Aussie Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Oz_sk8ting_mum, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Are you just trying to stir trouble? Why would someone say that when they have no proof?

2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

This is exactly the sort of crap Australian skating does NOT need. People talking rubbish, hinting darkly at wild conspiracy theories, dishing out gossip as "fact". Australian skating has a hard enough time getting taken seriously as a sport to begin with without idiots like you two carrying on like eleven-year-old girls.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I totally agree. It really is unnecessary to be making such comments. We are such a small skating community and to read some of this stuff is embarrassing to say the least.

4. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

oh come on... Everyone talks like this about the high level skaters. Whether they deserved to win, or lose, they should've gotten higher, the judges obviously favor them. Why do we have this idea that it is forbidden for Australian skaters. really?

I agree on the matter though, in an Australian competition, Chantelle is likely to win. Competing anywhere else I would expect a very different result.

5. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

It is no secret that Australian judges prefer Chantelle. Yes her short program was great at skatedownunder but she received higher scores than what she would overseas.

Internationally if both were clean brooklee would win, but in Australia Chantelle gets favored and receives higher PCS

You can disagree if u like but this is reality. so why would brooklee come to nationals if chantelle is already in line to win. why risk the olympic spot that she just obtained.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

New interview with Brooklee Han: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/04/63662690
    Excerpt:

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

So her spot for Sochi is confirmed, yes?! And it doesn't matter how she skates at Nationals right? No more Miriam Manzano situation?!

8. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Is Nationals being used to determine which skaters are being sent to Four Continents, Junior Worlds and Worlds?

So for example if Chantelle Kerry wins and Brooklee Han is second, will Kerry be sent to Worlds? Or if both skaters go to Four Continents, will the decision be made there?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  9. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

The Policy Document is at: http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/Hig...rnational Championship Selection Criteria.pdf

The section relating to Worlds states

4.2 World Championships
    (a) Selection for the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships will be allocated to senior age
    eligible athletes from the ISA Senior International Pool who:
    (i) have achieved the ISU Minimum Technical Scores for World Figure Skating
    Championships 2014 by 26 January 2014.
    The ISU minimum Technical Scores for World Figure Skating Championships 2014 as
    published by the ISU are:
    Men SP 34.0 FS 63.0
    Ladies SP 26.0 FS 46.0
    Pair Skating SP 24.0 FS 41.0
    Ice Dance SD 28.0 FD 38.0
    and
    (ii) have competed in the Senior Division of the 2013 AFSC or have been granted an
    Exceptional Circumstance for the 2013 AFSC
    (b) If more than one (1) athlete in each discipline has met the above requirements, athletes will
    be evaluated by the ISA Selection Panel based on their two highest:
    (i) Technical Element Scores (short program/dance); and
    (ii) Technical Element Scores (free program/dance); and
    (iii) Total Points Scores
    achieved at any two of the following events:
     2013 AFSC;
     2013/2014 ISU International Competitions in the current international skating season;
    and
     One 2013 ISU Championship event
    (c) The mean of each of the scores obtained for 4.2(b)(i),(ii),(iii) above will be calculated. The
    highest aggregate ordinals of the scores will be used to determine nominations. In the case
    of a tie in the ordinals of the scores, then the athlete with the highest short program/dance
    TES will determine the nominations.
    (d) The nominations will be published on the ISA website (www.isa.org.au) by 3 February 2013.
    Subsequently ranked athletes will be entered as substitutes.
    (e) If ISA is unable to fill the full entry quota by 26 January 2014, then ISA will consider any
    athletes in the ISA Senior International pool who are able to achieve the ISU Minimum
    Technical Score requirements for ISU World Figure Skating Championships between 27
    January and 16 March 2014. Athletes entered into ISU international competitions within the
    specified timeframe will receive a provisional entry for the ISU World Figure Skating
    Championships subject to achieving the ISU Minimum Technical Scores. If more than one
    athlete meets the ISU Minimum Technical Score requirements, the athlete with the highest
    short program/dance TES will be nominated.

10. Sylvia

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

12. aussieSKATES

aussieSKATES Member

Chantelle Kerry won Skate DownUnder in August.

Prior to that, Joanne Carter won Piruetten in 1998.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  13. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Talking about it doesn't mean that it is true. And if you feel the right to talk about conspiracy theories, others have the right to object to it. If you think the rules are not fair. then write in to change it. Conspiracy theories do not paint a good picture of any organisation and they have the right to demand proof to support the negative theory. If I am a rich organisation, I will take legal action. This is defamation to a certain extent.

14. Sylvia

Re-posting from the "New Skate Guard Articles/Interviews" thread in GSD:
    Excerpt:

Q: The Australian National Championships are coming up, what are your goals for this season and what can you share about your new programs for this year? 

A: I have a few different goals this season. I am happy to say I have already achieved my first goal at the 2013 Cup of Nice just a few weeks ago, which was to gain my Four Continents and Olympic TES scores. Some of my other goals of the season are to skate a new personal best in both programs at Nationals and make the 2014 Australian Four Continents team. For my programs this year I am skating to "Pagliacci" and "Nessun Dorma".

15. Sylvia

Brooklee Han article before Australian Nationals: http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/sports/redding-skater-awaits-word-olympic-bid-australia

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

What? So her place isn't already confirmed?!

17. Sylvia

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Am I missing a thread in Kiss and Cry about Australian Nationals, or is the competition only being discussed here and in the CAS hearing thread?

I really enjoyed watching the Novice Dance: simple skating and simple lifts. I only see Eliza Smyth and Jordan Dodds listed for international competition, and they're Juniors. I couldn't hear the name of Matthew Dodds' partner, with whom he competed in Senior Pairs. they seemed to have lots of speed, and their one-foot, change direction footwork into their jump combo was wicked. Their lifts had lots of ice coverage, but I was a little scared watching his feet in the turning lifts, although he seemed quite stable. She fought for her landings, while the younger Pairs women seemed to collapse into theirs. I wish they could go to Gauthier for some extensive coaching. None of the Pairs get high at all in the double twists.

ETA: Love the coaches trying to cheer up the gladiator kid in KnC.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  19. Sylvia

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Many thanks, Sylvia!

21. Sylvia