Aussie Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Oz_sk8ting_mum, Aug 8, 2012.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Too bad Macquarie or the Sydney Ice Arena couldn't have been selected. Rae is right. Canterbury is pretty scary at night, and this is coming from someone who lives near Footscray in Melbourne.

From memory, the arena is quite old but in the process of being repainted.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

And a bit more ...

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I heard Canterbury decided to do some big renovations after the fire.

4. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Canterbury Ice Rink update: Called in there yesterday: The ice is due to melted early next week and a new ice floor laid. That means all sand up and pipes relaid, then ice relaid. A new roof has been installed, builders are working and painting is happening - but bear in mind the facility is 43 years old. For those who don't know, Canterbury Olympic Ice Rink is a Co-Operative that was built with $30,000 seed money donated by skaters in 1969 after every rink in Sydney was closed and there was nowhere to skate. Opened March 5, 1970 and housed in what could only be described as a tin shed - those echos remain, but much had changed also. It is a "work-horse" rink with a heart. Every dollar - to this day - that is earned by the operation of the rink, goes back into sustaining the rink for all skaters (figure,hockey,speed, public, skating school) and in supporting and providing the best ice time possible for each discipline. The rink has been the training ground for almost every Australian figure skating Olympian since 1984 (Peter and Liz Cain, Vicki Holland, Tracy Brook, Monica McDonald and Rodney Clarke, Cameron Medhurst, Stephen Carr and Danielle McGrath, Joanne Carter, Stephanie Zhang, Cheltzie Lee) and also Olympic Gold Medallist Steven Bradbury. Canterbury was also home to Australia's first ever Winter Olympic medal (short track bronze) at Lillehammer 1994. There is much to be proud of, but always much more to do. The challenges to keep the rink going over the decades have been immense, but to be able to hold Skate DownUnder as an historic first-ever ISU figure skating competition this August in NSW will be absolutely fabulous. There will be an enormous welcome to all visitors for Skate Downunder at Canterbury. (Please remember that it will be at the end of the Australian winter and still quite chilly).

5. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

I made a mistake. Canterbury Ice Rink opened March 5, 1971 (not 1970).

6. misskarne

Pah. You Sydneysiders don't know the meaning of chilly. :p

7. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

How is Sydney paying for this competition ?? They have no money especially after the renovations ??

8. aussieSKATES

aussieSKATES Member

So many great Australian names from the past. Tracy Brook was a particular favourite from that era. I was so thrilled when she skated to a top 18 finish at the 1987 World Championships.

I loved watching Tracy compete at '88 Nationals held at Canterbury and Macquarie along with Melanie Reyner and Sabrina Moreth. The junior ladies championship was outstanding, too.

Whenever I hear the Princesse Zenobia Ballet from On Your Toes, I still thing of Reyner's gorgeous short program as well.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  9. misskarne

Geez Rae, that timeline's going to be a bit tight for Hollins, isn't it?

It can't be that long till Hollins because the Autumn Trophy's next weekend and that's usually three weeks before Hollins.

10. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

Hollins is being held at Penrith this year because its unknown if COIR will be 100% ready to go.

11. Aussie Willy

It was sensible to move Hollins to Penrith. I would much rather see a great job done of getting Canterbury fixed up than shortcuts taken to get it ready in a hurry.

12. misskarne

+1

13. Aussie Willy

Damn just realised the Skate Downunder is on during the week. I won't have enough work leave to go (need to save it for Nationals and our Xmas work shut down).

14. misskarne

Oh AW that sucks so bad. :( I promise I'll take pics and video and detailed reports. :)

(I almost never have time off, just a few days here and there (mostly for skating), so I always have a fortune's worth of leave.)

15. Aussie Willy

16. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  18. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Yes, according the the Chelzie Lee article she'll be competiting at Skate DownUnder. Top place finisher there gets to qualify for an olympic spot.

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Here's hoping Cheltzie will recover in time and skate well enough at Skate DownUnder and qualify for Nebelhorn!

(either that, or Brooklee Han will do - afterall she came THIS close to qualifying via Worlds).

20. essence_of_soy

Chelztie Lee, Brooklee Han, Chantelle Kerry and Stephanie Zhang are skating off for the lone spot at Skate DownUnder, the Olympic qualification event. Should any of them place inside the top six at the Nebelhorn Trophy, does that earn THE SKATER or THE COUNTRY a place in Sochi?

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  21. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Both, I think.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The skater (or team) can earn an Olympic berth at Nebelhorn for their country; it's up to the federation to decide which skater (or team) goes to the Olympics via Nationals results, a skate-off at an international competition, etc.

23. essence_of_soy

Thank you for clarifying.

24. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Yes + still unknown ISU TES minimums.

25. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

26. misskarne

27. essence_of_soy

I'm surprised to see Cheltzie Lee not listed in the senior ladies' event.

Or will she be skating at Winter Sun?

28. misskarne

Possible, since both Hollins and Wintersun are the ranking events this year.

29. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I don't think Cheltzie will be skating at all.

30. essence_of_soy

That's a shame. From the recent article about Cheltzie linked to this thread, it sounded like skating has taken quite a toll on her body.

Still, Lee has a lot to be proud of. Being an Olympian and a three - time world team member are tremendous achievements.