure a spot and she only got this kind of score once over the last two seasons IIRC, at Skate Down Under (where her PCS were much higher than what she usually gets).

What is nasty and disturbing is team Kerry trying to take away a spot from another skater who has earned it fair and square. And not once but twice.

If Kerry thinks she deserves to go to Olympics, she has had plenty of opportunities to beat Han in competition and to earn a higher average score. She has never managed either. She doesn't have a leg to stand on, so she's trying to get Han ineligible based on technicalities. Very classy.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I hope this gets resolved quickly and favorably so Brooklee can focus on her Olympic preparation and not have this distraction hanging over her. I always felt the 2006 controversy with Manzano played a role in Joannr Carter not making it to the freeskate in Turin.

8. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I think, until we know otherwise, it might be classy to give this young lady, who is a minor, the benefit of the doubt in that it well may be the adults around her who have pushed this challenge.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Bittersweet result for Sochi skate selection: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-skate-selection/story-e6frg7mf-1226775450193
    Excerpt (sentence bolded by me):

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Team Kerry would include the adults around her. If they want her to be in Sochi so bad, they should pay for her spectator ticket to watch Brendan. As for Brooklee, after all this is over and she hopefully goes to Olympics and Worlds, she should consider being done. It's obvious this drama with Team Kerry will simply continue. They seem obsessed actually. Not a very positive competition environment.

11. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

She may be a minor but she's not 2. Or even 12. In fact, she's 17 and a half. Which means she will stop being a minor in less than a year. Her cooperation is very much required in order for this complaint to go forward so to act like she's not complicit in these events is a bit disingenuous IMO.

Lanna, OliviaPug, Robeye and 3 others like this.
  13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

How can Kerry argue that Brooklee Han did not have the federation's approval with the federation supporting Han? It doesn't even make any sense.

14. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

ITA. Kerry should, "Shut Up and Skate."

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I hope that all this isn't going to affect Brooklee Han's skating too much and she can give a performance at the Australian Nationals (and I hope later on the Olympics) that she is going to be proud of.

Yes. She's not a child and she surely knows the difference between right and wrong.

16. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Because she's arguing ineligiblility, I hope Australia doesn't loose our spot altogether. Really truly sour grapes.

17. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

This whole thing is just nasty/sad...

18. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yeah. Like that parent who was trying to get Tanith kicked out of 2006 Olympics when BA won the spots.

19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Chantelle but isn't it up to the federation to send whomever they decide once the spot has been garnered? For example, Ashley and Gracie won the three women's spots back, but they are not guaranteed to make the team unless they perform well at nationals.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The Australian federation's published selection policy (linked earlier in this thread) states that the skaters who qualified Olympic spots at 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Brooklee Han, Brendan Kerry, Danielle O'Brien/Greg Merriman) are the ones who go to the Sochi Olympics unless they become ill or injured.

ETA:
    If I did my time conversion properly, the Senior Ladies SP is scheduled to start at 2:30 am Eastern time (Kerry skates #1, Han #7 of 9). Link to the Australian FS Championships thread in Kiss and Cry where results/video links are being posted: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88431-2013-Australian-Figure-Skating-Championships

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

What seems to be common is that at least one parent is involved. Apart from that, the two situations are not the same. No one was trying to take away Belbin's eligibility or claiming that she was being treated as eligible when she was not, because until legislation passed and she had a passport, she was not eligible for the Olympics. The Mitchells were trying to stop her from becoming eligible in time, so that their son and his partner could skate at the Olympics. And while the emphasis was on B/A, it was also to block Zavozin, because Matthews/Zavozin were more direct competition for Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell, and G-R/M would have realistically needed two teams above them to be ineligible.

The ISA *has* already chose its Sochi representative, ie, whoever earned a spot at Nebelhorn, or Han.

22. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

I totally disagree. BH is only 10-11 months older than CK. BH should STAY and ALWAYS try to beat Kerry out for any assignments Australia will have in the future. That would be the "revenge", that Brooklee will always be chosen for Oly/Worlds over Kerry their entire careers. Brooklee is simply A LOT better than CK.

"Team" Kerry can be described with a long list of explicatives, but they will be most disturbed by Brooklee ALWAYS being better than Chantelle, who is not a very appealing skater or competitor to watch or choose to represent Australia.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I think Chantelle Kerry has some very nice qualities in her skating from the videos I've watched.

Brooklee Han has been accepted at Wesleyan University in Connecticut and deferred her entrance so she could focus on the Olympic season. Here's a recent local CT article on Brooklee Han that I posted in the Aussie Skating thread: http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/sports/redding-skater-awaits-word-olympic-bid-australia
    Excerpt:
    If she decides to continue competing for Australia after this season, I imagine her motivation would come more from a desire to further improve her skating and not "revenge."

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I agree & think it's important to keep things separate. Chantelle's improved a lot even compared to a year ago and she could potentially get even better in the future. No idea wtf she hopes to accomplish with this appeal, besides losing some goodwill in the process, but her skating itself is actually quite good & I enjoy watching her skate. I know there are no guarantees in skating, but her rate of progress the past 2 years bodes well for her chances in 2018. Hopefully she can start focusing on improving her own skating even more going forward and move on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYvZDrWGbHg

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

What exactly were you going to explain about Kerry?

Or, given the general and very unnecessary nastiness of your post, perhaps you meant "expletives".

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

Can we please start dissociating a little? We know that Chantelle is involved and that at least one of the parents is. But there is no evidence so far that Brendan is complicit in any of this. So can we please not refer to them as a unit?

27. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

No, I meant what I typed. Many explanations could be applied to how this matter has been handled by her side. However, I also agree that expletives would also apply.

And do you know what? My post was not nasty at all except to the hypersensitive gentEEEEEEL. I was advocating for BH to stay skating for Australia and stay competitive and develop a career out of always beating CK in competition.

That is not nasty at all. I disagree strongly with your assessment.

28. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I have to say I disagree with this, being the child of a very domineering parent. No way would I have defied my mother at 17. I am not saying that either or both Chantelle's parents are domineering (for want of a better word) since I know nothing about them, or even if this fight has been instigated by them, but certainly my own experience of being seventeen was not one of being able to stand up to any kind of authority. Not all seventeen year olds are created equal.

29. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

OK, this is true. CK and her parents have behaved abominably toward Brooklee. I think it is out of jealously that this complaint is being made, with CK knowing BH is a much better skater than she is who will always be chosen ahead of her.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think that brough Brendan into it. Team Kerry would be the team that manages Chantelle- her coaches, parents, and if she has one publicist.