Aug. 6 on ESPN: Katarina Witt documentary, "The Diplomat"

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks, Sylvia! Don't want to miss it.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder! I remember the original thread about this, but forgot it was getting close to air date.

4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I saw them advertise this last night on ESPN. I've set the DVR :)

5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Sounds fascinating.

6. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I've been watching this whole series and it's great! They're covering many different aspects of women in sports, each of which is fascinating. They've profiled Venus Williams, Pat Summit, women sportswriters, Sheryl Swoopes and Audrey Mestre, a freediver who died trying to break the world record.

7. Simone411

I watched the documentary last night. I was impressed. There was a lot I didn't know about Katarina. One of things I didn't know was that Katarina needed to win her second Olympic Gold Medal in order to be allowed to continue traveling and visiting other countries. Brian Boitano was also in the documentary. I had forgotten that he performed with Katarina in the show, Carmen on Ice. I really enjoyed it.

8. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I missed it. Are they scheduled to repeat it per chance?

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If only a miniscule number of items in the multitude of documents and other items the Stasi had in their files about Katarina have been made public, what else is there to discover?

Angie, for you; and anyone else who hasn't seen it .
    From the "Golden Age"; a skating "special" which really is:

"Carmen on Ice":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYXkjJbS8T4

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. Simone411

Thank you for the video! :)

ETA that I checked the upcoming on DirecTV to see if there was a repeat, but didn't see anything about The Diplomat for now. There is another "Nine for IX" documentary scheduled for August 13th from 7 to 8 p.m. (central). The description of the documentary is "Runner" with no other information available for now.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I watched it last night.

Wow. Katarina was before my time. I only remember her doing professional competitions in the mid 1990s so I had no idea about the whole GDR and the strictness and scrutiny she was subjected to.

It puts her 1988 OGM into persepective: she was literally skating for her life. If she didn't win, she'd end up being a prisoner in her own country for the rest of her life. She basically skated for her freedom.

I thought the documentary was well done and I learned a lot. Admittedly, I didn't know much about the separation of Germany and the civil issues they went through around that time. In school we learned about Nazi Germany and that was pretty much it. I'm shocked to see that those people were pretty much locked in their country...prisoners. It's terrible...

I definitely recommend watching it if you missed it. I have a new appreciation for Ms. Witt now. :)

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's the link to "The Diplomat" discussion thread in GSD with many article and other info links: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88816-quot-The-Diplomat-quot-on-ESPN

If anyone sees repeat times listed for this well-done documentary, hopefully they will post in this thread or the GSD one.

(Simone411, "The Runner" is Mary Decker. And thanks for the "Carmen on Ice" video link, skatesindreams - will repost it in the thread in GSD.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  13. Simone411

Thank you, Sylvia. I've autotuned "The Runner" so I won't miss it. Thanks also for the link to the discussion thread.

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Two more air times for The Diplomat:

Sunday, 8/11, 4-5 am ET, ESPN2
    Monday, 8/12, 2:30-3:30 am ET, ESPN Classic

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I just checked the listings...The Diplomat is not being shown 8/11/13 (today)

16. Debbie S

The time is/was 4-5 AM. It was on overnight last night. I was able to DVR it. And should be on overnight tonight, on ESPN Classic.

17. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

This whole 9 for IX series is quite impressive. I believe there will be one on Nancy and Tonya? If true, wonder when it will air? Good timing with Skate America coming back to Detroit. Not Cobo (no longer standing) but still, "MO TOWN" - the birth place of the "Whack Heard Round the World"

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The Nancy/Tonya program is scheduled in connection with NBC's Olympic coverage rather than the ESPN series, I believe.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Does anyone know if/where I can watch this online please?

20. Debbie S

I think it's on iTunes but I believe you have to pay for it - something like $5.