Aussie Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Oz_sk8ting_mum, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

2. icemarker

icemarker New Member

there is a lot of names down for ranking, is there a need to rank down to novice? Seems a little early in the season to rank skaters from one competition and not take into account previous years results. Skaters could have been injured and missed out on rankings.
    Then there is international pool that is also ranked, but is taken on previous years results. + ISA selected event(wintersun) for international postings.
    oh well there must be some reason, but anyway for the seniors & juniors the required ISU TES is the most important mark to get.

3. icemarker

icemarker New Member

4. Oz_sk8ting_mum

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Brendan Kerry appears not to have any international assignments. Did he not qualify?

6. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

I don't understand the rankings, it does not seem to take into account any Internationals and several people seem to missing from this document. This just appears to be the technical scores achieved at Wintersun.

7. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Or Nationals!, you can be the Current Australian Champion be in the international pool and have no Aus Rank...:lol:

8. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Good Question??? Surely that can't be the case. Maybe he didnt apply.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

They are based on Winter Sun.

10. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

That seems very strange considering he won the JGP spots for Australia's Men with his Junior Worlds Perfomance. Also he is not listed for any Senior B's which you would think he would be doing as he has an OWI scholarship you would think he would be trying to put a bid in for Socchi.

11. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

So does that mean that rankings are now based only on Wintersun? It doesn't make much sense to me.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Any news on Cheltsie?

13. icemarker

icemarker New Member

Well he has the TES for 4CC so I suppose he doesn't need to do Senior B but I am a little surprised that he is not at least doing 1 JGP. Maybe he is sick, injured, or HSC whatever is a little strange.

Good to see Mark Webster doing 3 Senior B comps and looks back in action after injury last year. Very strange that he is not listed as an OWI athlete??
    also good to see cheltzie on the list after a bit over a year off.

14. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

I think Mark was an OWI athlete but he lost his scholarship, not sure why.

I agree that it is very strange for Brendan not to do any JGP's, his sister is doing two so you have thought they would have gone together, maybe they could not get their assignments to match up.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Brendan Kerry is definitely the most promising Aussie male skater competing at the moment so I would imagine he is injured (or quit skating?).

16. icemarker

icemarker New Member

while I realize that people have their favorite skaters, this is quite an important year for the skater and really needs to be doing competitions whether they are promising or not. I do however disagree that he is the most promising male skater competing atm, he is not been allocated a International event, and also did not perform that well at wintersun. I think that David is very promising and skated very well at hollins and wintersun, but I wouldn't count out Mark at this stage. If you refer to his details on ISU it says he had major surgery last year on his hip, and he did a good job in the short at 4CC so we will see what the year unfolds.

17. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

This is the SEASON RANKINGS ... Nationals was last season. The ISA selection event was Wintersun, if the national champion didnt skate at Wintersun then they have no 2012-2013 season ranking.

18. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Good to see Kailani competing overseas

19. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Yes it is! :) Good Luck to her!!

20. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

Lets hope David can match Brendan internationally, that is yet to be seen. He seems to be inconsistant and does not have the same international experience as Brendan, but I hope he can replicate his Wintersun skate at his JGP's. Is it true that David make a coaching change and if so does anyone know why.
    Brendan may not have performed well at Wintersun but he performed well at Nationals, 4CC's, Junior Worlds and had a good shot at Senior Worlds. David did not skate well at Nationals or that well at his JGP outside of Brisbane (his home rink).

21. Oz_sk8ting_mum

David also skated very well at Hollins this year.
    I believe he is now with Valentin & Irina who have moved from Perth to Brisbane.

22. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

Thanks for the update. David seemed to be doing very well with his old coach, so the change just seems a little strange.

Is anyone able to say why Brendan is not competing this season? Is he injured?

Also agree it is great to see Kailani is going to compete internationally, it is a shame she didn't get a JGP.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong but last season Kerry was landing all triples up to the 3lutz with reasonable consistency as well as 3lutz(or flip?)/3toe combos and rotated 3axel a few times, right?

When is the last time we've seen this kind of jump arsenal from an Aussie skater?

24. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

We can't forget, though, that Mark Webster made significant improvements in the 2010-2011 season--eventually leading to rotating and landing a 3A at Four Continents in 2011. It was surely his injury that held him back this last season from making any more progress. In any case, whether it is through Webster, Kerry, or Kranjec, I am sure we will be seeing some stronger jump content from the Australian men soon.

25. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Watch out also for Cameron Hemmert he is coming back off injury and landing 3 Lutz, 3 loop and 3 Toe (in practice) and caught the eye of Brain Orser when he was out here.
    He is Currently training in Canada and will be at the JGP in Istanbul. We have a couple to watch .. It's nice :)

26. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Thank you for the updates.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  27. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

I would assume so, since he has a lower ranking than the other junior eligible men.

28. Oz_sk8ting_mum

How do you figure that?
    He is in fact 1st ranked in the standings in the international pool both for Junior and Senior.

29. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Wow O'Brien and Merriman are competing five times :eek:
    But the Crystal Skate and NRW Trophy have overlapping dates - can they really do both events?

30. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Sorry he has a lower "Seasons ranking" and shouldn't we be sending the best skaters of the season away.
    Just because someone has previously been skating well doesn't mean they are now, a lot can change in a year!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012