Aussie Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Oz_sk8ting_mum, Aug 8, 2012.

1. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

X
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

3. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Good luck to all skaters at Hollins!
  4. misskarne

Great to see three pairs at Hollins last night. Jordan Dodds and Eliza Smyth's SP is just gorgeous. And Matthew and Paris were really skating with power and conviction, I thought.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  6. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Do we know which skaters want to be considered for JGP Assignments yet?
  7. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Hollins Trophy/AUS & NZL competitions thread in Kiss and Cry:
  8. misskarne

Argh, Dilli! She did that long program so nice at Autumn Trophy only a few weeks ago!
  9. Sylvia

Here's the Announcement for Skate DownUnder, Australia's new Senior B, August 20-22, 2013, in Sydney: http://waisa.org/Skate_DownUnder_files/Skate Down Under 2013 - Announcement.pdf
    "ISU Members may enter up to 4 competitors for each category in Ladies, Men, Pairs and Ice Dance and their substitutes.
    The entries must reach the Organiser by Saturday 20th July 2013 at the latest."

Danielle O'Brien mentioned last month (in her first blog on the AOC site) that she and Greg Merriman plan to start their international season at Skate DownUnder before attempting to qualify an Olympic dance spot for Australia at Nebelhorn: http://corporate.olympics.com.au/news/taking-our-place-on-the-stage-danielle-o-brien-s-blog
  10. misskarne

The announcement is trying to tell us that Canterbury is heated. :lol:
  11. Rae35

Rae35 New Member

Yes, that provided a giggle for me too. Aussie style heating.... woolly jumper.
  12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Compared to Penrith, Canterbury has heating.
  13. Sylvia

Link to the Skate DownUnder competition thread that's been started in the Kiss and Cry section (open for viewing by all until ~ July 1, 2013): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88356-2013-Skate-DownUnder-(20-22-Aug)

Dates for WinterSun are 3rd to 7th July 2013.
  14. Sylvia

New article on Danielle O'Brien & Greg Merriman: http://ice-dance.com/main/news/gene...erriman-ready-for-a-successful-olympic-season
    Excerpt:
  15. Aussie Willy

Thanks for posting the article about Dani and Greg.
  16. JumpinghighJen

JumpinghighJen New Member

Hi everybody,

I'm currently living in London and going to Perth next month and going to stay for 3 months. I am not able to bring my skates :-( , so I wondered, are there any Perth skaters on here who'd be up for regular off ice practice during those 3 months? :)
  17. Sylvia

Re-posting these pre-competition links from the 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry:

Australian article with Danielle O'Brien/Greg Merriman focus & quotes from Massimo Scali: http://www.burwoodscene.com.au/2013/09/26/hot-competition-for-last-winter-olympic-places/
    To view Danielle and Greg’s interview that aired this week on ABC in Australia, go to:
    http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/media/29BCFAB0-24DD-11E3-ACF0005056A37760

Good starts today for O'Brien/Merriman (50.52 in SD, new ISU PB score, currently 3rd among the Olympic qualifying countries; 5 slots) and Brooklee Han (48.74, currently 5th among the Olympic qualifying countries; 6 slots); Brendan Kerry competes his SP tomorrow.

ETA:
    Another Aussie skaters preview article: http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/last-olympic-spots-on-the-line
    Article after the Short Dance: http://www.burwoodscene.com.au/2013/09/27/aussie-ice-dancers-deliver/
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  18. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Brooklee Han killed it with that skate! She's got an Aussie spot for Sochi! Well done!
  19. Aussie Willy

It is great that Australia has 3 events we may qualify skaters for in the Olympics. Very exciting for our sport.
  20. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Cheers to all the countries that just made the cut off! :40beers:
  21. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

This is someone else's idea, but I'll shamelessly copy

#australiaforteamevent2018 :)
  22. misskarne

haha! Let's make it trend!

#australiaforteamevent2018

*running around in hyper-excited circles*
    beepbeep and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Aussie Willy

:lol: Yeah I will go with that one as well.

We just need to get some more pairs happening. As great as the Dodds boys are, we need some more guys to step up.
  24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well done Brooklee Han. I guess she gets it, she takes it, yes? Cheltzie Lee hasn't competed internationally in about 200 years and probably doesn't have a qualifying score anyway.
  25. misskarne

It'll be either Brooklee or Chantelle, I would imagine; and I think Australian Nationals may have a bearing on the outcome (early December). But I think in this case, Brooklee got it, Brooklee goes.

Cheltzie is doing a masters at uni.
  26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

27. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

It's not Brooklee's spot, it's Australia's spot. I think Nationals will play into who goes, but I think it will end up being Brooklee. Her skates were both great - loved the free, and she moved up a lot!
  28. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Great job Brooklee! Congrats!
  29. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

My understanding of the team event qualification procedures is that if Australia - through the points they earn this year - were able to be in the top 10, they could compete in the team event.

This is because they've qualified in two disciplines, and are able to field an entrant in a third discipline.

Icenetwork implied you could only bring non-qualified skaters in one discipline if you qualified entrants in the three other disciplines. I think a country needs only to qualify entrants in two disciplines.

But even if I'm right and icenetwork is wrong, they are a long shot as they would have to out-earn GBR, Estonia and potentially the Czechs on the GP this season. 126 points separate the four countries. GBR is in the 'lead' and Australia is 126 points behind.

ETA: If a country only needs to qualify in two disciplines, this means Spain is in, so they now all have to catch the Ukranians, who are in 10th place with 991 points.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  30. Aussie Willy

Thanks for explaining Coco.

Just seen the results of the dance. Fantastic for Dani and Greg. Great for Australian skating and just to boost we need for our sport. It will mean that next year there will be a big promotional opportunity for skating. I really hope the skate schools across the country boom.
  31. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Certainly, having successful local skaters and giving them the publicity will help raise ice skating interest. I didn't realise I have some friends who love to watch figure skating until I posted my favourite skater on my Facebook since ice skating is not a much talked about sport in Australia.

Our skaters did a wonderful job in spite of the incredible shortcomings in Australia. Kudos to their parents who probably had to drive them many kilometres to practice every day.

If we can promote ice skating to the children, there may be more interest to take up ice skating. I think one set back is lack of skating rinks around Australia. How many skating rinks are there in Melbourne? Brisbane has only two ice rinks.
  32. Aussie Willy

Melbourne has two venues. The two rink facility at Docklands which is world class. The other is Oakleigh which is not full size and has probably seen better days. We badly need another one in Melbourne to cater for all the ice sports. Hockey is pretty desperate for another one.
  33. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Count me in, too!
  34. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

double post
  35. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I guess the rink in St Kilda is long gone :)
    It's where I learned to skate as a child - got good at going around and around in a big oval, and waltzing with my sister :lol:

Thrilled for all the Aussie skaters getting Oly spots :cheer:

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi :biggrinbo
  36. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

37. Angelskates

38. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Yes, the thought of that makes me nervous too. The games are still six months away.

Years ago Nationals used to be held in Winter around August / September.

To keep skaters training and motivated, for qualification to international events such as the World Championshps the following March, national competitions like The Summer Trophy were used to determine who would go.
  39. Angelskates

What if someone else blitzes the qualifiers' scores? It's not likely, but possible. I don't think one event (regardless of what it is) should determine who is sent. I don't think it ensures the best skater (at the time) is sent. Again, I think the skaters who qualify will probably be the ones on top at nationals, but I still think the Olympic spots shouldn't be determined already.
  40. Jumpin Bean

Jumpin Bean New Member

By standing by the skaters who qualified the places it allows funding to ensure our skaters aren't just making up the number.
    Any skater who wants to demonstrate their true loyality as an Australian figure skater will be at nationals. It is possible that the excuse handbook will be dragged out, only time will tell.