Australian dispute over women's Olympic spot to have Court of Arbitration (CAS) hearing

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but maybe because that's their hope?

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

She was sick. I'm pleased if she stayed away from the rink; means she wasn't making other skaters sick - including her brother!

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great news! :cheer:

I still feel angry about Han being deprived of being announced for the Olympic team together with the other athletes and having all this stress interfering with her preparation for the Olympics but at least justice was done.

All the best to Chantelle Kerry. I hope she can continue to improve her skating and earn an Olympic spot in the future based on her own merit and not legal action.

Off-topic but yes, they were terrible. ;) You can see for yourself: Bo Luan/Yao Bin - 1984 Olympics SP

And look at his teams now. :)

4. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why Chantelle Kerry isn't going to FCC? Besides Brooklee she's the only Australian skater age eligible and with the min TES so the spot is not being used at all.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Maybe she's still sick. :p

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

IIRC the two were thrown together and ordered to compete in pairs without having any real training or preparation. I'm not sure why this happened.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Has the Australian Team for Four Continents been announced? I can't find the listing on either ISA's website or their Facebook page.

I wonder if the junior ladies' champion, Kailani Craine is going to Four Continents. I believe she has the minimum TES required.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

2014 Four Continents Championships - Entries

9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I was also hoping that Kailani Craine would be entered but I can't recall her competing Senior this season and I guess she wants to focus on Junior Worlds.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe it is because I spent yesterday watching novice pairs- but that didn't seem too bad. Except the death spiral (which happens to good teams too on the rare occasion...) and the pairs spin (which are always awful even when done well) the program was okay. The twist was bad but not terrible, the SBS spins mostly together, the footwork decent.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  12. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Chantelle was ill, looking a bit green around the gills as her brother and her skating mates were chosen without her. I bet she was at home in bed, sick, just sick, all day long. I really do wish her luck in her future skating endeavors. She is going to need it.

Go Brooklee! Free from the chains of red tape made by her competitor, she can skate with freedom and represent her country with pride. I hope Brooklee not only enjoys all of the Olympics, but also skates better than she ever has in competition. Then she can tell us all about her experiences in the media afterward. I want to read all about it. I hope she makes a big international splash, actually. I hope she skates well enough to become a skating star in Australia and show this other girl how it should be done.

13. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

Are you out of your freakin mind?

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Maybe Ice Skating Australia doesn't have the funds to send a second lady overseas after spending all that money to defend itself in the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

:shuffle:

15. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Australian skaters pay their own way to most competitions.

Kailani is too young for Fcc.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Craine has the 4C's minimums from Lombardia, but she was only 14 on 1 July 2013.

17. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Money, goodwill, does it really matter?

Her Federation is under no obligation to submit her name, and why should they?

19. Skittl1321

Melissa Bulanhagui (PHI) learned a really important lesson about not pissing off the federation this year. She has been essentially forced into retirement, as she seems to be persona non grata with them, and transferring to another country would require her to sit out years she doesn't have.

Hopefully this will not affect Chantelle Kerry in the same way, long term.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  20. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

In a perfect world, it shouldn't affect Kerry. But nobody likes being sued. And being seen as litigious, difficult, and arguably unreasonable wouldn't help anyone's cause.

Even though I am not a fan of Kerry's actions with respect to Han, I do think Kerry should be given every chance to compete and participate -- assuming she qualifes -- in the future.

O-

21. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

So is Chantelle Kerry's non-participation at Four Continents final? Is this her decision or the Australian Federation's?

22. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It will not affect her in any way, shape or form.

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

It wasn't at the top competitive level, of course (which is embarrassing at that level). But in the sense of having learned from watching grainy training tapes, what a courageous effort! Their stroking was good and sbs okay to a degree, tho' the spinning was very poor and they couldn't sustain unison, but the seed of it was there. They went into the death spiral very promisingly, but again could not sustain good technique.

I absolutely love the kind and instructive commentary by Dick Button and Jim McKay! :) And 26-year-old Yao Bin :cool:, what a heartthrob. This experience remained forever indelible in his mind and spurred him on to create champions over many long and hard-working years.

Dick Button commented in 1984 that Chinese skating on ice was not new, just the competitive aspect. Here's proof: :)

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/this-old-chinese-figure-skater-has-smooth-moves-awesom-1496389210

Sorry the above is OT in this thread: Good luck to Brooklee Han!

24. Skittl1321

I don't think there is anyway to know that. Assignments/name submission are made by people, not robots. Any assignment she doesn't get; she will likely question whether she is being slighted because of this or not. Already, before I posted, people are asking if her name was not submitted to 4CCs as "punishment" or if she chose not to go. If her name was not submitted (and I have no idea)- do you think she isn't wondering why?

25. icebug

icebug New Member

I believe Chantelle chose not to go to 4CC. ISA does not 'punish' its skaters by not giving them assignments.

26. Aussie Willy

Actually I do because I am involved in the sport and know people on ISA. I do get to hear a lot of stuff from a number of sides. There are things that I don't like what ISA do but "punishing" athletes is not part of it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

I'm sure Chantelle Kerry actually has a lot of support within the Aussie skating circle, going by what those who are involved with ISA have posted in this thread.

28. Aussie Willy

Who on ISA has been posting? Do tell.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

I didn't say "on ISA" but "involved with". And I was referring to you since you just spoke about how much you knew about the inner-workings of ISA and what they're thinking.

30. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I highly doubt that ISA is punishing Chantelle or that they intend to punish her in the future. She is still Australia's #2 girl, and probably still the future for australian skating.I dont think they would ever consider trying to push her away from the sport. Im sure if Chantelle had submitted for 4CC then she would have been submitted.

I know Chantelle has had some problems with foot injuries and illness, but to not even submit your name for 4CC seems to me as though she is having a tantrum.