Au revoir KVDP! He calls it a career.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Despite all the haterz here who were not fans of his skating, I always loved watching him skate. He loved being there, was infectious as hell with his optimism, and dare I say he was nice to look at too? :swoon:

Bye bye Kevin! And well done on your last performance!

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kevin.
    What a wonderful LP it was; a fitting end to a great career!

3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I've always liked him, too. :):)

Good luck, Kevin!

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Kevin's breathtaking quads and 3+3+3 combinations will be missed! :) I wish him the best of luck!

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

double post.

6. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I have also always liked him :)
    His Robin Hood and Pirates of the Caribbean programs will always remain in my memory.

Thank you Kevin and good luck as a coach :)

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I won't believe he's retiring until I don't see him at competitions next year :p

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Awwwww, dang it all. Why did he have to go and age? I truly got on his bandwagon after the first time I saw him -- and I can't recall how long ago that was. Such an enthusiastic skater with little political clout behind him but it seemed he just kept going ... much like the little engine that could. As much as he has been maligned here, he will always hold a special spot in my heart as he pulled off those triple/triple/triple combos. It was a good time, Kevin. Thanks for some memorable moments. Enjoy your life with the Mrs. and here's to maybe seeing some little VDP in the future?

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I love this!

Question:
    How did you absorb components then?

Van der Perren: I never did! Not that I did not want or understand, but I simply was not capable! I can do jumps without components, or I can do components without the jumps, but I cannot do both at the same time.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Enjoyable interview! I appreciate his frankness.

(emphasis mine)

:eek: but it's all consistent with his skating style and a pretty accurate view of the changes in the sport from 6.0 to CoP.

11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:respec: Props to Kevin for truly knowing who he is/was as a skater, and for seemingly not making a big wuzrobbed case on his way out.

I'll miss those buns the most. :D

12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed Kevin. Seems like he was at many of the Skate Americas I attended. There are a few skaters that I enjoyed watching their jumps and he was one of them.
    Will miss him and wish him well. And I always thought Jenna was a lucky girl!

shah and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I'll miss KVP, I've always enjoyed his skating.

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

He's always been very honest and down-to-earth in all his interviews. One of his students (junior skater Eline Anthonissen) is already making very good progress under him, so I'm sure he'll be a great coach. Best of luck to him in the future!

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yeah, and his jumps were nice too ;).

He wasn't the most artistic of skaters, but I appreciated his technical ability and his tenaciousness...and his cuteness. Bye Kevin.

16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

30, Kevin's an old man! He does not mention whether or not his wife will also be retiring, I think I read she wants to go to Sochi, but he talked about shows with her, but not her retiring, is he presently her coach, will he be her coach?

17. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

I loved this interview. He was so honest.

Good luck Kevin.

18. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Lucky Jenna. He seems like a really nice and honest guy. I appreciate him for what he could and did do. And, yes indeed, he was and is quite easy on the eyes (and referring to his swimming training, I would pay good money to see him in a Speedo).

Best of luck to them both.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I love this answer!

20. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Haha, I love his candor! Great interview! Wish him all the best.

21. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Kevin I always have enjoyed watching you skate, thank you and good bye - what an amazing way to finish your career, it was great seeing you live in Nice :cheer2:

22. Nan

Nan Just me

I fell a little bit in love with Kevin the first time I saw him skate his Robin Hood program in person. Over the years, I came to learn he was never going to be one of the "greats," but I was always glad to see him skate.

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I'll miss KVDP a lot. Among many highlights, I'll never forget this Skate Canada 2007 LP to Lawrence of Arabia, wearing a super-bright white-and-gold outfit.

24. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

That was a really good, honest and interesting interview! :kickass:

25. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I found this bit to be particularly charming and classy.

Not. :p

Guess he must have forgotten the part where he was beaten for the World Junior title by a, wait for it, Japanese skater by the name of Daisuke Takahashi.

26. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

That was a fantastic interview. I love that he was aware of his limitations and just tried to do the best he could with them. An interesting insight into the experience of skaters who transitioned from 6.0 to CoP. Wish him the best in the future!

27. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

My husband will forever call flower sweepers "Vandeperrenettes" because of the ones we saw at 2006 Worlds, who happened to have dresses the same color as Kevin's costume.

In 2009 we encountered Kevin, Jenna, and Gregor Urbas on the street walking back from the arena as we were walking to it. Kevin, thanks to the incident above, was one of the better-known skaters to my husband, so when I spotted him and his companions I gleefully exclaimed to DH, "It's Kevin Van De Perren!" I have announced his appearances on TV the same way to DH ever since.

28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

All the best to Kevin! I totally appreciate his honesty. Will definitely miss his wonderful 3-3-3 (and 4-3-3) combinations.
    I remember totally falling for him at the Euros in Warsaw when he won his first bronze and had the audience go crazy about it! That was definitely his moment.

So true and honestly, such a pity. Then you have great names and great talents like Brian end their career on a low note instead of ending it as champions. But well, I guess nothing could've been done about it.

Kevin, I too, like the athletic aspect of skating! ;) there is nothing like a power of a quad performed by a well-build man, not a skinny boy who almost looks like a girl (yes I am talking about Hanyu :p).

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It is an appropriate ending with his first and last senior worlds in Nice.

30. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

That's a good interview. He's definitely been a good representative for his country over the last 12 seasons. I wish him luck on his future endeavours too!