Australian dispute over women's Olympic spot to have Court of Arbitration (CAS) hearing

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 3, 2013.

1. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

I more than agree. But this is not bizarre. Many young people of her generation, particularly in tne country I live, the USA, suffer greatly from overblown self entitlement. It is so prevalent it is being studied by Psychologists,

This insufferable skater, Kerry, should be rooting for Lee to earn a second spot so she has a chance of going, or, get out there and BEAT her for the spot. You know, compete, but no, she has to try and do it in court or to rattle Han into poor performances through pressure.

I know I get a bad rep here for being "nasty", and this is just bait! LOL I will just say SHAME ON HER and her entire team. Or as we say on the ice, "SHUT UP AND SKATE!"

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The Associated Press article states:
    "Appeals tribunal appeal" is not the same as CAS, so it's possible the first article I posted at the beginning of this thread was wrong on that point. I'll try and get the "2nd" removed from my thread title. ETA: Thanks to the admin. who has since edited the original thread title at my request.

Excerpt from Ice Skating Australia's (ISA) Constitution:
    http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Rulebook/ISA Rulebook - V-8 - Constitution.pdf

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Without wanting to stir up trouble, could the root of all this be that Skate DownUnder was supposed to be used to choose the Nebelhorn spots? Chantelle skated at SDU, Brooklee didn't, but had done the local US comp not long before. If Chantelle was told that SDU was the selection competition, she turned up and won, and then the ISA has given the spot to Brooklee against their advice of the selection criteria, then I can see that Chantelle could be justifiably angry.

IIRC wasn't it in the inverse in 2006? Miriam wasn't told that 4CC would be the comp and not Nationals?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Sylvia

This came up in the Aussie Skating thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?84567-Aussie-Skating&p=4038567&viewfull=1#post4038567
    Illness was the official reason given for Han's WD from Skate DownUnder.

ETA link to an article I posted in the 2013 Skate DownUnder thread in Kiss and Cry back in August: http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/skaters-light-up-sydney
    Relevant excerpt:
    Brooklee Han's most recent international was last month's Volvo Open Cup in Latvia, which she won with a total score of 151.76 (doesn't count as her new ISU PB because it's a Senior B):
    SP: 53.95 30.71 (TES) 23.24 5.80 5.55 6.00 5.80 5.90 0.00 #16
    FS: 97.81 50.09 (TES) 48.72 6.15 5.75 6.10 6.10 6.35 1.00 #16

5. just wondering

just wondering Member

Without having seen Chantelle's official complaint, I'm thinking that her argument may be a bit problematic for her if her goal is to go to the Olympics.

If Chantelle's argument is that Han lost or voided her ISA eligibility when she skated at a US summer competition (Hershey?), then it follows that Han was ineligible to secure the Olympic spot at Neblehorn because she was no longer an ISA member at the Neblehorn event. Therefore, Australia failed to secure a spot for the Olympics, as no ISA representative earned an Olympic minimum score.

Now, if Chantelle's goal is to prevent Han from going, regardless of whether Chantelle goes, then her complaint makes a little more sense to me. Otherwise, Chantelle's assertion forces Australia to forfeit its Olympic spot, and no one goes.

What am I missing . . . .

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes, if we follow that logic then Australia shouldn't have an Olympic spot in the first place...

7. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 Member

This is appalling, chantelles team is doing her an injustice by persuing such an invalid and unjustified claim to an Olympic spot! Perhaps it's time they acknowledged how lucky Chantelle was to go to the youth Olympics, a spot qualified by Han who was to old to go herself. Chantelle had the same opportunity to secure a spot and didn't do it! Chantelle does not have the technical score Brooklee has and it's time for a big reality check for team Kerry!! Chantelle is a developing skater, BUT she is not Olympic material yet!! How about she works as hard as she can for the next 4 years and earns her country a spot for 2018, then let's hope no one does this to her!!

8. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The ugliness of ugly. shame. Agree with "just wondering" 's point. Can't have it both ways

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's very true, but that doesn't mean we can't have an opinion about it. ;)

I find it hilarious that Chantelle wants the Olympic spot that Brooklee earned at Nebelhorn for herself. Talk about lack of sportsmanship.

10. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

finally watched her performance at 4CC this year on youtube.

nice style, good ina bauer, interesting inverted (?) sit spin ... but DEAR OH DEAR, wonky jumping technique and it doesn't seem as though any of the jumps are consistent. Brooklee Han is miles, miles ahead technically ....

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This is disgusting and unsportsmanlike. Doesn't really embody the spirit of the Olympic Games now, does it?

12. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Poor Brooklee :(

Any idea on when the CAS will hear/rule on this case?

13. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Just for the record, Chantelle, your ISU PB score would put you 14th at Nebelhorn 2013.

And its not like she is one of those skaters who is much better than her ISU PB. So its very possible that Australia would not have the spot if Chantelle had competed for it. :shuffle: She would be better off just trying to improve her jumps and win Nationals than do this nonsense. Not that I condone it, but even Tonya Harding's team had a more logical line of thinking :scream: Well, then again, not really, because its not as if Nancy was Tonya's only competition at the Olympics. Nevermind I take it back, Tonya's team was VERY stupid also.

14. Sylvia

If we're playing with numbers... Chantelle Kerry's season best total score was 137.56 at 2013 Skate DownUnder in September, followed by 127.52 at Nepela Trophy (neither Senior B score is counted by the ISU). The 6th place finisher (Brazil's Isadora Williams) in the Olympic qualifying competition at 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy scored 130.08.

To be fair, that was not one of her better performances. Kerry's ISU personal best FS score (81.02) was set at this year's JGP in Gdansk, Poland (the week after her win at Skate DownUnder): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYvZDrWGbHg

ETA:
    I agree with you, BUT... this is a (mostly anonymous) Internet forum and it is inevitable that some people will be "jumping to assumptions or making judgements" without knowing all the facts in the case because we're not privy to them. I personally don't like to see any young skater being bashed on the Internet.

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Chantelle Kerry would do well to review the Olympic oath:

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/JOH/JOHv3n1/JOHv3n1c.pdf

At this point, even if Brooklee Han couldn't compete, I think ISA would be extremely reluctant to send someone who fails to demonstrate the true spirit of sportsmanship.

No one is forcing you to read the posts in this thread or, for that matter, anything on FSU. You are certainly entitled to your views, but so is everyone else here. Telling people from outside Australia that they have no right to express their opinions, however, is disrespectful and xenophobic.

Precisely!

Chantelle :blah:

17. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Here's hoping CAS nips this ASAP and rules in favor of Brooklee. And if they don't, that Australia loses their spot entirely.

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Honestly, by the time Jo Carter was allowed to compete in 2006, she was pretty clearly affected by the whole controversy and didn't skate well at all in the short program. The sooner this gets sorted out the better. For everyone involved.
    And, at least back in 2006 I understood where Miriam was coming from since she was already 29-30 and that was her last shot at the Olympics. Chantelle is all of 17 which only makes the whole process more :confused:

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

BTW, is this Chantelle Kerry's doing, or is the appeal mostly her parents' decision?

20. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Chantelle Kerry is my favorite Obskure Oceanian Skater (and will probably remain so :p). That said, I don't wish her any success in this dispute.

21. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Just because Chantelle is a Grammy winning recording artist doesn't mean she's something special. :mad:

22. falling_dance

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

:lol: Wiki edits.

24. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

Now you have me really thinking here. It is required for non US skaters to have approval letters to skate in US competitions. My thought is that if Brook skated without the approval, then I could see this court ruling in Kerry's favor. If they do, then Australia will loose their slot to the Olympics. What country would get that slot? Who is next in line?

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not much.
    "She is widely known in the skating arena in Europe, New Zealand, Australia and America".
    "She has taken part in competitions in New Zealand, Dunnedin where she place second place, Europe such as Estonia, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Austria where she won gold in Junior League and the Youth Olympic games worldwide. At national level she has averaged at first place twice and second place once."
    WTH??

26. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I think the next skater would be Inga Janulevičiūtė of Lithuania.

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Inga Janulevičiūtė!!! :swoon:

Diacritical marks!!! :cheer2:

28. falling_dance

I don't see that in the current version.

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I clicked on the link in your post above...but now I see that was an older version.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is this a given, or just speculation?

I mean, isn't the reason Kerry is doing this so SHE can go to the Olympics? Or just to spite Han?