aussieSKATES exclusive: update on Cheltzie Lee

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by aussieSKATES, Nov 1, 2011.

1. aussieSKATES

aussieSKATES Member

Australia's 2010 Winter Olympian and 3 - time World Team Member, Cheltzie Lee puts competitive figure skating on hold to concentrate on her university studies.

After training non - stop for the last four years, Lee decided to take this season off from competition to focus on her first year of university and in her own words, "to live a little". Last week Lee finished her first year of university with high distinctions, grades she is ecstatic about.

Early last season and in 2008 when she was injured, her recovery programs were more intense than actual on-ice training. Now pain free, Cheltzie continues to train on and of the ice at home in Sydney, and has just finished off two weeks working with the 1980 Men's Olympic Champion, Robin Cousins.

Cheltzie is also excited about starting next season refreshed, healthy and much improved.

www.aussieskates.com

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

So it's NOT a retirement after all! Sweet!!

3. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Great news! :rollin:

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Awesome!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's fantastic news! Thanks very much. :)

6. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

She didn't retire then? YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :encore::respec::cheer2::40beers::rollin:

7. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

FANTASTIC! She is way too young and talented to truly retire now.

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

She's smart in more ways than one. I hope to see her skating again, but if not, she appears to be multi-talented so I'm sure she will be successful in whatever she pursues.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Hold on, that doesn't make sense. She took the season off to focus on her first year of university but it has just finished. :confused:

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!!! :cheer2:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

12. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Maybe the schedule is different in Australia?

13. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

The year is different in AUS. When northern hem. is starting for the school year southern hem. is winding down. So, did she take off last year or is she taking off this coming year? Her second year of Uni will start in Feb. She did not do AUS Nationals last year, does this mean she will not do them this coming December as well?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

What I meant is that if her first year (that she wanted to focus on) has just finished, she could resume a competitive training schedule now and compete at 4CC, Junior Worlds (if she's still eligible) and Worlds.

15. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

Still not getting it, she did 4CC and Worlds last year - when is the time off?

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Excellent!

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I doubt very much she will be competing at Nationals.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

http://www.educationabroadnetwork.org/?id=3348

She must have continued training while studying and then stopped the training after Worlds. She's hardly the first full-time university student to compete at Worlds.

19. os168

os168 Active Member

Yeah great news on Cheltzie, love her SP at worlds 2011, hope to see her soon.

Yup OZ has different seasons to majority of the world ;P so it must have distorted the school terms from the rest of the world.

Their Summer is around Xmas time, Autumn start in May, Winter start in June (Our summer), then Spring start in Sep. Although the weather and the climate varies widely from north to the south it being a very big country/continent.

20. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

"The majority of the world", "the rest of the world"? Half of the world (the southern hemisphere) shares the same seasons as Australia, and the majority of that half also share the same university and school academic years.

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Nice news! :encore:

22. os168

os168 Active Member

Okay by that means the FSU figure skating world world ;). Are there many figure skaters of fans from South America, Southern Africa or Antarctica in general?

23. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

You need to update your geography. There are many more countries in the southern hemisphere. And yes, there are fans and skaters in, and from, the southern hemisphere.

24. os168

os168 Active Member

Well geography is never my strong suite anyway (Duh!)... well it seems in my attempt to be helpful I might have slighted some of those in the southern hemisphere :p Apologies, no harm intended.

But still, according to Wiki, I am not that far off? (Ok, I missed New Zealand, Parts of Indonesia etc..)

25. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Well, Worlds was in March, which would have been at the very beginning of the Australian University year, so presumably she backed off on training for the remainder of her first year at Uni.

As stated, the University year has just ended, and Nationals is early December - no time to put together a programme for that.

I'm really impressed that she got High Distinctions - that's not easy to do, particularly in first year when you're usually studying a lot of subjects.

26. Aussie Willy

I am in southern hemisphere and I wasn't slighted at all. :D It is not such a big deal anyway.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are the only three southern hemisphere ISU figure skating members, right?

Four Continents Championships are in February, enough time to put together a program for that and Worlds in March, no?

Given Cheltzie Lee is head and shoulders above any other Aussie ladies, I am sure that the fed wouldn't demand her to compete at Nats (and if they would, they need their heads examined ;P).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  28. icemarker

icemarker New Member

is her heart really going to be in it as it was announced just after worlds this year that she will not be competing. NOW SHE IS??? Confusing !!!

are there not any other female skaters can take up the challenge.

What is happening with men and dance ??

29. Aussie Willy

I think you are right there.

She didn't compete last year at Nationals and got selected for 4CC and Worlds.

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

What a thoroughly sensible plan. I wish Rachael Flatt had done this in 2010-2011, but oh well. It would have resulted in more time off for her, but still, it doesn't have to be the end of a skater's career.

I hope she makes a complete recovery from her injuries and has a successful comeback!!